GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Full DeAutoKey HID/LED setup for Halogen Housing

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
So this install took me a while because I took my time and tried a few things beforew settling with what I ended up with here. Before proceeding to detail the installation and reviewing the light output, let me recommend having, aside from your normal set of tools:
  • A multimeter
  • High temperature metal epoxy. Here's What I used:
  • Zip ties of various lengths
  • 18-22 Gauge T-Taps
  • 14-16 and 18-22 Gauge Male Disconnects

I will also preface this with saying that you CAN adjust the angle of the low beams from the headlight adjustment to avoid blinding people. THIS IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Please be mindful of others if you install this kit.

Starting with some Pictures of the Kit

The LED fogs kit:
Overview

Close up of LEDs

Extension Adapter

Ballast

Resistor

Resistor Plugs

And The box

H15 High Beams Kit
Overview

The Bulb itself. The halogen bulb is used for DRL only (which you can disable via vagcom)

And the connectors. Red is the is for the HID bulb (connects to the ballast), white is the DRL bulb, and black/white is the common ground.

H7 Low Beams Kit
For the bulb you'll see that there is a high temp coating the obscure some of the light to avoid glare. This is NOT a sticker or cheap tape.

The no tap harness for the H7 kit

The city lights
PIAA on the left, DeAutoKey on the right. The DeAutoKey ones have a deeper blue coating, and the effect is a whiter light out of that halogen light (filtering out the warmer side of the light spectrum and such)

And now let's INSTALL
So the first thing I had to do is take off the bumper to be able to take the headlights off to properly do the H15 HID install.

And look what I end up FINALLY finding

Having taken out the headlight, I start with the H15 (High Beam). Below you'll see the halogen H15 in the socket.

And the following with the bulb out

The harness terminals going from closest to the socket to farthest are
  1. Hi Beam Power
  2. DRL Power
  3. Common ground
Having said that, here's how I connected the T-Taps

Where RED is Hi Beam power, GREEN is DRL power, and BLUE is the common ground. As you can see from the above, with the T-Taps you're still able to use Halogen bulbs if need be.

To connect the HID H15 bulbs safely, I elected to cut off the preexisting connectors and crimping on male disconnects according to the gauge of the wire involved.

Make sure that you check that all your connections are good using a multimeter or other tool that can check connections.

For the H7rc, slide the wires in the slit in the plastic harness. CAREFUL NOT TO CRACK THE HARNESS.

For those there is no need to tap any wires. You also need to make holes in the rubber covers on the back of the headlights.

For the passenger side Ballasts, I mounted the Low beam one on the frame inside the front fender, and the high beam ones on the frame behind the bumper in the engine compartment.
H7 (Lowbeam)

H15 (Highbeam)

And similar for the driver side.
H7 (Lowbeam)

H15 (Highbeam)

You'll note on the driver side you'll have to remove the airbox to mount the H15 ballast at that point. Here's how everything looked in the engine bay after getting put together.

For the fog lights, I elected to use the aforementioned epoxy to glue it to a metal... I don't know what to call it. Here see for yourself:

It's also held there with a couple zip ties going through the wires.

Now with the LED bulbs, you want to fist tighten the base mount on with the supplied very small allen wrench. I tightened them such that the LED modules were on the side.

Also I mounted the ballasts for on top of the fog housing.

Note below, the positive for the fogs is the white wire with a yellow stripe, and the ground is the brown wire.

Then connect everything. Only thing left is to put everything back together and test. And now...

Lets Compare the Low and High Beams with other Halogens
In all the below, the passenger side is all HID.

VS. Nokya Cosmic White Stage 2 Low (H7) and DeAutoKey Halogen High (H15)

VS. Nokya Cosmic White Stage 2 Low (H7) and Stock High (H15)

VS. Generic white (H7)

VS. All Stock

HID

Stock

Light throw Low Beams

Light throw High Beams

And Final Result!!!
Low Beams and fogs

and High Beams

Note that after these pictures I adjusted the angles of the low beams!
Adjusting them is really easy

The following is a nighttime video of the how the low beams + fogs look like from the inside. Note that I have clear Lamin-x on my headlights.

I am personally EXTREMELY happy with this setup! Just in time for shortening days!

Last edited:

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Glad this is being discounted so quickly. I'm curious how it'll turn out myself, so yeah not like negativity is going to dissuade me coz that's not really informative.

If nothing else this'll tell people what not to do :p.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
word, it will certainly dissuade people from doing this. There's a local in chicago that has HIDS in a halogen housing and it absolutely terrible. It blinds other drivers, he gets yelled at constantly and has gotten tickets because of it. Pretty rude and selfish to blind other drivers on the road. Not to mention unsafe.
Well I don't want to do that. People having high beams on in town is definitely annoying AF. Not like I'm going all rally car ;)

Either way I won't be judging this setup until I try it out myself.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Well I don't want to do that. People having high beams on in town is definitely annoying AF. Not like I'm going all rally car ;)

Either way I won't be judging this setup until I try it out myself.

doing what you described is so much worse than driving around town with your high beams on. But sounds like your mind is made up so go ahead and waste the money.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
He is installing H7RC HID kits, not a regular H7 kit in a halogen. We tested these and were never blinded from people driving in the opposite direction. We agree that you should not install a regular h7 xenon bulb in a reflector, that could cause many issues - our h7rc is designed for reflectors to avoid any blinding glare.

Here are photos of them and one comparing it to a OEM projector xenon:
Please let us start that a H7RC xenon bulb is NOT the same as a H7 xenon bulb!
But a H7RC bulb is the same base and design as a regular H7 halogen bulb.

The H7RC bulb is shorter and has material at the base of the light, this allows it to reflect light only in the areas that your current halogen bulb is reflecting. This combination creates the beam angle similar to a halogen bulb which eliminates the blinding glare you normally associate with a xenon bulb in a reflector housing

We read posts everyday about NOT installing a HID kit in a reflector housing, we agree this should not be done as it will blind traffic.

Our new H1rc/H7rc/H11rc xenon bulbs will not blind traffic!
We are blinded everyday by people who installed xenon bulbs in a reflector housing and we want to eliminate the issue and NOT add to it!

Our Xenon bulbs created for the reflector housing won't blind traffic and it will create more visibility for a safer, more enjoyable ride.

The rc Xenon bulb line-up are not like other xenon bulbs - the bulbs are shorter and have material at the base of the bulb which allows the xenon bulb to reflect light in the same areas of a halogen bulb. This feature makes our bulbs unique and eliminates any blinding glare.

All HID/LED options:
http://deautokey.com/category/hid-led-headlight-fog-light-kits

Our HID kit also have an option for plug and play adapters, this is necessary for the Passat B7/MK6 GTI/MK6 JSW/MK7 GTI - in the past and with other kits you have to tap into your wires for power - with the no-tap adapters this is plug & play and does not require any wire splicing!

Model Specific:
HID Kit for CC

HID Kit for MK6 Jetta

HID Kit for Passat B7

HID Kit for MK6 GTI/Golf

HID Kit for MK7 GTI/Golf

HID Kit for the Tiguan

HID Kit for MK6 Jetta Sportwagen

HID Kit for MKV GTI/Golf/Jetta

Universal rc XENON BULBS:
H1rc

H11rc

[URL="http://deautokey.com/product/new-h7rc-hid-xenon-bulb-includes-35w-slim-digital-ballast-with-canbus-adapter"]H7rc[/URL]

Please contact us prior to purchasing any universal listings so we can help set you up with the best option:
http://deautokey.com/contact

We have an endless amount of amazing customer reviews and photos - all photos below are from customers! Hundred of customers cannot be wrong!

Recent review:
I purchased this kit last week and I have to say I am impressed. The transaction went smoothly and the package arrived at my door step in 2 days. The shipping was free and it was still sent 2-day priority mail. Beats waiting 5-7 business days for sure. The kit arrived in very good packaging with no damage. I'm not sure where these parts are made, but they seem to be of high quality. When I was handling the pieces I didn't feel like I was holding a bunch of cheap chinese junk. It appears that this kit is made to last and won't have to be replaced next year like some other aftermarket stuff I've came across

The install was very simple. The most difficult part was trying to get the female bulb connector through the mounting clip. Upon first glance it doesn't appear to fit. But if you wiggle things around and flex the clip a little, it does go through. Everything else was almost too easy.

I bought the kit with the 6000k temp rating. Here is what it looks like

Here is the beam pattern

For comparisons sake, this is the beam pattern with the stock halogen bulbs

All in all, it's a good kit. If you are looking for HID's in your CC I'd recommend this one.

Customer photos of beam cut off while driving:

Beam angle - close:

Beam angle - far:

You cannot tell the difference between a xenon in a projector and our xenon rc kits in a halogen housing:

More visibility = a safer more enjoyable riding experience:

If the above photos DOES NOT convince you then you will just have to purchase them and see the amazing non-blinding, no glare beam angle for yourself :)

---

Don't forget to check out our FOG LIGHTS - The brightness and beam towards the ground helps these act like cornering lights:
http://deautokey.com/category/hid-led-headlight-fog-light-kits

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
No.

All those photos of beam patterns show obvious hotspots, dead spots, and significant light scattering.

Halogen filaments have different characteristics compared to xenon arcs. Manufacturers spend countless dollars making sure that their halogen reflectors match up perfectly with halogen filaments. It is impossible for an HID bulb's arc to line up exactly with halogen filaments, which creates unavoidable hot spots, dead spots, and scattering.

Sure, HID kits in halogen reflectors will give the driver a higher quantity of light but the quality of the light and how it is dispersed is not equal, and no matter what marketing/anecdotal evidence you read, it WILL significantly impede other drivers' vision while they are driving.

If you're gonna install/sell HIDs, do it right and sell it with the proper lenses, shrouds, etc. to make a true retrofit which will look good and not selfishly blind other drivers.

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor

sure you can troll all you want and you can comment and make assumptions on a product you never experienced, or you can see proof in photos. :)

Xenon vs Halogen cut - off - the xenon honestly looks better with a cleaner light output but it mimics the halogen cut-off perfectly to avoid the blinding glare:

and how they look head on - no blinding glare shining out to blind you - same look at a halogen but this just has more light and a cleaner color temperature:

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
sure you can troll all you want and you can comment and make assumptions on a product you never experienced, or you can see proof in photos. :)

Xenon vs Halogen cut - off - the xenon honestly looks better with a cleaner light output but it mimics the halogen cut-off perfectly to avoid the blinding glare:

and how they look head on - no blinding glare shining out to blind you - same look at a halogen but this just has more light and a cleaner color temperature:

I get that you're trying to make a sale but you can't be serious. "Here's a picture from a steep angle of the front of the car" Really?

No one's arguing that HIDs aren't brighter so moot point is moot.

And your first picture even shows significant light scatter above the cutoff :bellyroll:

Jaber

Modero
Can we please get videos of drivebys, from another drivers point of view? or curb side. Not only does it need to be safe for drivers, but for people on bikes or pedestrians.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Can we please get videos of drivebys, from another drivers point of view? or curb side. Not only does it need to be safe for drivers, but for people on bikes or pedestrians.

Again, comparing a totally different product and car is very deceiving to anyone reading, why is this something you feel is ok to do on a public forum?

Here are some photos - we will see what we can do with videos in the future but we never had any blinding glare - see here projector xenon vs h7rc halogens

real life driving - the light is NOT shining in a person walking or in any cars, why would a video be any different?

What is funny is we are on the same page, we agree don't install regular xenon in halogens, we are blinded all the time, we are trying to help the situation, instead of trying to attack us on a forum comparing REGULAR xenon bulbs you should worry about people selling regular xenon by the thousands all over the place not us trying to help the problem.

Also here is a video driving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryPd0DgKfQ

You are more likely to be blinded by headlights from the factory - known cars others have mentioned being blinded on many other forums:
2015 ford explorer
corolla with led headlights
Cadillac Escalade

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Here are some photos - we will see what we can do with videos in the future but we never had any blinding glare - see here projector xenon vs h7rc halogens
Different road, different ambient lighting conditions. Not sure what you're even supposed to be comparing there.

real life driving - the light is NOT shining in a person walking or in any cars, why would a video be any different?
Unknown camera exposure settings, irrelevant as well. Who knows what it looks like to the driver of that car?

What is funny is we are on the same page, we agree don't install regular xenon in halogens, we are blinded all the time, we are trying to help the situation, instead of trying to attack us on a forum comparing REGULAR xenon bulbs you should worry about people selling regular xenon by the thousands all over the place not us trying to help the problem.
Fair enough. Please post technical information about how your xenon bulbs are specifically different from "regular" xenon bulbs.

I see hotspots and inconsistencies caused by the halogen reflector :iono:

it is funny because you are more likely to be blinded by headlights from the factory - known cars with other people noticing:
2015 ford explorer
corolla with led headlights
Cadillac Escalade
Interesting statistic. What is your source?