GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My steering issues with my GTI are driving me crazy

adbyerlt

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had a couple alignments to try to get my steering wheel straight, nobody can seem to get it perfect. I also feel like my steering is too light/loose. It's ridiculously light at parking lot speeds, and at highway speeds it feels like there is no precision whatsoever. There is play in the steering wheel at highway speeds, i.e., I can wiggle the steering wheel back and forth a little bit without changing the direction of the car, and I feel like I have to concentrate a lot of effort to keep the car in the lane at highway speeds. Any ideas? Bad front end suspension components? Bad steering rack?

2013 GTi, 32000 miles, new Continental DW tires (38 psi)

simpson110

Ready to race!
I have a '13 with about 32k also and mine is very stable at speed. The steering is very tight with a nicely weighted feel at all speeds. I would think there must be a worn ball joint at either end or like you said some suspension components.

I can't remember but I think you can adjust how strong the power steering is with vagcom. I'll try to look at my car within a few days to see if that's possible

P_m651

Ready to race!
Check suspension components by lifting up each front corner, grabbing the tire, and see if you can wiggle it.

Bushings: wiggle Forward, backwards. Pull tires in and out.

Steering rack: wiggle left turn, right turn. Have a buddy hold the steering wheel, wiggle like a left/ right turn, see if the rack mounts have any jiggle.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
i had the exact same issue you had. dealer alignments are useless, because they only stayed for good 2 days until you hit a bump and mis aligns the wheel.

I got these, http://www.tyrolsport.com/volkswage...S subframe clunk repair rigid collar bolt kit
and they solved my issues, but you will need another alignment in probably 200-300 miles, to really get it sorted. The stock subframe bolts and bushings suck huge balls on these cars. Make sure you have it do at a shop that specializes vw/audi, you can tell them about situation, have them check suspension. 30k is too early to have suspension issues unless you treat it like a wrangler.

adbyerlt

Passed Driver's Ed
i had the exact same issue you had. dealer alignments are useless, because they only stayed for good 2 days until you hit a bump and mis aligns the wheel.

I got these, http://www.tyrolsport.com/volkswage...S subframe clunk repair rigid collar bolt kit
and they solved my issues, but you will need another alignment in probably 200-300 miles, to really get it sorted. The stock subframe bolts and bushings suck huge balls on these cars. Make sure you have it do at a shop that specializes vw/audi, you can tell them about situation, have them check suspension. 30k is too early to have suspension issues unless you treat it like a wrangler.

Alright, I've heard some good things about this kit. Though I am hesitant to drop that much money on some bolts, but it really did tighten up your steering?

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I think before you throw parts at your car you should go to a good alignment shop & have them check everything in the front end. Only then spend money on needed parts. The shop you have currently been using isn't very good.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
The tysp collars will keep the subframe from moving and disrupting alignment. If you have an alignment problem then these will help. If the issue is with your steering rack or tie rods, these won't make a difference. In the least, they'll prevent issues from cropping up in the future.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Alright, I've heard some good things about this kit. Though I am hesitant to drop that much money on some bolts, but it really did tighten up your steering?

it did, but it happened after the second allignment, the loose steering is caused by alignment suffering from toe out. Like its not plain loose or wander on the highway.

adbyerlt

Passed Driver's Ed
The weird thing is that my alignment is almost perfect. I got the second alignment because I just got the new tires and wanted to make sure that i wasn't going to trash them, but the alignment was already in spec. They got it about perfect the second time (don't have the specs on me, as I'm at work). I think I am just going to take it to a highly rated independent VW-specific shop in the area..

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
The weird thing is that my alignment is almost perfect. I got the second alignment because I just got the new tires and wanted to make sure that i wasn't going to trash them, but the alignment was already in spec. They got it about perfect the second time (don't have the specs on me, as I'm at work). I think I am just going to take it to a highly rated independent VW-specific shop in the area..

Thats the best idea, let them know about it.

zrickety

The Fixer
Definitely check the ball joints and tie rods, though the shop should have done that. Maybe see if they can get closer to the toe in spec than the other end of the range.

Bcastine

Passed Driver's Ed
The Conti DW's don't help. I noticed my car got a numb spot immediately after I installed them. That and steering feel did go to hell. Mine also wandered at highway speeds. I hated those tires. Did this all happen after getting the DW's? Sounds just like I went through with mine, oh I hate them!

adbyerlt

Passed Driver's Ed
The Conti DW's don't help. I noticed my car got a numb spot immediately after I installed them. That and steering feel did go to hell. Mine also wandered at highway speeds. I hated those tires. Did this all happen after getting the DW's? Sounds just like I went through with mine, oh I hate them!

Oh god. Yeah this problem was somewhat apparent before the DW's, but now that I think about it it has been bothering me a lot more post- new tires. Haha, that would be both infuriating and relieving if my brand new expensive tires were the only problem....

adbyerlt

Passed Driver's Ed
So I think I've narrowed down the most annoying aspect of my steering. Bump steer at low speeds. Is this normal?