GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stepping "up" to AAA insurance?

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
Every time something happens and I have people with me, the first thing asked is "Do you have triple A?" whether it's my car or someone else's. Without fail. I'm wondering, do you guys have triple A?

Did you have other insurance before triple A? How did it compare?

Is it really the best?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm quote shopping and AAA is beating Esurance by a whopping $19 a month, Geico by $100 a month and my current Allstate garbage policy by $10 a month. Plus they have a $30/day rental coverage up to $900, uninsured motorist and the triple A membership included. It's just bewildering to me that the insurance everyone says is really good is the one that's quoting me the best rate.

Thoughts?

Also the reason I'm insurance shopping is because when I signed up for Allstate, I was within 3 years of my most recent violation and now it's fallen off my record/points.

The funny thing is, 2 months ago when I shopped, Geico only looked back 3 years for violations and 5 years for accidents. Now they look back 5 years for violations, 10 years for accidents and 10 years for DUI's. Their quote for me two months ago was $70 cheaper than today and my record got BETTER in the last two months.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
AAA is fundamentally TOW INSURANCE. They also provide assistance if you leave your lights on/toast your battery, or lock your keys in the car. All it takes is one single act of negligence by yourself or one time a year where your car needs towed.....and your AAA dues are paid for twofold or better. Basic AAA is stupid cheap....forty something a year. You also get free maps and travel stuff at AAA centers, and quite a few retail discounts.....an odd one here in CA is 25% off Dunn Edwards paints for instance, which has saved me hundreds on paint.

AAA also offers ordinary car insurance.....don't know whether it is competitively priced or not.

BP11

Banned
I have AAA - not the "insurance", but the membership which includes free tows etc. as mentioned, after one call to them, it pays for itself. That is what people are referring to when they ask if you have AAA. Most places will give you a 5% discount for it.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
I have AAA insurance, and I am also a member of AAA. What do you want to know? They are completely separate entities* as has been said in this thread.
(* separate in terms of the bill I pay. I'm sure they are related in many ways, of course)

I have my house insured thru them also. I don't know how the rates compare, but I would gladly pay a little more for no-hassle insurance. They have always come through for me, although I have only had 1 claim in the last 15 years (deerstrike on the Explorer). They handled it flawlessly, shop did great work, etc.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
AAA is fundamentally TOW INSURANCE. They also provide assistance if you leave your lights on/toast your battery, or lock your keys in the car. All it takes is one single act of negligence by yourself or one time a year where your car needs towed.....and your AAA dues are paid for twofold or better. Basic AAA is stupid cheap....forty something a year. You also get free maps and travel stuff at AAA centers, and quite a few retail discounts.....an odd one here in CA is 25% off Dunn Edwards paints for instance, which has saved me hundreds on paint.

AAA also offers ordinary car insurance.....don't know whether it is competitively priced or not.

:word:

You get tons of discounts with a AAA card, not just hotels and car rentals. I've gotten discounts at Reebok/Rockport shoe stores, believe it or not. It always pays to ask a store if they offer a AAA discount.

And the free maps/travel books are super handy for a road trip.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
You get tons of discounts with a AAA card, not just hotels and car rentals. I've gotten discounts at Reebok/Rockport shoe stores, believe it or not. It always pays to ask a store if they offer a AAA discount.

And the free maps/travel books are super handy for a road trip.

I knew you were old but....wow :p

I had AAA back when I had older cars and prior to smartphones but never felt the need to have it this day and age.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
but never felt the need to have it this day and age.

The Turbo Yaris has no auto light switch. Came home late one night after work, parked under a well lit parking structure, BOOM, toasted battery.

Also AAA works no matter who's car you are in.....so if you roll with people who like early 70's Jaguars, Range Rovers, or any other flatbed favorites, you can get them towed as well.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
I knew you were old but....wow :p

I had AAA back when I had older cars and prior to smartphones but never felt the need to have it this day and age.

Fuck you, Cookie Monster. :laugh:

Rockports are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. And I like Reeboks, too. NFG

And I've always just loved maps. Of course I use Google Maps now on my phone, but I like to have maps along as back up. And those AAA books are full of handy info. Hotels, restaurants, local points of interest, etc.

In the last 3 years I've taken driving trips totaling well over 11,000 miles and I always use maps to map out my route before each trip. It's fun.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Rockports are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

Hey I loved the Rockports I have had. Some dude ran the Boston Marathon in a pair once. All you haters...you don't know.

And I've always just loved maps. Of course I use Google Maps now on my phone, but I like to have maps along as back up. And those AAA books are full of handy info. Hotels, restaurants, local points of interest, etc.

In the last 3 years I've taken driving trips totaling well over 11,000 miles and I always use maps to map out my route before each trip. It's fun.

Yeah I still have a 1986 Rand McNally road atlas, I keep it around because I think its neat.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Hey I loved the Rockports I have had. Some dude ran the Boston Marathon in a pair once. All you haters...you don't know.

Yeah I still have a 1986 Rand McNally road atlas, I keep it around because I think its neat.

This guy gets it.:thumbsup:

MikeyMike

Passed Driver's Ed
my experience:

have aaa, its cheap. spent the extra seven bucks for the 100 mile tow.

DO NOT HAVE aaa insurance. its a bit too expensive for what it is and they have a weird billing cycle that turned me off.

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
So I ended up going with my own custom thing:
Triple A updated their quote to $25 more than previously advertised, putting them in range with Allstate and Progressive.

Esurance lowered their quote to $5 cheaper than AAA with all the bells, whistles, tokens, condoms, blow jobs:
500/500 deductible, glass included, custom parts, towing, rental reimbursement. I got pretty much the max amount of what I'm going to do to the car covered: My goal is $3000 for this project.

I then got AAA card on its own because I figure, my towing claim with Esurance is a max of $75 per incident (road side, could be gas, flat tire, tow, etc). Getting triple A alone would allot me another incident, a higher range and all the discounts.

Yadadameans

Ready to race!
My dad has Triple A tow card. I have one of his cards. Dont know if it comes with two but I use it under his name. They dont ask for ID. Basically anyone can use it. Great for towing, jump starts and any road side assistance. Had some flats and didn't dare to use the widow maker so I called them to help me put on my spare.
I have Allstate insurance and my insurance is expensive as shit with the three points that I have on my record. Needa switch insurances companies..