GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on Pad/Rotor Combo

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Only one way to find out...

You willing to be the guinea pig and post up a review?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Can I pay you on say, Tuesday?

ben_m

Ready to race!
Haven't bought them yet. I'll probably do it in June when I need to get my car inspected and an alignment.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Went ahead and ordered them. Parts looks pretty nice and Pads look like they have tons of Meat on them. Can't wait to get them installed and try them out.

ben_m

Ready to race!
So far so good. They look nice and have a good progressive bite. Haven't really driven the car after getting the new pads seated but under heavy braking car def felt much better at stopping.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I'm in the market for new rotors and pads too, but I'll probably get normal rotors and street pads... I'm always skeptical of drilled/slotted rotors.

But for that price, those don't look too bad. I have regular power stop pads and rotors on my Daily impreza and they work great. :)

ben_m

Ready to race!
I'm in the market for new rotors and pads too, but I'll probably get normal rotors and street pads... I'm always skeptical of drilled/slotted rotors.

But for that price, those don't look too bad. I have regular power stop pads and rotors on my Daily impreza and they work great. :)

I could have gone for blanks and saved $50 but I figured what the hell and give it a shot. The combo is actually very quiet.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
The kit you bought is $350 isn't it (front and rears)?

I'm going to do the KOE5801 OEM kit, with the blanks... Rockauto is selling the kit for ~$230 shipped.

EDIT: Faq me hard, just found some centric blanks w/posi-quiets on tirerack for $220.

Last edited:

ben_m

Ready to race!
Overall I'm not impressed with the kit. They are quiet, but the braking doesn't seem to be any better than OEM. O well, live and learn.

On the plus side I replaced my bent rim, its nice to do HWY speeds and not feel the car is going to shake apart.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Overall I'm not impressed with the kit. They are quiet, but the braking doesn't seem to be any better than OEM. O well, live and learn.

On the plus side I replaced my bent rim, its nice to do HWY speeds and not feel the car is going to shake apart.

Yeah, on my Subaru the Power Stop kit feels slightly better than OEM. However, I think its more pad than anything. Maybe change to a super bitey pad like the hawk hps?

That said, I did end up going with the centric kit.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
how necessary is it to change the hardware while doing pad/rotor install?
and or what is a must change/waste of money to change?

example this stuff (front pad/rotor install kit from ecs)

and rear install kit

I mainly ask because they sell stoptechs pad/rotor kit (im guessing without install stuff) for $400 or i can buy ECS geomet rotors and Hawk hps pads with install kit for $640.

Is the extra ~$200 in install kit needed? or should i just source pads and rotors only?

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
That kit would be nice to have, but my take is that kit is probably not needed. You might want to pull a wheel & look at what is there now. Is there a lot of corrosion? Are those rubber boots intact? If not you could have corrosion on the slider pins.