GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone Swap a MK5 Armrest Console in an MK6

Mimog3

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all. After doing some research it appears that maybe the MK5 armrest console portion will fit in an MK6 GTI. As we all know storage in this car is quite limited. I don't use the MDI and the MK5 version actually has some storage capacity. I just want to know if its a plug and play swap.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
just food for thought, i removed my MDI dealio, put in a single din 'storage tray' and it works great for holding random stuff like pens, gum, stuff like that

this is what i got; you only need the 'pocket' piece. for $10 cant gowrong VS swapping the whole center console.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo...h=item4d4942d1b8:g:02QAAOxyuCJRfMOe:rk:1:pf:0

FTR I tried swapping a center console into my 6, just for the area that goes around the shifter though; it didn't physically fit to the rest of the center console or upper dash, even though the shifter boot and ashtray/cig lighter piece fits. Not sure how an armrest would work though, as far as simply mating it up to the cupholder portion of the center console.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
just food for thought, i removed my MDI dealio, put in a single din 'storage tray' and it works great for holding random stuff like pens, gum, stuff like that

this is what i got; you only need the 'pocket' piece. for $10 cant gowrong VS swapping the whole center console.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo...h=item4d4942d1b8:g:02QAAOxyuCJRfMOe:rk:1:pf:0

FTR I tried swapping a center console into my 6, just for the area that goes around the shifter though; it didn't physically fit to the rest of the center console or upper dash, even though the shifter boot and ashtray/cig lighter piece fits. Not sure how an armrest would work though, as far as simply mating it up to the cupholder portion of the center console.

Pics?

clownish

just clowning around
Yeah, just pull the MDI insert out

Why wouldn’t you just do this? Removing the MDi would leave a big old open space you could fill with whatever. Yes it’s partitioned but it’s still another usable spot without taking anything apart other than using the special tool keys to removing the MDI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Why wouldn’t you just do this? Removing the MDi would leave a big old open space you could fill with whatever. Yes it’s partitioned but it’s still another usable spot without taking anything apart other than using the special tool keys to removing the MDI.

Not sure about OP, but the issue I have with this is that single dins and other inserts used to replace the MDI cubby simply do not fit too well and do not have that stock feel.

Mimog3

Passed Driver's Ed

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
This is awesome, Thanks for this find! Didn't even know they offered this for the base golfs. But even the website states this fits the MK5 Golf & Jetta. I think this would confirm that they are the same part.

Yea it seemed pretty similar.
I just purchased this so if you want to wait a week or so I can grab some pics and such.
Ill be running a USB and aux port inside the console connected to my RCD 330+.
I currently have the usb port in front of my shifter and I hate that my usb just sits out in the open.

I'm also doing the dash cubby at the same time.
Gotta get more storage.

Mimog3

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea it seemed pretty similar.
I just purchased this so if you want to wait a week or so I can grab some pics and such.
Ill be running a USB and aux port inside the console connected to my RCD 330+.
I currently have the usb port in front of my shifter and I hate that my usb just sits out in the open.

I'm also doing the dash cubby at the same time.
Gotta get more storage.

Good stuff, i don't mind waiting to hear back. I was most likely gonna goto the junkyard sometime in the summer or spring and see if i can pick one up out there from a MK5 golf.

If you could also take some pics that would be great because I want to also pick up a RCD 330 and hate the USB port up in the front. How do you like the unit? is it laggy? do the steering wheel controls work well? are you using an iPhone or android? Does the phone charge quickly?

I thought about getting the dash cubby as well as the under seat drawers for maximum storage haha. I hate seeing stuff in the door pockets. Makes the car look dirty.

XSSIVE

Ready to race!
Not sure about OP, but the issue I have with this is that single dins and other inserts used to replace the MDI cubby simply do not fit too well and do not have that stock feel.

I was going to replace the console in my R when I ditched the MDI but since I used the factory blank block off plate the car came with for my bass knob, and didn't want to move it, I used a single din pocket and flocked it. It looks pretty much the same as the glove box lining and nothing inside rattles around thanks to the flocking.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
I was going to replace the console in my R when I ditched the MDI but since I used the factory blank block off plate the car came with for my bass knob, and didn't want to move it, I used a single din pocket and flocked it. It looks pretty much the same as the glove box lining and nothing inside rattles around thanks to the flocking.

Very nice by far the cleanest insert I've seen.
I already committed to buying replacement center console but this is definitely a viable option.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Good stuff, i don't mind waiting to hear back. I was most likely gonna goto the junkyard sometime in the summer or spring and see if i can pick one up out there from a MK5 golf.

If you could also take some pics that would be great because I want to also pick up a RCD 330 and hate the USB port up in the front. How do you like the unit? is it laggy? do the steering wheel controls work well? are you using an iPhone or android? Does the phone charge quickly?

I thought about getting the dash cubby as well as the under seat drawers for maximum storage haha. I hate seeing stuff in the door pockets. Makes the car look dirty.

I love the RCD 330 unit absolutely amazing.
I would recommend buying the latest 187 version comes with carplay, android auto and a rear usb.
And also newest Noname version has ability to update firmware and mess with custom firmware

I have the 187B version by Desay and I don't get android auto (no biggie for me since apple)
And I also had to solder directly to the unit's PCB to get a rear usb.
This process makes the front USB not usable but can regain functionality if unsolder rear usb and revert.

I'm going to have to reopen the unit to add a rear aux so I'll take pictures.

The unit is responsive 99% of the time, I did have it shit bricks once were it started lagging like crazy but resolved itself on next start up after a few minutes off.

With apple carplay and android auto its mainly a dock for your phone so I would imagine performance in these areas to be limited to your device to some extent.

If your not using these features its still a decent radio but nothing too special.

I had an android head unit before this and absolutely hated the laggy and inaccurate gps. Now I can use google maps through carplay and much better.

Steering wheel controls all work, however it took my unit a day before they started working. Not sure if it went through some learning process or what. I do not use the unit as a phone charger as it does not have fast charge capabilities, It will give you some juice when using carplay but I have a fast charge usb port in my 12V outlet to survive those critical moment, at those points I just connect to unit through bluetooth.

The unit has built in bluetooth that does not talk to the cars bluetooth, assuming you already have a bluetooth equipped car. I believe this disables the answer call button near the sunglass holder? I haven't tested usually don't answer calls when driving. I have taken a call with the unit once and they had no problem hearing me.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Very nice by far the cleanest insert I've seen.
I already committed to buying replacement center console but this is definitely a viable option.

this is exactly what i recommended but i didn't flock mine - that is a nice touch to minimize rattling.