GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Tifore

Ready to race!
Put together my Bilstien B8s and DG springs last night with new Strut Bearings and Strut Mounts. How snug is that dustboot supposed to hang up in the strut bearing? It seems like one decent tug and its popping out. I could pull it higher up, but then the bearing doesnt seat into the mount right. Just worried about having to take it all apart after a 100 miles or so if / when the dust boot pops back out.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Sporadic ECS/ABS error and airbag error a symptom of a failing ABS sensor?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Could be, or another broad electrical issue....

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
so i lost my air intake pipe mounting bolt a while back and want to have a replacement on hand for when i swap intakes in the coming weeks. I am reading its an 8mm triple square - anyone have a good source for finding such bolts that are OEM or should i test my luck with home depot motorsports?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
so i lost my air intake pipe mounting bolt a while back and want to have a replacement on hand for when i swap intakes in the coming weeks. I am reading its an 8mm triple square - anyone have a good source for finding such bolts that are OEM or should i test my luck with home depot motorsports?
The bolt from the stg2 pipe to the engine. That can 100% be a home depot bolt. Just make sure its grade 8 I believe.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
did you know if you cover the upper right section of your nav unit your screen will autodim? true story yeah, found out by putting phone mount over it once.

that invisible sensor

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Has anyone been successful in making a gated shifter for the gti? Been thinking of diving into it and doing it myself. But if someone has the measurements and CNC files then I could just use that. Maybe the R8 shift gate?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Isn't there a little dot in the corner of the screen area in the hard plastic? I thought that was the sensor
did you know if you cover the upper right section of your nav unit your screen will autodim? true story yeah, found out by putting phone mount over it once.

that invisible sensor

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Put together my Bilstien B8s and DG springs last night with new Strut Bearings and Strut Mounts. How snug is that dustboot supposed to hang up in the strut bearing? It seems like one decent tug and its popping out. I could pull it higher up, but then the bearing doesnt seat into the mount right. Just worried about having to take it all apart after a 100 miles or so if / when the dust boot pops back out.

Snug...it snaps/clips into the ring of the bearing & will fully seat

Getting it back in, while installed on the car, can be done...but it's not fun. You gotta push up on it

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
would 1/4" 3M automotive mounting tape suffice for mounting R side skirts? I have 1/2" right now and just seems like overkill. Need to redo it because of an alignment issue i want to correct on both sides.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
would 1/4" 3M automotive mounting tape suffice for mounting R side skirts? I have 1/2" right now and just seems like overkill. Need to redo it because of an alignment issue i want to correct on both sides.

I feel like the strip of tape that's on my oem skirts is only 1/4".

I also installed the retaining strips, makes it really easy to get things lined up correctly.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...s/side-skirt-retaining-strip-left/1k0853543b/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/retaining-strip-passenger/1k0853544b/

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Does anyone know if a 17z Brembo kit for our cars would affect the ABS? ty

It will probably change the pedal feel but I don't think it should affect the functionality at all.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Gonna hit 75k miles soon and I want to drop my car off to have the tensioner/chain replaced. I want to have some other maintenance things done, but I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas. I plan on keeping the car for another 2-3 years, so I just want to make sure the next few years will be as problem free as possible without really going overboard.

I'm thinking I'll have the fuel filter replaced, I think those are every 40k so it should be about time.

I don't remember when I had my rotors and pads replaced. It's probably been a couple years and brake fluid is something that should be done every 2 years if I remember right, so I'll have to ask my mechanic when I had that done.

It's probably about time to replace spark plugs. Seems like it's been 40k or so since I've had new ones installed. Coils should be ok I think, I've got R8 coils with some old oems stored in the car for backup.

I'm gonna have them go over all my mounts and bushings to see if everything looks/feels good.

Seems like I may be having an intermittent issue with an ABS sensor so I think I'll have those replaced.

I've had a clunk noise for a long time and I think its my upper strut mounts, so those are getting replaced with audi tt mounts.

How long are wheel bearings supposed to last? or should I just wait until one goes and then have them replaced?

What else should I be planning on doing?

Last edited: