GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI stalling

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
I'm having the same problem with mine. It doesn't happen often so I haven't really cared. I talked to SethMark this weekend about this while I was buying his R-Line grille. My car is going to the dealer tomorrow morning for its 90-day. I'll mention it and see what they say.

djax1

Ready to race!
So far since I switched over to Chevron from Shell I have had no issues.

hm, while the verdict is still not out yet, i happened to stall three times using sunoco 93 and haven't stalled using shell v-power 93. shrug.

bimmerpwr

There is a particular setting that seems to trigger this more than others from my experience.

AC on on max. Fan on speed 1 or 2.
Drive for about 5-10 minutes. Turn off the car with AC settings as above. Park for 5-10 minutes. Then start the car, and it seems to trigger it more often than not. I have close to 3000 miles and use BP93. Second time with BP.

Citco93 seemed to trigger it more than BP93, almost always dead on to the point where I had to make sure AC was off before starting.

It seems almost as if the car doesn't know AC is on and does not kick its RPM higher to make sure the motor can sustain the increased load. It doesn't bother me as much as creaking noises that local VW dealer doesn't seem to hear. My very first VW, loved the car, but I now understand why it's a second rate german brand, no offense.

K3RMIT

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had my GTI for just under one month, and this stalling issue has already happened to me between 15 and 25 times. I was never stranded, and all it takes is a slight tap on the gas to bring the RPMs back up, so I wasn't too worried, especially with all the other people having the same problem. I was just concerned because it was happening to me much more often than anyone else. After I got the rear nozzle drip, I decided to make an appt at the dealer. Well, of course, then it stopped happening. The drip stopped (I'll probably never use it again, lol), and the engine sputtering (I won't let it stall anymore) has only happened once or twice over the last week. It used to happen once or twice a day, sometimes more. I'm about to put the fourth overall tank of gas in the car, and I'm confident that the problem will work its way out, and not be an issue over time. I also want to add that this problem happened to me with the a/c on AND off, on hot AND cool days, and on hot AND cold starts, so I'm not sure that any variables are guaranteed to recreate the problem (for me). This car is so awesome, the last thing that I want to do is leave it at the dealer for even a day. I will definitely reconsider if the problem persists.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
I've had my car start up and stall on me once. Since then I've had a few rough starts, where it will hover around 500-600rpm until I give it a blip of throttle and it smooths out to the normal cold start of around 1k. I've got a completely base model 6MT GTI. I'm also APR Stage 2.

Uberryan

Banned
bump, did we ever get any word on what might be causing this? It's been happening every time I start the car today.

sethmark

Passed Driver's Ed
Here's what I found out. Take your car to the dealer and tell them what the problem is. Ask them to contact the tech helpline. They should update your ECU to software revision 40. That's SUPPOSED to be the fix.

I can't confirm that it works, only that its supposed to.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
It came back again on mine with Chevron. So not sure what the dealy is.

K2k9MKV

Picked my car up two weeks ago and it has stalled twice now during startup. Spoke to the technician manager at my dealership and mentioned to him that I've read about others (referring to others on this forum) that have had the exact same issue. He said, he never heard of it and that it must be uncommon. We made an appointment to have it diagnosed this weekend.

Hopefully all of us have this resolved. As much as it is annoying and has us worried :mad0259: :iono:. I'm almost certain it isn't anything serious and will be fixed.

Here's what I found out. Take your car to the dealer and tell them what the problem is. Ask them to contact the tech helpline. They should update your ECU to software revision 40. That's SUPPOSED to be the fix.

I can't confirm that it works, only that its supposed to.

Thank you for sharing this Seth. I'll definitely bring this too my techs attention.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I notice that quite a few people mentining this start up issue have very few posts and just got their car.
I've got to suspect that a decent portion of these start up issues may be due to new owners not keeping their foot on the brake through the entire start.

Uberryan

Banned
I notice that quite a few people mentining this start up issue have very few posts and just got their car.
I've got to suspect that a decent portion of these start up issues may be due to new owners not keeping their foot on the brake through the entire start.

yeah... no. This does nothing, nor has any effect at all on the frequency of these poor cranks/stalling issues.

I don't think updating the ECU would resolve this. I see this as being more of a hardware issue, such as faulty injectors, etc. Even if I rotate the key a few times to prime the fuel pump, I still get a rough start.

djax1

Ready to race!
yeah... no. This does nothing, nor has any effect at all on the frequency of these poor cranks/stalling issues.

I don't think updating the ECU would resolve this. I see this as being more of a hardware issue, such as faulty injectors, etc. Even if I rotate the key a few times to prime the fuel pump, I still get a rough start.

Agree, after 2800 miles, I experienced another episode of stalling just a week ago. At this point, it's difficult to find out what the cause is, even correlations to the issue. I have an appointment this Wednesday with my dealership to sort this problem out (this and the MDI update plus the wastegate rattle).