GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Power Loss - Slow Turbo Spool

boostd15

I have been finding a few threads on this topic but nothing that is like my issue specifically. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Yesterday, I decided do a 4th gear pull because it has been a few weeks since I had done so. I immediately noticed it did not hit as hard as usual and was drastically slower. I have tried a few lighter hits to gauge the turbo spool, which is much slower than usual. I also noticed that the tires aren't breaking lose. The car has a lot of wheel spin in 1-3rd gears. There is absolutely nothing different that I have done and I am not sure when it started happening. I did not drive the car for 5 days, which is the only odd thing. That's too quick for the gas to go bad, unless I just have a batch of bad gas? The car runs perfectly during low throttle. The turbo sounds healthy and I am not throwing any codes other than a "system rich at idle"(P2188), which was already there. I am wondering if I have developed a boost leak (should I be throwing a code for that?), which I am going to check that out next week.

I am an APR stage 3 and have been for quite a while.

Any suggestion would be great.

Thank you!

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
IC hose came loose, perhaps?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Boost leak is p0299 code, if its minimal leak and you are still hitting targeted boost because of a small leak I dont think It would throw a code. Check all your clamps, i had this happen to me on top. But it was an all of the sudden it blew off..

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I have been finding a few threads on this topic but nothing that is like my issue specifically. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Yesterday, I decided do a 4th gear pull because it has been a few weeks since I had done so. I immediately noticed it did not hit as hard as usual and was drastically slower. I have tried a few lighter hits to gauge the turbo spool, which is much slower than usual. I also noticed that the tires aren't breaking lose. The car has a lot of wheel spin in 1-3rd gears. There is absolutely nothing different that I have done and I am not sure when it started happening. I did not drive the car for 5 days, which is the only odd thing. That's too quick for the gas to go bad, unless I just have a batch of bad gas? The car runs perfectly during low throttle. The turbo sounds healthy and I am not throwing any codes other than a "system rich at idle"(P2188), which was already there. I am wondering if I have developed a boost leak (should I be throwing a code for that?), which I am going to check that out next week.

I am an APR stage 3 and have been for quite a while.

Any suggestion would be great.

Thank you!

Best way to find out is log those 4th gear pulls.

Is it delivering requested fueling, boost and timing? Start there.

MmmmmBoost

Ready to race!
Check fuel trims, I have this issue right now because of my turbo outlet pipe, my trims went from like 1.03 to 1.10, max I had during a pull was 1.25 lol.

boostd15

The car breaks up quite a bit during acceleration. If there was a problem, I would assume that I would see a code being thrown?

boostd15

Anyone know if it will throw a check engine code with bad spark plugs?