GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
when jr hit his number it was more of a race tune i believe. he lowered his boost for daily driving.

i don't think that's entirely accurate. I believed JR lowered his boost to take it easy on a turbo that already had over 10k miles on it as he was selling it and wanted to make sure the buyer wouldn't have to worry about a rebuild anytime soon.

Skully DD his 500whp car on race gas and MBC for a while. So there's that too.

Last edited:

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
when jr hit his number it was more of a race tune i believe. he lowered his boost for daily driving.

i don't think that's entirely accurate. I believed JR lowered his boost to take it easy on a turbo that already had over 10k miles on it as he was selling it and wanted to make sure the buyer wouldn't have to worry about a rebuild anytime soon.

Skully DD his 500whp car on race gas and EBC for a while. So there's that too.

I turned the boost way down to as a courtesy is correct, its what any good used seller what do. I would want it done for me as well if I were to buy.

I did drive at 20psi daily before, it had plenty of power 410whp for me as a normal driver. Plus it was winter and had snow tires on so traction was an issue. Although I could hit the high boost button on the fly and have more power easily. Also, high boost was not a glory run at least on my car, no problems driving any where on it but I didn't need to. I also decided to sell shortly after and turned it all the way down.

My new setup will have a 18-20psi setting on the boost control for ~400whp and will have a high boost to what ever we can safely hit on 93 and W/M, won't know until I cross that bridge though.

And yes Skully did say he DD'd it on race fuel for a bit, but that gets $$$$$$.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
To answer some questions, the car did go from 365 to 484 by just adding Unitronic fueling kit (injectors and Pump) and race fuel mix with 93 oct (and yes we do have 93 oct in PR see the picture below) then we added more pounds of boost and full race fuel and we hit 511whp. Like it was said before the car has gtx3071r with aftermarket rods and pistons stock bore and compression. If you want more info about our shop or built ups go to

Well obviously with injectors you are going to get more power, the question is whether the lpfp was necessary.

Anyone with the Uni fueling upgrade care to comment on the pressure from your lpfp vs. stock?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
He mentioned Fueling Kit, i assume he meant fueling system Unitronic TSI High Output Fuel System including the lpfp

And I am saying it is very likely that all of his power increase could be attributed to the injectors and he needlessly paid more for the LPFP. To verify this or discredit this thought, I am asking if the LPFP upgrade raises the pressure or not.

Basically, I don't buy the fact that the LPFP upgrade is necessary (at least not yet)

But it doesn't matter anyway, because I'm not big turbo and don't plan to be. I'm just interested in the tech side of the discussion.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
BAM is mitch,

You seem to know a thing or 2 about this topic. Is it possible to run two different volumes of fuel at the same pressure? Kinda like boost. The bigger turbo guys can run the same psi as us K04's but they have a larger volume of air.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
BAM is mitch,

You seem to know a thing or 2 about this topic. Is it possible to run two different volumes of fuel at the same pressure? Kinda like boost. The bigger turbo guys can run the same psi as us K04's but they have a larger volume of air.

The larger volume of air just allows them to run the same psi at higher engine speeds and also allows them to be at a better spot on the "efficiency island" which results in lower charge temps. Their real power comes at higher boost. The difference between that and fuel is compressibility. Fuel is effectively incompressible. With an incompressible fluid and a fixed volume pump (hpfp) downstream, pressure doesn't matter. So to answer your question, as far as the fuel system on our cars is concerned, with the hpfp in place you can't run different volumes of fuel with the same pressure.

Now, with that said, if you run higher pressure to the hpfp it is possible it would increase the efficiency of the hpfp which would result in more fuel. How much would be hard to say, but it likely wouldn't be much.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
The larger volume of air just allows them to run the same psi at higher engine speeds and also allows them to be at a better spot on the "efficiency island" which results in lower charge temps. Their real power comes at higher boost. The difference between that and fuel is compressibility. Fuel is effectively incompressible. With an incompressible fluid and a fixed volume pump (hpfp) downstream, pressure doesn't matter. So to answer your question, as far as the fuel system on our cars is concerned, with the hpfp in place you can't run different volumes of fuel with the same pressure.

Now, with that said, if you run higher pressure to the hpfp it is possible it would increase the efficiency of the hpfp which would result in more fuel. How much would be hard to say, but it likely wouldn't be much.

The problem with the technical details is no tuner wants to tell the other tuner what they are thinking and what their R&D came up with. Good post I learned a few things lol.

EDIT: I wil say though, I find it impossible to believe this pump does nothing. The 2 cars that installed it made nice power

Last edited:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
so this brings me back to my question from a few pages back

why do they sell the lpfp by itself but to get the injectors you have to buy both?

B

Bronson@APR

You got it spot on, Perfect :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.