GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Flash Tunes Released for the MK6 GTI

Frankenmk6

Oh my b. It was meant for the both of you. I hadn't realized until now that I only really directed the question to one person. Anyways, I would start with a fuel filter swap. Sounds like you have let fuel sit in the tank for long periods of time, and over time fuel quality in the tank drops a bit. If I remember correctly we have the fuel filter under the car and in the LPFP. If the one under the car doesn't help with your fueling issues I would suggest LPFP next if you wanted to hunt down and really get a refresh on your fueling system.

From my personal experience I was told by Alex to swap fuel filters at some point when fueling suddenly was taking a dip. I did. My fuel system HPFP and LPFP have crapped out on me (before going down protuning) and now have less than 20-30k miles on them both.

Okay I'll swap out the under car filter again to start, mine does have about 15k miles on it. W're your symptoms similar when your Lpfp shit the bed? Any way to check? According to Alex, I'm getting good pressure at the rail, which is why I stopped thinking it was the Lpfp or fuel filter, and was more looking at the injectors, though I don't know how to test those either.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Because the rate of air is different per the two turbos. So the smaller k04 cant compress the same amount of air efficiently. So you just cant flow enough air to get enough bang for more hp.
So you run leaner to make more bang but lean can be dangerous.
Maybe its fuel quality issue and not quantity

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

More specifically, with the smaller K04 vs big turbo you're going to have more back pressure from the smaller turbine, so cylinder pressures may be even higher for the same power level compared to big turbo. This would cause higher injector duty cycle to get the same amount of fuel into the combustion chamber. In other words, it may take less fueling (injector/hpfp-wise) to run same or more power with a larger turbo due to efficiencies.

A lot of people maxing out the K04 run water/meth not just for the added octane and cooling, but also as a sort of auxillary fuel system where the methanol provides a portion of the fueling and reduces the amount of fuel needed to be delivered by the fuel injectors.

Would it also matter when during the intake/compression stroke the fuel is being added? If more fuel is added earlier in the cycle, I would think you could get more fuel flow due to lower cylinder pressures at the expense of maybe some knock sensitivity? Getting a little outside my knowledge base there.

I have a K04 and was running out of fuel in my Protune as well......

Everyone I've talked to says that a MK6 TSI should NOT have any fueling issues on K04 power levels. The latest revision of my tune has dialed back load a bit and my fuel trims are much better, but I'm down on power. I don't understand how big turbo guys can make near 400WHP on stock fueling, but my car cannot push a K04 to its potential.

To anyone with extensive knowledge of our platform's fueling setup: which aspect of the system is the most likely culprit; LPFP HPFP, or injectors?

The tune feels phenomenal, as I expected with Stratified, but I'm wondering if I'm leaving power on the table due to some sort of a mechanical issue.

What are you at for power level? Keep in mind that "K04 power levels" may really be something like 300-330WHP, at which point yes the stock fueling should be sufficient. "Pushing the K04 to its potential" may indeed require at least water/meth, all depends on what your perception of the K04's potential is.

Also, I'd be surprised if getting over 400WHP on stock fueling didn't also require water/meth or race gas. For reference, APR advertises 370WHP for their GTX2867 big turbo kit (that turbo is good for 550HP), so 400WHP is probably a pretty big stretch on stock fueling especially without water/meth.

Last edited:

Gino

Ready to race!
Okay I'll swap out the under car filter again to start, mine does have about 15k miles on it. W're your symptoms similar when your Lpfp shit the bed? Any way to check? According to Alex, I'm getting good pressure at the rail, which is why I stopped thinking it was the Lpfp or fuel filter, and was more looking at the injectors, though I don't know how to test those either.

Back when my LPFP gave out I was OTS Unitronic Stage 2+. It wasn't given me any problems with tune. No real indication it was failing either. Just minutes after parking and going to start my car it wouldn't start. So I won't say for certain that the LPFP may be a culprit, I simply suggest it based on mileage wear and because in my situation now I don't think I have fuel issues. My injectors were also something swapped out near 70K for one being stuck open. Maybe you have some build up on your injectors? I am no professional by any means, but sharing with you how I think I have managed to have no issues.

Frankenmk6

Back when my LPFP gave out I was OTS Unitronic Stage 2+. It wasn't given me any problems with tune. No real indication it was failing either. Just minutes after parking and going to start my car it wouldn't start. So I won't say for certain that the LPFP may be a culprit, I simply suggest it based on mileage wear and because in my situation now I don't think I have fuel issues. My injectors were also something swapped out near 70K for one being stuck open. Maybe you have some build up on your injectors? I am no professional by any means, but sharing with you how I think I have managed to have no issues.

In your experience, do you think injector cleaners work? Think I should try that?

ce4

Ready to race!
Question on changing Octane Tune files.

On my AP, I currently have 91 and 93 oct tunes. I did this as I run 91 in winter and 93 in summer. Right now I have a full tank of 91 and was wanting to know when the best time would be to switch tunes. Do I:

a. Run this tank out, switch to 93 tune and fill up with 93
b. Run this tank out, fill up with 93, run that tank out, fill with 93 then flash to 93 tune
c. Flash to 93 now, run this tank out then proceed with 93

Thank you as I am pretty new to this.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie

On my AP, I currently have 91 and 93 oct tunes. I did this as I run 91 in winter and 93 in summer. Right now I have a full tank of 91 and was wanting to know when the best time would be to switch tunes. Do I:

b. Run this tank out, fill up with 93, run that tank out, fill with 93 then flash to 93 tune

Normally I do A. Do it in this car, and did it when I had a AP on my old Evo. Just give it some time to adapt before doing WOT pulls or spirited driving.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

B would be safest.... A would be fine though.

i wouldnt do C*(but thats just me)

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
B would be safest.... A would be fine though.

i wouldnt do C*(but thats just me)

Yeah I was gonna say B works too. Sometimes if I had half of tank of 91 left I'd top off with 93. And switch tunes on the next fill up of 93. I agree option C is a no go

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
now you're missing out on life.

vw make a soundaktor to simulate engine noise - now we need to make a fartaktor to simulate DSG farts for us MT guys

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

A or B, not C.

ce4

Ready to race!
Thank you for all the info! Start my process after this next tank....

...just out of curiosity though, should I expect anything drastic performance wise from the switch in fuel/tunes ?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Drastic is a strong word. Will you pick up ponies yes. But its not like going from stock to stg1. More like 10hp or so in that range. Better fuel so more bang.
Thank you for all the info! Start my process after this next tank....

...just out of curiosity though, should I expect anything drastic performance wise from the switch in fuel/tunes ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

redubbed

Ready to race!
Ordered my Access port with Pro tune for my K04. Nearly impossible to get a hold of UM for any issues, which I seem to be having since the upgrade. Looking forward to working with the Stratified folks to get my car running great!