GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom trunk cover (work in progress)

Gkivoo

Ready to race!
So I figured I'd share my little project. Decided to get some MDF and make a new custom cut cover for the trunk.......equipped with two MTX eliminator enclosureless subwoofers! ;)

Ran my signal wires from the rear speakers (PINA in a 3door)

Still need to tuck my wires and create a carpeted cover for the underside so that nothing is visible but the magnets. Here's what I got so far!!

Sounds phenomenal, am happy with results!

UPDATE: Sealed and ready to be put in!

Last edited:

rjohnson5481

Ready to race!
i was thinking of doing just this... gotta re-size those pictures though. They're huge!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
"A" for effort....

Other than that, it looks like a 5 minute install. :lol:

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
you mentioned enclosures, can you elaborate there? I don't see any enclosures in the pics.

I am assuming you are running free-air subwoofers?

Nice install, I thought about using this area, but figured the board would be jumping up & down from bass constantly. Please let us know how it sounds when done.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
you mentioned enclosures, can you elaborate there? I don't see any enclosures in the pics.

I am assuming you are running free-air subwoofers?

Nice install, I thought about using this area, but figured the board would be jumping up & down from bass constantly. Please let us know how it sounds when done.

OP is using "free-air" subs.

Gkivoo

Ready to race!
The whole trunk acts like some kind of 'enclosure' but they're free-air or 'enclosureless' subwoofers.. I thought the board would make a lot of rattling noise bouncing up and down but the setup is heavy so the thing goes nowhere... Sounds amazing to say the least. I was very impressed with the results!!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
holy mid 1990's equipment

that kenwood amp is what 1993-1994 ish?

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
one of the best ideas for subs I have seen in a GTI. Too bad free air subs are so rare. I know I have zero places I can go hear some before I buy. That is including all of MN.

spiker369

on air, don't care
That finished cover looks sick. I wonder how hard it would be to fabricate something to go where the handles are on the hatch. :iono:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE: Sealed and ready to be put in!

Looks much better. My suggestion is to cover the the "amp rack" after you screw in the boards. Use speaker grille guides so you won't see those pesky screws.