GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping R parts onto my GTI

BINX1

Hey guys, I have a black 2012 golf gti and looking to do some upgrades at what I was thinking is buying a wrecked mk6 golf R and using it for parts, changing brakes, suspension, drivetrain? Sway bars, pretty mush ever thing I can, down to the turbo if it's even worth it! Just wondering if anyone has every done this before and what you guys think!

Added a photo of my car :)

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

clownish

just clowning around
It’s a marginal upgrade imo - if you want real upgrades go aftermarket. Plenty of people have done smaller upgrades because a lot of parts directly bolt on. For example by now lot of us have our entire suspensions swapped out with aftermarket and OEM parts from Audi and other VW parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
I personally don't think it's worth it...the Golf R stuff is barely upgrades, you would be better off getting aftermarket suspension, sway bars, etc. The turbo is worth having, the other stuff is just meh.

BINX1

It’s a marginal upgrade imo - if you want real upgrades go aftermarket. Plenty of people have done smaller upgrades because a lot of parts directly bolt on. For example by now lot of us have our entire suspensions swapped out with aftermarket and OEM parts from Audi and other VW parts.

I personally don't think it's worth it...the Golf R stuff is barely upgrades, you would be better off getting aftermarket suspension, sway bars, etc. The turbo is worth having, the other stuff is just meh.
Okay fair enough, if I do come across a cheap one tho I'd still be interested in swapping the drivetrain to get AWD. Any idea if that's even possible?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
minus the AWD, K04 and of course the body kit (if salvageable) not worth it IMO.

There is one guy on here who made a build thread of swapping the AWD R drivetrain onto his... golf wagon or something? It was pretty cool, think it would be found in the members car journals.

zrickety

The Fixer
You can swap the AWD, it's more work but doable. Somebody on here did the JSW (jetta wagon) and even did it twice. Search for that thread!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Comes down to how much are you going to invest to move parts over than the cost of actually owning an "R"?

Sometimes I don't get the want to have the "R" look but keeping the GTI FWD platform. For me, I translate the "R" and it's look with "AWD". If you don't got it, then it's more of a poser GTI. Own the fact that you have a FWD car and the quirks that go a long with it, lol.

2WD isn't all that bad, my argument is that, once the power hits the ground and connects w/o spinning, it's more power going down to the two wheels than dividing it amongst all 4, lol.

cchase__

Ready to race!
Yeah but if a K04 GTI is faster and lighter then there is a want to upgrade the looks as well.

I see nothing wrong with having an r bumper and skirts. It's essentially the same car.

You could argue that AWD is faster at a dig but let's be honest most of the time no one is doing that (If racing is really your concern)

It would be a big no no if a v6 camaro had a zl1 body kit. Now that's what you call a poser.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
R just looks better I'm all for swapping the bumpers

zrickety

The Fixer
I don't knock any of the R bumper swaps...guys do GTI valence on the Golf, dual exhaust, it's the same idea. I'm also from the lighter is faster camp, hence why I haven't bought an R yet. A modded GTI is faster on the street, and I would argue faster at the track. Only in a drag race might an R win.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Okay fair enough, if I do come across a cheap one tho I'd still be interested in swapping the drivetrain to get AWD. Any idea if that's even possible?

Sell GTI, buy R.
/:

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
If you wanna stick to the "OEM+" route, you'll probably be better served by Audi parts.

clownish

just clowning around
You can swap in the AWD components but it is a lot of fabrication, welding, coding and wiring. The parts alone, even with a donor car, still end up being a few grand. If you think it’s easy, it isn’t. If it’s worth it - that’s subjective. But it is pretty cool. A few people have done it over the years - if you pay a shop it’ll cost you a lot.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Sell GTI, buy R.
/:

x2 on this

In the end, after the costs/time/labor, it would've just been easier & quicker to buy the R instead and you're left with a Franken GTI that won't be worth anything near an R (in comparison to the R which holds it value pretty well)