GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$25 Homelink, OEM appearance

bone324

I got my 2012 GTI last month. My previous three cars all had Homelink, so I was disappointed that it didn't come on the GTI (at least the one I got). I read the Stealth Garage Door Opener thread, various Homelink rearview mirror threads, and Orient Express's Homelink posts. Each of them had positives and negatives.

But, my goals were:
1. Keep it cheap and easy.
2. Make it as close to OEM (appearance and reliability-wise).
3. Keep it cheap and easy.

Running wires down the A-pillar and tapping into the fusebox wasn't an option. Buying multiple console buttons and parts and rewiring the homelink was too complicated and too expensive. Installing a battery-powered garage door opener and rigging up a pushbutton in the console to operate it wasn't reliable enough. And the Homelink rearview mirror doesn't look OEM enough (not as square) and also costs too much (about $170).

I went onto ebay and bought a rolling code homelink transmitter in black. I used this tutorial (for the rearview mirror) http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12787 to get into the overhead console. I also used this method of wiring the transmitter in lieu of running wires down to the fusebox through the pillar. I will note that I had to go one step further in removing the overhead console trim to get access to the headliner. It took some doing, but I managed.

I wired it and then slid it up between the headliner and the roof. It's a pretty tight squeeze, and the pressure alone is enough to hold the transmitter in place. With my fingers, I measured (about 10x) to make sure I was cutting in the right place. I cut a slit with a pocket knife (without the transmitter behind it) just wide enough to accomodate the buttons (maybe 1/2 inch) and pushed the faceplate and buttons through the slit into the transmitter. The padding in the headliner is really thick, so before pushing the faceplate on you will need to get under the cloth with some needlenose pliers and gouge some of the padding out to make it thinner (I broke my first faceplate trying to force it through the thick padding, but luckily the seller sent me a new one free of charge).

Anyway, here are the photos of the finished product. The photos make it look like the buttons and faceplate are darker than the headliner. This isn't the case. The flash just makes the headliner look more gray than it actually is. Pretty good for $25 and a couple hours of labor. I should have taken photos of the console removal. If you have any questions on removing it, let me know.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
Beautiful install.

Random idea that I want to write down: I really wish there was a way to rewire the bluetooth button in the overhead to open a garage door. I haven't used that button for anything, and I use bluetooth a lot in my car.

walker

Go Kart Newbie
Nicely done. I would never try that myself. I'd end up just destroying things.

Now you have to get ride of those ugly air bag warning stickers.

clownish

just clowning around
This is some thread necro right here, but it's a clean install. Going to look into it... Was originally goin to just get a genetex mirror like I had in my old SUV.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Bought this piece a couple months ago but never got the balls to cut and tear out part of my headliner. Debating on just installing it down by the carpet next to the middle console.. less a chance of me mangling my headliner.

Farfromfuelen

Bought this piece a couple months ago but never got the balls to cut and tear out part of my headliner. Debating on just installing it down by the carpet next to the middle console.. less a chance of me mangling my headliner.

Did you do it? I bought a homelink off of ebay before seeing this thread. My '14 Golf Doesn't have a sunroof and I'm wondering if there is enough room to install where the sunroom controls would've been.
At least now I have back up options. ;)

I also thought about rewiring the button for the bluetooth as well.

This is what I ordered:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
^^why did you get it in light color? Isn't the TDI interior/headliner anthracite/black? Same thing I bought but in black, I still have yet to install..