GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 09-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
Tech72
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: MkVI GTI 4-DR Black DSG
VW Voiding My Extended Intake Manifold Warranty

So I recently got a CEL for code P0215 intake manifold runner fault. This is the common intake manifold failure for which VW extended the intake manifold warranty to 10 years or 193,000 kms (in Canada). I still have the letter from VW Canada. I took the car to a nearby VW dealership. They did a diagnostics and confirmed the intake manifold issue. But because I am APR Stage 1 tuned, the VW dealership refuses to honour the extended warranty and said they could not do anything. This VW dealership is in westend Mississauga
So I contacted the original VW dealership that did the tune on my car. This VW dealership was an APR authorized dealer and did tunes before VW closed that end of their business a few years ago. The bill for my APR tune was on VW stationary with the dealership's information. Yet, they claim that it's no longer their issue and will not cover the warranty. The Service Advisor claims it's the APR tune and my aftermarket Carbonio air intake that resulted in the intake manifold failure. Isn't the onus on VW to prove that the intake manifold failure is the result of the tune? If the VW dealership did the tune, should they not stand by the work? It's a cheap cop out by this particular VW dealership.

Update:
I got a call back from the VW dealership that did my tune, this time from the Service Manager. He suggested that I bring in my car for them to diagnose (this will be the 2nd time by two different VW dealerships for a fault that I already scanned and informed them). But sure, let them do their due diligence I suppose. The SM said that I would need to leave my car for 2-3 days for them to verify that the tune and intake is not at fault!! He would also communicate with VW Canada to see if they can apply the warranty. I would need to rent a car for those 2-3 days as a rental is not covered.....

2010 mk6 GTI, DSG
currently at 184,000 kms
APR S1 since 66,000 kms (no issues, until recently with P0215)
VW dealerships in question are Mississauga VW and Georgetown VW

Last edited by Tech72; 09-13-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Tech72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
ahard48
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '14 GTI Wolfsburg Powered By Paypal
Same thing happened to me like 3 weeks ago. I brought it in and they would touch it. I live chatted (or you can call) VW of America explaining the situation and they said to bring it back in and will see what they can do.

Long story short since it was actually covered they did the repair under warranty AND gave me back my diagnostic fee.
APR Stage 1 l APR Carbonio Intake 1+ 2 l OEM Roof Rack l DeAutoKey l Nokya 2500k Fogs l 35% Tint l CW Rear Inlay l HPA shifter/42dd bushings l P3 Vent Gauge l ST Coilovers l Eurojet DP l Beluga Exhaust
ahard48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
The stealerships are quick to partner up with a tuner company but then will do all that they can to avoid repairs and even using it as the reason why they won't. Go figure.
Internal : APR Stage 2+ tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - IE K04 - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
wohv
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 13' CW GTI DSG 4DR, 05' Lexus GX470
I'm not sure why they would avoid touching it, my dealership told me they do warranty work regardless of tune simply because corporate will pay the bill. Now if the tune caused the issue then they avoid touching cars.
Mods: Unitronic Stage 2+ ECU | Unitronic Stage 2 TCU | APR K04 ported/ ceramic coated headers | IE FDS Intercooler | SPM Street TBE | Neuspeed P-Flo | 35% Tint | Neuspeed RSE52 | Michelin PSS | White Grill Stripes | NS Vent Mount Gauge | Golf R Side Skirts | Black Mirror Covers | LED tails
wohv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
Blakcard
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
take it to another dealer...don't tell them about the tune. hopefully you're not flagged in the system.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
Slowgti08
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2008 VW GTI
From what i understand, if a vehicle is tuned the dealership avoids it at all cost. Since VW is aware of this problem, hopefully they look the other way and do it out of good will.
Slowgti08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
fradooooo
Go Kart Champion

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
take it to another dealer...don't tell them about the tune. hopefully you're not flagged in the system.

I agree, just go to another dealer and pretend like you know nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fradooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
BudgetPhoenix
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI
remove the intake and go to a different dealer
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #9
ithrashmotors
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Mk6 gti
Screw the dealership man buy a manifold and have some one swap it on in a day instead of sitting around waiting for techs to do a half assed job that takes them 5 days.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk