GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 11-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #29
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
privman, why are you getting those subframe bolts? Dropping the subframe is NOT NECESSARY.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #30
privman
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 White GTI
They say it's easier. I don't want to damage the stuff putting it back in
Old 11-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #31
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by privman View Post
They say it's easier. I don't want to damage the stuff putting it back in
Actually it isn't. I would suggest removing the throttle pipe though. More clearance and less chance of damaging it during removal/re-install of the tranny.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #32
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by privman View Post
Thinking about attempting this. If I don't drain fluid and drop sub frame do I need to bleed anything out?
Nope. That's the trade-off. Either drain the tranny fluid and take out the axle flanges or drop the subframe and take it all out. Tried for a couple hours with a friend, a lift, an engine bar and a tranny lift but we couldn't get it to fit without doing one of those two things.

butchered by autocorrecr
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #33
privman
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
Nope. That's the trade-off. Either drain the tranny fluid and take out the axle flanges or drop the subframe and take it all out. Tried for a couple hours with a friend, a lift, an engine bar and a tranny lift but we couldn't get it to fit without doing one of those two things.

butchered by autocorrecr

Okay thank you. Are those the correct set of bolts I need for sub frame?
Old 11-15-2014, 05:07 AM   #34
privman
Rally Car Newbie

Anyone have a link or set of part number for all 14 sub frame bolts?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:02 PM   #35
Jimmy orange
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: MK6 GTI
About to do mine. If I missed it sorry but other than the hardware for the new clutch and flywheel, is there any other hardware that I have to buy or order to install anything else???? If so plz let me know. I just ordered clutch so i got a little time to get and prepare for everything
Jimmy orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #36
mkv_barron

Drives: mkv GTI 4dr CW Ko4
Thank you sir for doing this write up it has been the go to this weekend while putting my new clutch in. This job is a true pain in the ass but this DIY has made it nearly tolerable.
mkv_barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #37
Gtiphil
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 11 gti, apr stg 2, stg 3 clutch
Stage 3 clutch

i just installed my stage 3 clutch this past weekend and i was able to remove and install the transmission with out removing the axle output flange nor the subframe. removing these is a luxury and provides room to drop the trans and i would probably recommend to do on any future installs.
Gtiphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #38
funkymcbain
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 MKVI GTI
Does this job require a new clutch disk and new flywheel?
funkymcbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #39
aeffertz
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Just wanted to say thanks for this write up! Just finished the clutch swap on my car and I haven’t really done one before and this broke it down great. I also didn’t want to yank the subframe and deal with the new bolts and alignment and everything else that comes with it so I just yanked the trans by itself like you on jack stands. It took me a couple hours to go from all bolts out to transmission out from under the car by myself and I didn’t lose any fluid.

But putting it back in I rotated it a bit to speed up the process and ended up losing a small amount of fluid from the passenger side axle flange. So I’ll probably drain the whole thing and replace the fluid on my next free weekend.

***Note: I got the trans out by myself but it would extremely helpful to get a helping hand for this and will also save time. I got a second pair of hands for putting the trans back up into th bay and mated up with the motor and it took an hour. Everything else was pretty easy by myself. A helper is nice for taking out the axle flange bolts and axle bolts though just to hold he brake down.

One thing that wasn’t mentioned that I overlooked and fucked up was keep an eye your exhaust hanger just below the turbo. I lowered the engine a few inches to get he trans out and forgot to take it off and ended up breaking it. But thanks again! Feels crazy to shift effortlessly again and not have any slipping.

If anyone is like me and is reading this in the future, it took me 48 hours total from start to finish, but that includes sleeping and eating and shit. So figure at least 2 full days if you don’t have a ton of experience or a massive shop with lifts and air tools. Also, one thing I either looked over or never r as on any tutorials is you need a 9mm 12 sided socket for the pressure plate bolts.

I saved the $30 on a flywheel holder and just placed a 3/8” socket extension into one of the holes in the block and placed a pry bar from the subframe, resting in the extensions and the other need placed into the teeth of the flywheel. Worked perfectly.

Last edited by aeffertz; 06-24-2018 at 07:14 PM.
aeffertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #40
raphaelpmc
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Fusca 2012 (Beetle)
Amazing tips and job ! Thanks !
raphaelpmc is offline   Reply With Quote