GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Detailer's Domain. Have a question ask us?

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
Why should I use a wheel cleaner, how does it differ from just using something like Meg's Gold Class and a brush?

its not bad to use car wash if your wheels are in good shape.

wheel cleaner is designed to move dirt /grime/and more importantly brake dust from wheel.

:thumbsup:

my call would be Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner for the win!

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
During my winter detail, I did the full works, wash, iron x (for iron deposits), wash, autoscrub, compound, polish, seal. Fast forward about two months and I found new rusted iron deposits on the rear hatch.

Did I do something wrong? I know the rear hatch is particular dirty and rough, but I thought the sealant (Griots Paint Sealant) would have better longevity than this.

How should I address this w/o doing a full detail?

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
how often should you get a claybar and wax job? i live in so cal and we get a good amount of sun in the summer but that's about it.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
how often should you get a claybar and wax job? i live in so cal and we get a good amount of sun in the summer but that's about it.

Wax generally lasts up to 4 weeks. Claybar as needed, don't do it if its not needed. Once you strip the wax (before reapplication) feel the paint, if it feels gritty, reclay. Try the plastic bag method (rub hand over paint w/ plastic bag).

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Wax generally lasts up to 4 weeks. Claybar as needed, don't do it if its not needed. Once you strip the wax (before reapplication) feel the paint, if it feels gritty, reclay. Try the plastic bag method (rub hand over paint w/ plastic bag).

ok ive been right on point then. i have been doing it about every other month. i do drive 60 miles a day on the freeway though, so that beats it up too.

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
During my winter detail, I did the full works, wash, iron x (for iron deposits), wash, autoscrub, compound, polish, seal. Fast forward about two months and I found new rusted iron deposits on the rear hatch.

Did I do something wrong? I know the rear hatch is particular dirty and rough, but I thought the sealant (Griots Paint Sealant) would have better longevity than this.

How should I address this w/o doing a full detail?

you did nothing wrong , on white these spots will be the most noticable, what sealant did you use, and do you do weekly washes?

The griots paint sealant I have found does not last that long.

I would consider cleaning it up and either sealing it again with the Griots or maybe pick up something more durable. Again the key would be routine washes, and trust me its easier said than done sometime. :thumbsup:

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion

I would clay when its necessary but for the most part 2 times a year.

how many miles do you do per year?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
you did nothing wrong , on white these spots will be the most noticable, what sealant did you use, and do you do weekly washes?

The griots paint sealant I have found does not last that long.

I would consider cleaning it up and either sealing it again with the Griots or maybe pick up something more durable. Again the key would be routine washes, and trust me its easier said than done sometime. :thumbsup:

I topped off the paint w/ Collinite 845 since. It definitely seems like a solid wax. I wash as often as I can. Being as I live in an apt, this is limited to once every two weeks. I do proper ONR washes w/ warm water (at the coin op).

Any issue in leaving the rail dust there until my Spring detail?

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
I topped off the paint w/ Collinite 845 since. It definitely seems like a solid wax. I wash as often as I can. Being as I live in an apt, this is limited to once every two weeks. I do proper ONR washes w/ warm water (at the coin op).

Any issue in leaving the rail dust there until my Spring detail?

no issues it may just be tougher to remove in the spring.

if we get a warm day like today ; ) it maybe worth it to remove.

but remember its good to protect after you clay.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
2 questions for you if you don't mind?! :)

A) Just picked up a set of wheels pictured below. Looking for any brushes, cleaners etc to help me clean them easier. Thankfully they have large openings that I can reach a sponge into but if there's something better I'm all for it.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1073144&postcount=822

B) I recently iron-x, clay, zaino all in one'd my new car. Paint doesn't seem super smooth/slick or repel a ton of water like I hoped it would. Doesn't have the bumpy feeling so the clay did its job. Did I miss a step? I was in a rush but pretty sure I got the whole car w/ the zaino. Not looking to spend a ton on numerous products but if theres something bang for the buck I'd be happy.

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
2 questions for you if you don't mind?! :)

A) Just picked up a set of wheels pictured below. Looking for any brushes, cleaners etc to help me clean them easier. Thankfully they have large openings that I can reach a sponge into but if there's something better I'm all for it.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1073144&postcount=822

B) I recently iron-x, clay, zaino all in one'd my new car. Paint doesn't seem super smooth/slick or repel a ton of water like I hoped it would. Doesn't have the bumpy feeling so the clay did its job. Did I miss a step? I was in a rush but pretty sure I got the whole car w/ the zaino. Not looking to spend a ton on numerous products but if theres something bang for the buck I'd be happy.

wheel woolies plus sonax would be my choice for those wheels.

add a wheel wax for protection.

links to products
wheel woolies
sonax full effect wheel cleaner
auto finesse mint rim wheel wax

for question 2 I would try Menzerna Power Lock for a super slick protectant

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I'm looking for some suggestions on a good wheel polish/sealant for a set of polished wheels I have. The wheels are raw and have been sanded and polished up to 2000 grit. I'm looking for something that will offer good weather protection and also provide a deep shine.

1) Do you polish the B-piller same as the car? (ie same polish, polisher and speed?)
2) How do you judge which polish to use base on the swirls on your car?
3) After using Adam's detail spray on the winshield (from the drying process), it leaves a lot of streaks when i use the wiper when it rains. (Wipers are clean) Certain that the detailing spray is causing the streak.

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
I'm looking for some suggestions on a good wheel polish/sealant for a set of polished wheels I have. The wheels are raw and have been sanded and polished up to 2000 grit. I'm looking for something that will offer good weather protection and also provide a deep shine.

sure thing take a look here

Auto Finesse Mint Rims