GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock clutch with no tune replacement timeframe

dave780

I am torn on purchasing the Stage 1 tune because I am not looking forward to possibly deal with a slipping clutch on a 2013 GTI. My warranty is over Jan 2016.

The question I have is how many miles is it before the stock clutch with no tuning upgrades start to slip?

If it is more than 100K, I will probably get the tune after the warranty is out.

:iono:

simpson110

Ready to race!
Only 12k mile warranty on the clutch. Only way you can get it replaced is if it was a tob failure or pressure plate failure. My 2013 had the one piece tob so that probably won't fail and the pressure plate issue is not all that common. So I say go for it and get a rsr clutch and never look back.

zipsled

Ready to race!
My stock clutch started slipping about 24,000 miles after a Uni Stage 1+. You actually only have a 6000 mile warranty on the stock clutch, since it's consider a wear item.
I went with a SB Stage 2 Endurance. In hindsight, I wish I had installed a RSR.
Without a tune, there's no reason you shouldn't get at least 48K from the stock clutch.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
My stock clutch started slipping about 24,000 miles after a Uni Stage 1+. You actually only have a 6000 mile warranty on the stock clutch, since it's consider a wear item.
I went with a SB Stage 2 Endurance. In hindsight, I wish I had installed a RSR.
Without a tune, there's no reason you shouldn't get at least 48K from the stock clutch.

Why the rsr as apposed to the stage 2 SB?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Crap, with no tune and driving GOOD, I think a stock clutch should get you to 100k, why not?
With tune since 5k, I'm currently at 21k and no problems yet... If I do feel slippage, I'll let wife practice a bit driving manual because she knows how to, I just told her, not until this one slips so in case she does something, I don't blame it on her. Once it goes, I'm going with RSR and upping to Stage2. HURRAY!

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
You should have no problem getting 70k+ out of your stock clutch if you drive properly. My stock clutch lasted up until about 68k miles and the only reason it slipped was because I went K04.

If I would have stayed stock, I'm sure my clutch would have lasted me much more than 70k.

Jlove8128

Ready to race!
You should have no problem getting 70k+ out of your stock clutch if you drive properly. My stock clutch lasted up until about 68k miles and the only reason it slipped was because I went K04.

If I would have stayed stock, I'm sure my clutch would have lasted me much more than 70k.

It's just my opinion but I don't think this is true. There are many other factors that could cause the clutch to start slipping bedsides not "driving properly". Like mostly highway vs city driving. Issues with the stock clutch tend to start with 5th-6th gear slipping. This is what happened to me, and it only started after I started taking the highway to work (APR Stage 1). I drove the car hard for 35,000 before it started slipping, and as far as I am concerned I drove it "properly". I think some of it is luck of the draw also, some hold up better than others. Not trying to start an argument just my opinion.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
It's just my opinion but I don't think this is true. There are many other factors that could cause the clutch to start slipping bedsides not "driving properly". Like mostly highway vs city driving. Issues with the stock clutch tend to start with 5th-6th gear slipping. This is what happened to me, and it only started after I started taking the highway to work (APR Stage 1). I drove the car hard for 35,000 before it started slipping, and as far as I am concerned I drove it "properly". I think some of it is luck of the draw also, some hold up better than others. Not trying to start an argument just my opinion.

You're APR stage 1, he is asking about a stock tune car with a stock clutch.

It also depends on how much you use the clutch (city vs highway)

I hear ya though man, definitely a lot of different contributing factors. I do believe these clutches will last on a stock tune when driven properly.

Jlove8128

Ready to race!
Haha, reading is fundamental I stand corrected and apologize. Please proceed while I punch myself in the face.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
And OP is gone

Stinger

Ready to race!
Hasn't the subject been discussed ad nausea in multiples posts before?

Jlove8128

Ready to race!
Hasn't the subject been discussed ad nausea in multiples posts before?

Nope first time for sure. We should keep the thread going, I hope someone starts making clutch options for our cars soon.

dave780

Thanks for all the replys. I looked in other threads, but anything dealing with stock clutch replacement was on the basis of at least having a Stage 1 tune.

If the clutch isn't covered under warranty anymore, then it looks like I will be going for an APR Stage 1 with Carbonio intake.

DSchradieck

2010 GTI w/Revo Stage 1 tune, 110k miles as of today, and stock clutch is still 100% fine, no slipping, engagement is good, TOB is good. Just don't drive it like you stole it constantly and you should be able to get WELL over 100k even with a tune. If you intend on autocrossing, taking it to the local dragway, etc then that is probably a different story.