GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low coolant after 4500 miles?

Merkle

Banned
Tonight on my way home from work I got a beep and the screen read "coolant level low! Check Owners Manual!" So I got the car home and let it sit for a little bit. Started it took it around the block light came back on. Parked it out front and checked the coolant level.. and there's literally next to none in the coolant filler. Like it on the very bottom of the bowl, WAY below the minimum. I'm going to call the dealership in the morning.. could this be my waterpump already?

Check for fluid under the car, if there is none, top it off and go on about your day. Mine ran low on fluid like that once, at about 20k miles. Filled it up, never had an issue until I sold it with 67k miles.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
He doesn't have a puddle, he has a low bottle... VW's use coolant over time, a low bottle doesn't nessesarily mean a problem at all. Without a puddle it's drivable.

And yes, I literally am the expert :)

Looks like the expert was wrong...everyone is an expert these days....

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Nope, still not wrong. VW's do use coolant, and if it's low and still filled with no active leak dumping on the ground it is drivable. That doesn't change. My point from the beginning was saying his water pump is bad because his coolant was low, just because your water pump went bad and the coolant was low is a random shot in the dark.

It's like when people say a flashing a CEL means a coil went bad... no it doesn't.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Yep you were still wrong in this situation no matter how you try and justify it...SMH

ducatiti

Ready to race!
2014 here as well and approaching 4500, more paranoid than ever.

Any statistic for the failure rate for these pumps, 70% of owners?

If I would have read this first, I would have never bought the GTI.

Jaber

Modero
We all should trade it in.

Sent from my iSuperior, expect typos, mathematical errors and inaccuracy.

Jaber

Modero
looking at a subbie tomorrow after i get it back :sm3:

Should check forums for their common problem.

Cause forum = whole world.

Bouse

Ready to race!
Should check forums for their common problem.

Cause forum = whole world.

I know lol it was mostly a joke, their engines apparently blow up out of no where :thumbup:

ducatiti

Ready to race!
Any update on yours? Any significant coolant loss after your water pump was replaced?

A week after my water pump was replaced, I noticed a little loss but nothing drastic. Is this normal after a water pump has just been replaced?

One week before, the day the water pump was replaced:

Today:

Bcastine

Passed Driver's Ed
Nope, still not wrong. VW's do use coolant, and if it's low and still filled with no active leak dumping on the ground it is drivable. That doesn't change. My point from the beginning was saying his water pump is bad because his coolant was low, just because your water pump went bad and the coolant was low is a random shot in the dark.

It's like when people say a flashing a CEL means a coil went bad... no it doesn't.

When my car had a couple thousand miles I got the low coolant light, had it topped off at the dealer, water pump sat. Fast forward 60K miles just noticed my level has dropped a tad, right equal with the min. line, must be water pump, full blown panic lol, but water pump sat. Your right, some evaporates over time. 62K miles, car beat hard daily, 2011 with the original pump, original coils, original TOB and seems to be carbon free. Now big F'ing Knock on Wood!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Not related but i lose about a inch or 2 in the expansion tank ever 10k miles.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Sounds like yet ANOTHER WP Failure???

Jeff