GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Serpentine Belt Tensioner - How do I remove it?

dbgti

Say whaaa?
Getting some chattering noise which I suspect is from a bad belt tensioner, problem is I can’t figure out how to remove it. On the previous gen MKV it was three bolts near the roller. Looking at the photos provided on ECS it looks as though it bolts in on the back of the rod?

ECS LINK

Does anyone have a write up or diagram?

Thanks!

dbgti

Say whaaa?
I can't see the link you posted but on these cars the belt tensioner is only held on by one bolt. You just loosen it like anything else.

Which bolt would that be? The only one I can see from the top engine view is the one to release tension on the belt

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
It's on the opposite side of the oil filter housing/accesory bracket mount and its hard to reach iirc. I can check elswin when I get home tonight.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
It might just be to remove the engine mount bracket and give clearance for the tensioner to come out. The engine mount bracket is difficult to remove and you need to may need to raise and lower the engine a bit to get some hard to reach bolts out. When I did my timing job I used a jack and block of wood under the oil pan for support no lateral support bar. At least you know where the bolt is on the other side. Maybe try seeing if you can get it outwithout removing everything?