GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any one dealt with Rotorlab?

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Did he give you an estimate when you first made the order? If he said ETA is 8 weeks and now you are in week 4 then I'd say give him time as you knew his and your timeline when you ordered. If on the other hand he said 8 weeks and you are in week 12 now then I'd ask for my money back.
If you just don't want to deal with it anymore and rather get a BBK somewhere else I'd just call the guy up and tell him you are going a different route and want you money back. If he values his business and reputation he'd refund it. If that doesn't work you can dispute the charges via PayPal.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Did he give you an estimate when you first made the order? If he said ETA is 8 weeks and now you are in week 4 then I'd say give him time as you knew his and your timeline when you ordered. If on the other hand he said 8 weeks and you are in week 12 now then I'd ask for my money back.
If you just don't want to deal with it anymore and rather get a BBK somewhere else I'd just call the guy up and tell him you are going a different route and want you money back. If he values his business and reputation he'd refund it. If that doesn't work you can dispute the charges via PayPal.

This. How long did he say when you ordered, how long has it been.
Ask him first if its past what you were quoted time wise. If he refuses then dispute paypal and tell your side of the story... how long you have been waiting etc.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Update 8-13, called Rob just now to check on the status of my brakes, he estimated over the phone that I was "maybe ninth in the queue now, as opposed to 14-15th when we spoke on the phone 7-18 (he told me 11th in the queue that time -.-) . He didnt know for sure where in the queue I stood and stated he'd have to be back in his office to let me know exactly what place I was in, and to call back tomorrow evening as he had just gotten back from a trip.

This blows. I was really looking forward to running his brake kits but Im slowly losing my patience. If Im really still at 9th in the queue tomorrow, Im asking for my money back.

Any one have any advice on how to go about this with Paypal in order to dispute this and receive all my money back? It was done through goods and services.

Thanks.

i just went through the Paypal dispute process with a different vendor. Before you do that, I would call Rotorlab and simply ask for a refund and the basis for the refund. Such as you indicated an 8 week delivery and you are now in week 12 and being told your set is not even in production. You may resolve it with just a phone call.

If that doesn't work, and Rotorlab does not honor your request you can file a claim with Paypal. I made a phone call to Paypal and they were very helpful and supportive in filing the claim. I did receive all of my money back which was about 4000.00. Just to be clear this was not an issue with Rotorlab, this was with another vendor. My own experience with Rotorlab was good, though longer than I wanted it to be.

I ordered and received my brakes from Rotorlab. I think if you simply ask for your money back, if your expected delivery is way past he will comply. He shouldn't have any trouble selling the set to someone else since he hasn't even started on them or painted them and there is no financial loss on his part.

If you have to play hardball you can file the Paypal claim if it is done within the 180 days since purchase.

Good Luck

Yakuzi

Ready to race!

Yeah turnaround time was 7-8 weeks, this was when I ordered them 6/5. So we're in the 9/10th week now, with still no idea of what place Im at in the queue. I still have to call him in the evening to see what place I stand at, if Im really at 9th as he said last night, Im going to politely ask for a refund.

Yakuzi

Ready to race!
i just went through the Paypal dispute process with a different vendor. Before you do that, I would call Rotorlab and simply ask for a refund and the basis for the refund. Such as you indicated an 8 week delivery and you are now in week 12 and being told your set is not even in production. You may resolve it with just a phone call.

If that doesn't work, and Rotorlab does not honor your request you can file a claim with Paypal. I made a phone call to Paypal and they were very helpful and supportive in filing the claim. I did receive all of my money back which was about 4000.00. Just to be clear this was not an issue with Rotorlab, this was with another vendor. My own experience with Rotorlab was good, though longer than I wanted it to be.

I ordered and received my brakes from Rotorlab. I think if you simply ask for your money back, if your expected delivery is way past he will comply. He shouldn't have any trouble selling the set to someone else since he hasn't even started on them or painted them and there is no financial loss on his part.

If you have to play hardball you can file the Paypal claim if it is done within the 180 days since purchase.

Good Luck

Im hoping Im farther up in the queue so that we dont have to go through this refund process, still need to call him later tonite when he's in his office as requested to check up on my status. I have no ill feelings towards the guy, I just expected the kit to be in my possession by now :/

Yakuzi

Ready to race!
Update 8/14. Gave Rob a call after he requested I call back while he's in the office this evening to make sure what place I am currently at in the queue. Went to voice mail, left a message. I'll call back in about two hours if theres no response he's probably busy.

Yakuzi

Ready to race!
Update 8/14. Gave Rob a call after he requested I call back while he's in the office this evening to make sure what place I am currently at in the queue. Went to voice mail, left a message. I'll call back in about two hours if theres no response he's probably busy.

Update: Got off the phone with Rob earlier, Im 4th in queue and according to him I should be seeing the kit sometime next week or the following week. Decided to refrain from withdrawing myself from the queue and asking for a refund since Im already this close. I told him Id check back in two weeks if theres no word from him, just as a reminder.

Welp, couple more weeks of waiting and I'll finally get to update on the quality and workmanship on the kit. Hell of a long wait.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
Update: Got off the phone with Rob earlier, Im 4th in queue and according to him I should be seeing the kit sometime next week or the following week. Decided to refrain from withdrawing myself from the queue and asking for a refund since Im already this close. I told him Id check back in two weeks if theres no word from him, just as a reminder.

Welp, couple more weeks of waiting and I'll finally get to update on the quality and workmanship on the kit. Hell of a long wait.

This all sounds WAY to familiar. Honestly if i had to do it again i would just pay the extra $400.00 for the unpainted brand new ones from ECS and find a local place to powder-coat it.
I hope this thread acts as a warning.

Yakuzi

Ready to race!
This all sounds WAY to familiar. Honestly if i had to do it again i would just pay the extra $400.00 for the unpainted brand new ones from ECS and find a local place to powder-coat it.
I hope this thread acts as a warning.

Are those for the front calipers only?

Wait time alone would probably deter a lot of folks from ordering these. I was initially pumped Id be getting some sick brakes, along with supporting a fellow enthusiast. But thats all dwindled down to " I just want the shit I paid for already" lol.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

I totally understand how you feel but I have watched other enthusiast startups go through the same growing pains over the years. They put something out that gets popular quick and they become a victim of their own success because they don't have the capacity to deliver the product and hiring folks would shoot the cost way out there. Anyway, I was quite happy with my set and the wait was worth it, though agonizing.

Yakuzi

Ready to race!
I totally understand how you feel but I have watched other enthusiast startups go through the same growing pains over the years. They put something out that gets popular quick and they become a victim of their own success because they don't have the capacity to deliver the product and hiring folks would shoot the cost way out there. Anyway, I was quite happy with my set and the wait was worth it, though agonizing.

Yeah cant really blame him, he's had to start having his son help out as well since he's so backed up apparently.

Looks great, digging the wheels. Which adapter kit are you using in the back? The one I'll be ordering for my rears doesnt have that little e-brake attachment.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
Yeah cant really blame him, he's had to start having his son help out as well since he's so backed up apparently.

Looks great, digging the wheels. Which adapter kit are you using in the back? The one I'll be ordering for my rears doesnt have that little e-brake attachment.

Any updates on this my Man? Any further issues?

Yakuzi

Ready to race!
Any updates on this my Man? Any further issues?

Been pretty busy with life forgot to update this. Anyways, starting with the
pros and cons.

Pros:

-The brakes work (after multiple bleed sessions and headaches, which I will discuss in the cons section), no spongy feeling as others normally tend to say they felt.

-They look massive.
----------------------------------

Cons:

-My rear crossover tube fittings were slowly leaking upon installation and bleeding the calipers. After multiple bleed and test drive sessions the brakes were still super spongy and obviously getting air in them. On the last bleed session I finally found that the rear crossover tubes were slowly leaking. I went through about 2L of Motul RBF600 because of this, constantly bleeding and trying to find a leak.

-Paint is EXTREMELY weak and not applied very well. Rob was nice enough to send an extra vile of epoxy paint, but Im just going to powder coat them all over once the seals inevitably leak and require a rebuild.

-Hardware isnt treated for rust very well. I washed the car after it sat stationary in my garage after installing the brakes. Rust. City.... Rotors, hardware, everything the water touched is now slightly orange/brown.

-------------------------------

Now before the brakes were received, I obtained one picture of the final "brakes" on the floor (unlike multiple pictures of the process as advertised) and a free set of rear brake pads. That was very nice of Rob to send that.

When I got the brakes, the paint didnt match the picture I received, as in, my paint on the inside of the caliper was barely applied, and multiple blemishes on the outside. Whereas in the picture it was a full coat well done inside out. Although weird, I thought nothing of it and got to installing.

I contacted Rob about the leak, rust and paint on three separate occasions. We had a little back and forth (try torquing the crossover fittings down, use teflon, air dry after wash, rust is normal its bare metal, let the paint warm up to completely heal, etc.)

I asked him if these brakes went through a full test before being sent to me, because when I uploaded the picture of "my" brakes that he had sent me on my macbook, the file dated all the way back to February of 2017 shot on a Motorola Cell phone. He dodged the question and never addressed the photo file.

Eventually got the leak fixed at a hydraulic shop, he said he'd send me $50 as reimbursement if the leak stopped for "shits and giggles" prior to me fixing it. I didnt even contact him because at that point I was done. Waited four months and this is what I had to deal with.

I initially was going to purchase some used r32 brakes off him, but after this experience with the18z kit I opted out and went straight oem from VW instead. Nothing against Rob (he seems like a very nice guy), he was just busy and obviously rushed the brakes out to me, I understand to an extent. But in all honesty I just wasnt too happy with the product after the amount of time I waited after paying for them.

After all said and done, if youre willing to wait a couple months and run into some problems to get these to work, go for it.

Otherwise, I wouldnt recommend it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

Missed this post. Thanks for the thumbs up on the wheels.

I am using a Fabless kit.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
Been pretty busy with life forgot to update this. Anyways, starting with the
pros and cons.

Pros:

-The brakes work (after multiple bleed sessions and headaches, which I will discuss in the cons section), no spongy feeling as others normally tend to say they felt.

-They look massive.
----------------------------------

Cons:

-My rear crossover tube fittings were slowly leaking upon installation and bleeding the calipers. After multiple bleed and test drive sessions the brakes were still super spongy and obviously getting air in them. On the last bleed session I finally found that the rear crossover tubes were slowly leaking. I went through about 2L of Motul RBF600 because of this, constantly bleeding and trying to find a leak.

-Paint is EXTREMELY weak and not applied very well. Rob was nice enough to send an extra vile of epoxy paint, but Im just going to powder coat them all over once the seals inevitably leak and require a rebuild.

-Hardware isnt treated for rust very well. I washed the car after it sat stationary in my garage after installing the brakes. Rust. City.... Rotors, hardware, everything the water touched is now slightly orange/brown.

-------------------------------

Now before the brakes were received, I obtained one picture of the final "brakes" on the floor (unlike multiple pictures of the process as advertised) and a free set of rear brake pads. That was very nice of Rob to send that.

When I got the brakes, the paint didnt match the picture I received, as in, my paint on the inside of the caliper was barely applied, and multiple blemishes on the outside. Whereas in the picture it was a full coat well done inside out. Although weird, I thought nothing of it and got to installing.

I contacted Rob about the leak, rust and paint on three separate occasions. We had a little back and forth (try torquing the crossover fittings down, use teflon, air dry after wash, rust is normal its bare metal, let the paint warm up to completely heal, etc.)

I asked him if these brakes went through a full test before being sent to me, because when I uploaded the picture of "my" brakes that he had sent me on my macbook, the file dated all the way back to February of 2017 shot on a Motorola Cell phone. He dodged the question and never addressed the photo file.

Eventually got the leak fixed at a hydraulic shop, he said he'd send me $50 as reimbursement if the leak stopped for "shits and giggles" prior to me fixing it. I didnt even contact him because at that point I was done. Waited four months and this is what I had to deal with.

I initially was going to purchase some used r32 brakes off him, but after this experience with the18z kit I opted out and went straight oem from VW instead. Nothing against Rob (he seems like a very nice guy), he was just busy and obviously rushed the brakes out to me, I understand to an extent. But in all honesty I just wasnt too happy with the product after the amount of time I waited after paying for them.

After all said and done, if youre willing to wait a couple months and run into some problems to get these to work, go for it.

Otherwise, I wouldnt recommend it.

Ahh, yes this sounds very familer.

My hardware is also rusted out. I went with Racing brake 2 piece rotors for the front instead. No rust on those thankfully but my cross over tubes also leaked and the paint on the inside is completely gone now.

While i love the way the brakes looks i really would recommend a different set of brakes and pay the extra to avoid the frustration with these brakes (from this company). I know it was a cheaper option but not worth the headache that i still have over a year later.