GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ebay Brake Kits

absollut

Looking to buy Rotors and Pads for my 2010 GTi.

I looked at the ECS tuning site and for a set of F+R EBC Drilled and Slotted rotor with Pads it would be around $500 depending on pad choices. I know those are good and solid brake components.

What is the difference between the EBC products and what this seller on eBay is offering?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-KIT-ELINE-DRILLED-AND-SLOTTED-BRAKE-ROTORS-CERAMIC-PADS-RA03134-/370739535773?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2010%7CModel%3AGTI&hash=item5651cc5f9d&vxp=mtr

I don't track my GTi, but I do like to have fun on open back roads.

Do I need Drilled and Slotted if I'm just doing "Spirited" driving around the back roads?

Thanks!

I tried searching for eBay products on the forum and couldn't find any threads. Sorry if I'm repeating a subject already discussed.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
yeah spirited driving can overheat brakes depending on how hard you push your car. vented rotors would help.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
The difference is that most eBay rotors are sourced from the pits of hell in China and are sub par in quality. Remember that those rotors and pads are all that keep you from slamming into a tree, guard rail, child on the street, etc...so I'd pick a reputable company to buy from

absollut

But the drilled and slotted look cool! :w00t:

There is such a wide range of prices when it comes to brake pads and rotors. I understand there are better materials and metals used. But how much of a difference does it really make? Life of the pads? Noise? Dust? Will the cheap rotors warp easier? I'm currently working with a very limited income (In between jobs) but my GTi needs new brakes. If I can save $250 and have similar results, i would like to do that. At the same time, I don't want to skimp on crappy parts for my GTi. I want her running good for a long time!

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Don't get anything drilled or slotted. OEM quality will be superior unless you spend the big bucks.

Ebay and brake anything is a bad idea period. Unless you're going for OEM upgrades.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^ Slotted is fine for most people. See what options www.tirerack.com has for your car on rotors and pads. Personally, I'd stay away from EBC pads.

Merkle

Banned
^ Slotted is fine for most people. See what options www.tirerack.com has for your car on rotors and pads. Personally, I'd stay away from EBC pads.

People swear by the Yellow stuff pads. :iono:

Don't buy that crap from eBay. ECSTuning.com also has a good selection of pads and rotors, of much better quality. I had their stuff on my GTI, it held up well.

absollut

I was looking at ECSTuning.com they had some good deals.

What if I went with say Slotted and/or Drilled rotors from Ebay. And a set of good pads? (Hawk / EBC / Something else)

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Centric blank rotors are the best bang for the buck. I have their high carbon blank rotors front and back and I recently did a track day on them and they are holding up real good! They can be found for different prices from eBay and other vendors. Just shop around for the best deal. You should be able to get a set front and back for about 240.

Front part number 120.33098
Rear part number 120.33129

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
People swear by the Yellow stuff pads. :iono:

Don't buy that crap from eBay. ECSTuning.com also has a good selection of pads and rotors, of much better quality. I had their stuff on my GTI, it held up well.

not sure on the yellows, but ive heard quite a few times on people running those pads for track or autox and seen in person, when the pads crumbled in their hands into dust...

I dont mind purchasing through ebay if its a good product, like stoptech, etc.. just make sure the retailer is good.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
brake anything is a bad idea period.

I am still using them on my GTI and they are great. The rotors were 100% OEM quality or better (coatings make them better in this case) and the pads were perfect.

You don't want to try them then no worries; but if you haven't even tried them, then don't insult them simply because you haven't...

Last edited: