GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! Stutter/hesitation under boost then misfiring, CEL then EPC light

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Coils?!

I'm on the stock (newer, revised/upgraded) coils and have been for 3 years while being stage 1 tuned, hoping it sounds like my coils are shot and I'm needing to upgrade to the R8's.

Driving to work this am, get on the highway, punch it a bit to get into boost and up to highway speeds and it stutters, hesitates, won't boost then CEL flashes, EPC comes on and it's misfiring the whole way to work.

Still got me here, turned it off, started it back up and the EPC light did not come on again, idle'd fine. Guessing I just popped a coil under boost? On the way to work, under load, it was misfiring most obviously, when the RPM's got high and I was light on the throttle, it was less obvious.

I don't have a reader to determine what the codes were, if it's sounding like the coils then I'll pop into the local VW shop tomorrow and grab a new set of R8's.

Thanks in advance!

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Sounds like your assumption of it being coils is correct. How old are your plugs and how many miles on them?

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Sounds like your assumption of it being coils is correct. How old are your plugs and how many miles on them?

Sorry, should have added that.

Just changed them 5,000 km (3,000 miles) ago to those NGK platinum ones that have been recommended.

Also, thank you for the response.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
So it only did that shortly after startup and went away after the engine was fully warmed up?

How many miles on the car?

BlueE30

Ready to race!
So it only did that shortly after startup and went away after the engine was fully warmed up?

How many miles on the car?

80k miles on the car.

And no the car was already fully warm, it did it under low boost from 2nd gear, rpm's were like 2500-3000 and I pushed it to half throttle, got into a bit of boost then stuttered and misfired... EPC came on, then was misfiring the whole way in... turning it off and re-starting it got rid of the EPC light, seemed to idle fine too (was previously misfiring at idle).

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
The things that came to my mind were:

-Coils
-Fuel Injector
-Fuel Pump
-Carbon

Or a combo of some of the above. I probably shouldn't be giving any advice though because I'm no mechanic. Just going based on own experience and what I've read/seen.

Oh, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

11gti718

Ready to race!
if you have a VCDS or know anyone that has one, use it. Scan the car and see what code is it throwing. You need to know if any cylinder is misfiring and which one is it. you’ll need to isolate the cylinder. You’ll have to move some plugs to other cylinders and see if any misfire follows. Do the same for the Coils. Then go from there. Thats my suggestion.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Sounds like the coilpacks, I experienced the same symptoms a while back when I punched it and a coil blew. Happened less than 2 days after I went stage 1.

BlueE30

Ready to race!
FIXED

Took it to a local VW shop... They just ran out of R8 coils, getting more in on Monday but scanned the car, was a misfire in cylinder 1, gave me a good used TSI coilpack until Monday when I'll grab the R8's and good to go.

Thanks guys, damn coil packs!

11gti718

Ready to race!
FIXED

Took it to a local VW shop... They just ran out of R8 coils, getting more in on Monday but scanned the car, was a misfire in cylinder 1, gave me a good used TSI coilpack until Monday when I'll grab the R8's and good to go.

Thanks guys, damn coil packs!

if you’re planning on modding the car or keeping it for a while. Invest on a vcds cable. Definitely something worth having. Will save you a lot of money on basic diagnostic fees or to even clear a code. just an advice.