GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Increased MPG after first oil change?

jdgamble

So I just got a 5K oil change on my 2014 GTI, and it appears that my MPG reading has increased a bit... like maybe 2 extra MPG on my commute. It's pretty consistent in the last couple days. Has anyone else experienced this? The range appears to be increasing as well. I'm pretty happy about it, but it makes me wonder what the oil looked like before the change.

Just curious.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You probably gained 20-30hp as well :laugh:

No.

Skivvy9r

Ready to race!
Thanks for your feedback. That was very useful. Based on your response, you probably know a lot about lubrication.

He's just trying to tell you that an oil change done at the appropriate interval will not result in increased gas mileage. There are a lot of things that can influence your mileage, but the primary factor is the way you drive.

MONEY SHIFT

Banned
Why didn't you wait until 10k, like vw recommends?

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
Why didn't you wait until 10k, like vw recommends?

ive had cars for many years. changing the oil every 10k doesn't seem right to me. I do the an oil change every 3k

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for your feedback. That was very useful. Based on your response, you probably know a lot about lubrication.

He's just trying to tell you that an oil change done at the appropriate interval will not result in increased gas mileage. There are a lot of things that can influence your mileage, but the primary factor is the way you drive.

Yep. Thank you. :laugh:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
ive had cars for many years. changing the oil every 10k doesn't seem right to me. I do the an oil change every 3k

I wouldn't do it every 10k on a stage 2 car. You're getting shittier air filtration with an aftermarket intake and are killing the oil with extra heat/power from your mods. I'd do it every 5k... 3k maybe overkill.

On a stock car 10k is perfectly fine as proven via numerous UOA.

I just top up like this

Bcastine

Passed Driver's Ed
The only thing i've ever done with my GTI to influence gas mileage is to run Shell 93, I loose 2mpg every time vs. my normal fuel, same with my truck.

MONEY SHIFT

Banned
Shell 93 is all I've ever run in 18 months if ownership. What's better?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Any top tier gas is fine. Shell/Chevron/76 etc.

Bcastine

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't want to get into my Shell rant, but imho its total crap. I really noticed that fact with my Supra Turbo, which is finicky with what 93 octane fuel you put in her. It would pull timing so much earlier with Shell then with Sunoco or Irving(which is only available in the Northeast). So I began to pay attention in my other vehicles. In the end, I'd put Shell on par with costco or sams club fuel. From a marketing stand point they are the leader. After all to convince folks that an element with a -320F boiling point could be in their fuel to benefit your engine, pure genius. My wife when she fuels up my GTI will often go to Shell because its more convent for her, she has been briefed not to do so. I notice almost immediately, as my MFD will show a 2mpg drop from my normal dose of Irving fuel during my daily commute. She can't believe I can tell the difference. In fact its led her to try and trick me and see if I notice. I notice every time. Believe what you will, but track different fuels by MPG, Shell, always in my Titan and GTI come up short vs. everything else. If you loose MPG with a fuel your running richer, and less timing, more crap cycling through your EGR equating to more carbon. Nitrogen, what a scam..... I can't fault their diesel in my TDI though, seems on par with everything else.

MONEY SHIFT

Banned
I don't want to get into my Shell rant, but imho its total crap. I really noticed that fact with my Supra Turbo, which is finicky with what 93 octane fuel you put in her. It would pull timing so much earlier with Shell then with Sunoco or Irving(which is only available in the Northeast). So I began to pay attention in my other vehicles. In the end, I'd put Shell on par with costco or sams club fuel. From a marketing stand point they are the leader. After all to convince folks that an element with a -320F boiling point could be in their fuel to benefit your engine, pure genius. My wife when she fuels up my GTI will often go to Shell because its more convent for her, she has been briefed not to do so. I notice almost immediately, as my MFD will show a 2mpg drop from my normal dose of Irving fuel during my daily commute. She can't believe I can tell the difference. In fact its led her to try and trick me and see if I notice. I notice every time. Believe what you will, but track different fuels by MPG, Shell, always in my Titan and GTI come up short vs. everything else. If you loose MPG with a fuel your running richer, and less timing, more crap cycling through your EGR equating to more carbon. Nitrogen, what a scam..... I can't fault their diesel in my TDI though, seems on par with everything else.

Good to hear, dude. Maybe I will try something else for shits and grins. Thanks.