GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dirty Exhaust Tips

Cole Trickle

Ready to race!
My stainless steel CTS Turbo exhaust looks great.. except when the tips are covered in black shit. Even when I polish them up, the black is back 2 weeks later. Is this unavoidable?

Other info:
- VCDS logs say my lambda values stay between 0.7-0.9 on WOT pulls (if memory serves).
- I have a catted CTS DP and catback exhaust - I drove around with the CEL on for a year after installing it, before going stage 2
- I drove around with a faulty intake manifold (P2015) for about a month before getting it replaced
- I run the 93 octane stage 2 GIAC file

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
If your car is tuned, and you're beating on it, you're gonna have soot on the tips. Thats just how it is

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
It could be running rich. That's what my old man said anyway. I had it checked and turns out the PCV diaphragm was blown.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
On a positive note it's better to have that stuff on your exhaust tips than further up inside your engine. Babying the car to prevent it from happening not only makes your ride boring, but also promotes earlier carbon buildup. Just have some fun with the car and stop worrying about something as silly as exhaust tips.

I mean yes, it might be something that's nice to clean for a car show or something. But much like tires and wheels they're still a functional part of the car that's going to get dirty almost right away once you get rolling again.