GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me out of buying

Isj

Go Kart Champion
did consumer reports do a 150k+ miles test on the GTI to come up with their reliability score? That's what the OP is referring to and says the DSG is the common point of failure.

Low-Cod-9662

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyway, since all of you SUCK at talking me out of buying this, I bought one :lol: I just pulled into my own driveway.

The 150k metric is not saying that VWs suck or anything. I'm pretty sure many cars will take a fair amount of repair work by then. My coil packs for my Camry busted at like 160k and I had to get towed one day. I'm sure I've repaired enough things on that car too. My only concern was the difference between taking a Camry to 150k versus a GTI. I can understand if I spend like 5k versus say 3k, but if I'm spending say 5x the amount to upkeep the car and its in the shop half the time, then that's certainly a dealbreaker. I have a fair amount of confidence (and I also hope too) that VW doesn't make total pieces of junk and that I can take it to 150k without ripping my hair out.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on the new GTI, you'll love it! :thumbsup:

Bcon

Ready to race!
Anyway, since all of you SUCK at talking me out of buying this, I bought one :lol: I just pulled into my own driveway.

That was quick! Congrats, you'll love it. :)

I doubt you came to a GTI forum looking for dissenting opinions, more likely for reassurance, and you got it.

Enjoy the new ride. What mods are coming up? You know you _want_ to.:happyanim:

RACER00

Passed Driver's Ed
Congats, you will love the car and its little foibles won't be an issue. There are so many great driver roads around SF, you will enjoy the drive, especially along the coast highways. With petrol at about $ 5 you can enjoy the turbo, handling and flipping off the petrol stations as you go by. I get an average round town 28 mpg and on the open road 34 up to Canada and back. Eventhough the VW recommends 91 octane, I get better mpg with 89, car runs great and my local VW dealer mechanic says that its ok to run 89 but no less. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Scumby

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice, man! I can now confidently say and report with dealer invoices that my first actual repair was my a.c. condensor (approx $850.00) after I had over 100,000 miles on my GTI. Everything else I spent my own money on was for factory scheduled maintenance. Toyotas and Hondas aren't much different in that regard...I've researched them both. You should have plenty of worry free miles ahead of you.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Congratulations and good luck!
Yes, reliability was my chief concern as well.
Nothing sucks like frequent unscheduled trips to the dealer.:mad0259:

As I said, in nearly a year and a half, I haven't had any unscheduled service trips.

BangMangler

Ready to race!
Well I certainly can see why Consumer Reports recommended it. It's a good car. Fun to drive, good value, great interior. The only thing really holding me back is reliability. That's all... which it doesn't score too high on in Consumer Reports. Part of this is probably the DSG. I know thats certainly a common point of failure. Its not as reliable as an auto, but its fun and there's a price to pay.

That and the fact that I could be a boring guy and get a cheaper car. I drove it yet again today. Oh so close to pulling that trigger. I just didn't have time to do the paperwork since I had to rush off to a evening class. Maybe tomorrow.

Common point of failure? Is that why APR slams a Stage 3+ (450HP) into a DSG and it handles it without a problem?

If you don't service it when you need to, sure, if can have problems. But if you never get an oil change I promise any engine isn't going to last long either.

m0oZ1

Passed Driver's Ed
My 07 has 80k miles and I have never had one issue out of the car. The 1998 mk3 I had prior to the mk5 is still running strong to this day. VW makes dependable cars don't be fooled.

The main difference is VW makes a car you can drive to work and have fun doing so, not a car you just ride to work in. Some people like to drive, and others like to ride. Which are you?

I am a driver!

Candy11

Ready to race!
Why not keep the Camry as a beater and buy a fun car? I am greatfull every day to have my explorer! Keeps the gti nice and with lower miles!

McQueen77

Banned
it can't be neglected like a camry or accord and still run forever. neglected, this car will fail you but extra TLC and being anal on scheduled maintenance and it'll last. tons of old VW golfs and GTIs cruising around, at least in my neck of the woods..

anyway, congrats!

doveer

Ready to race!
Looks like you bought it already. Great choice. I doubt the TSX or Camry would've sold you on the test drive!

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I came from an MDX so I know that Acura has its fair share of problems. However, the problems I found were often very little things. As a result I considered the TSX and the GTI during the buying process. I ultimately picked the GTI for overall better bang for the buck. The GTI is funner to drive and even if you get the V6 TSX it would never be as nimble to top that off the TSX is going to be discontinued soon (ILX to replace). So rest safe and know you made a good choice with the GTI.

BTW congrats on the GTI purchase :D

Last edited: