GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tune Comparison Chart

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll just put the average of the top and bottom in for Revo unless they want to comment on some hardware specific numbers. Adding Revo and GIAC numbers as we speak.

the newsouth is smoother and better in my opinion too. i also had a couple of those.

No mechanical gauge will ever be smoother than a stepper motor. Faster yes, more accurate yes, smoother no.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Hey, can you send me your excel file and I will create a live google docs version?

I have the google doc version set up already but I can't for the life of me figure out how to embed it. Some of the other forums I am on have the google doc code set enabled. I guess this one doesn't yet.

JhnR

Banned

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Alright, just gave dasVW.com the editing rights to the chart so he can publish it with his other fantastic charts! I'll keep adding/editing it as new info comes in though.

Heretic:GTI

Ready to race!
Interesting about the awe gauge. I'm apr stage 2 and I only peak to 17. Is the 20 requested, or what people actual see on their gauge? Cause if the gauge reads high, then I'm only at 15ish....?
Sorry for jacking the thread.

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
Interesting about the awe gauge. I'm apr stage 2 and I only peak to 17. Is the 20 requested, or what people actual see on their gauge? Cause if the gauge reads high, then I'm only at 15ish....?
Sorry for jacking the thread.

What file on your stage 2 are you using? 91 or 93 octane? I'm pretty sure they are using 93 octane for their logs.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
Great way to view this info. Thanks for gathering it all. Gives me something to give a friend thinking about which tune to get.

Heretic:GTI

Ready to race!
What file on your stage 2 are you using? 91 or 93 octane? I'm pretty sure they are using 93 octane for their logs.

Usually the 91 program. I've used the 93 program plenty of times and I've never noticed a difference, guess I'll have to pay closer attention next time.
Non ethanol 91 is everywhere, 93 is a pain in the ass to find around here so I just stay with that file.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
This is a great reference, in theory. As a bunch of people have said, there are a lot of reasons we'd expect manufacturers' stated power numbers aren't going to be comparable (which is a delicate way of saying truthful).

Here's another anecdote (actually, let's say it's a hypothetical, since it is stupid and dangerous to race on public roads, even in the middle of nowhere, where I certainly would have been had I tried such a stupid thing): Just yesterday I thought a car (APR stg 2 w/ RSC TBE) felt faster than mine (Revo stg 2 w/ downpipe, no cat-back) when I took a ride in it, so we ran them to see if it was true. From 30 and then 20 to about 100-110 we were within a half-car length the whole time. This is the same thing I experienced the couple other times I ran against other GTIs with different but comparable tuning brands at stages 1 and 2. To think that I'm producing 15% more boost or 12% less horsepower at any point in the band doesn't seem right to me, empirically.

Anyway, it would be *really* great to add columns for dyno-confirmed peak HP and torque, dyno type, octane/program, and ideally dyno run location/altitude (or a data table to draw averages from for (hopefully) multiple observations if google docs can handle it). Almost all boost meters, dynos, or any other gauges of a complex measure are going to suffer in some way for accuracy. The law of large numbers can account for a lack of accuracy, but it takes a lot of data for it to start to work.

So, I vow to get my car on a dyno as soon as possible, and, if feasible, I'll run VAG-COM the whole time to get boost and other interesting readings. A bunch of people have already posted their dyno graphs on here and elsewhere.

I work with a lot of numeric data for a living, so if you want me to compile it, send what you have my way and I'll happily build the database. Please join me in this noble pursuit. Let's aggregate some data and speak truth to power.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Hey everyone I'll get the first post updated this weekend to include the new info.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Just updated the chart (and first post in this thread). Here is the latest info. Please PM me if you know something I don't so I can add it:

Last edited:

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Anyone have any new info to add? Would like to keep the chart up to date!