GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adding Under Seat Subwoofer - Thoughts?

Philimon

Ready to race!
What the feck. I did not realize you could vagcom the HU for preamp signals. How much is this vagcom controller?

I am visiting this subforum because im looking to do another sub. I was thinking a 15” infinite baffle using the cargo cover (replaced with wood). Not perfectly sealed so maybe something also open baffle suitable.

I would try the cheap under seat sub first OP. If you dont like it then its not so bad cause inexpensive. My suspicion is that it will be great because its cheap and also physically located in front so you have less installation and less time alignment issue (saving more $ to fix to make sound good). The under seat sub certainly wont play deep but like you said, filtering the bass to a sub will help with distortion on your door speakers (mids) which is more important.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
What the feck. I did not realize you could vagcom the HU for preamp signals. How much is this vagcom controller?

I am visiting this subforum because im looking to do another sub. I was thinking a 15” infinite baffle using the cargo cover (replaced with wood). Not perfectly sealed so maybe something also open baffle suitable.

I would try the cheap under seat sub first OP. If you dont like it then its not so bad cause inexpensive. My suspicion is that it will be great because its cheap and also physically located in front so you have less installation and less time alignment issue (saving more $ to fix to make sound good). The under seat sub certainly wont play deep but like you said, filtering the bass to a sub will help with distortion on your door speakers (mids) which is more important.

IB in a hatchback isn't going to work. You would need a VERY solid cargo shelf, and it will need to fit very snug. IB works by separating the front and back wave, so in addition to the shelf, you'll need to build a baffle for the back seats. The seat foam will do nothing to prevent the long waves of subwoofer frequencies from interfering with the front wave. I wish I could say it would work. My Subaru had 2 Acoustic Elegance SPB 15's IB, I'd love to do something similar, but it simply isn't going to happen in a hatchback, you should rethink that before you start buying equipment.

Last edited: