GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another strange behavior for the GTI

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
When I did the oil cap test yesterday the engine was running smooth with the cap off, however you could feel air being blown out. This morning I did it again and the engine barely stayed idling and it felt like it was sucking.

Hmmm! The fact that you had two different results makes me suspicious of the PCV, hopefully it’s that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew429

Ready to race!
Me too, I did try on a tiguan and the engine stays running smooth and you can feel a suction

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Me too, I did try on a tiguan and the engine stays running smooth and you can feel a suction

With a correctly functioning PCV the car should start to run rough and even nearly stall when the cap is removed, this is because by opening the cap you create a massive vac leak, if it stays the same with cap either on or off it points to the PCV being faulty.

There should be suction, that’s normal.
You may have already seen this video, although it’s refereeing to the earlier gen engine it will give you the general idea.

https://youtu.be/hQEciqR1ST8

Andrew429

Ready to race!
I have seen that, but from seeing two different scenarios and being lost on this problem I am just going to change it. I ordered from FCPEuro when I changed it a few months ago and they have a lifetime warranty on all parts, if you send back the old part you ordered from them they issue a refund.

Andrew429

Ready to race!
Found the issue, bad MAF sensor, unplugged it and drove around, no issues whatsoever. Also have to thank APR support for helping me trouble shoot and save me from going to the stealership.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Found the issue, bad MAF sensor, unplugged it and drove around, no issues whatsoever. Also have to thank APR support for helping me trouble shoot and save me from going to the stealership.

Great, but that doesn’t explain the vacuum leak fault code, surely unplugging the MAF just masks the vac leak?!

Andrew429

Ready to race!
Well I put a brand new MAF sensor in, and it’s doing the same problem again.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
PCV! As pointed out at the start of this thread!

Andrew429

Ready to race!
I did change that as well

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Does it still throw the fault code?

Andrew429

Ready to race!
The GTI is finally officially fixed, went back and checked every connection, turned out to be the flex coupler between the MAF sensor and the stage 2 pipe, the underside towards the back had a big tear/hole in it, bought a new coupler, good as new. Never thought to check that.