GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Issues (burning smell)

Cameltoejoe1

Hey guys,

I'm currently waiting for my favourite indi-mechanic to come back from vacation but hopefully we have some mechanically-brilliant people on this board. Yea I fucked up quite a few times on here so feel free to laugh at me.

I was driving around for quite some time(maybe 5 hours) with only 3/4 spark plugs working. At the end of that 5 hour journey I was at a stoplight and I could smell something burning, it had sort of a plastic/rubbery smell and it seem to be coming from the back of the car, not the engine bay. When I got home I started to swap all the spark plugs. I used a torque wrench accidentally over-torqued one of the spark plugs (cylinder 2). There MAY have been some debris that fell into the cylinder head. I tried fishing out anything that could've fallen in with a magnet but I found nothing(I didn't use a vacuum until later). I stupidly started the car thinking that all was fine but it wouldn't start, the car felt like the battery was dying (a single *click* and nothing more)

I bought a spark plug repair kit, rethreaded said hole, tried sucking out any hell-debris left over and still, the car wont start. When I tried starting the car all I got was a single clicking noise. I think it may have something to do with that burning smell. I had the battery tested at my local auto store and it's in tip-top condition.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Hedgehodge

Passed Driver's Ed
How did you rethread the sparkplug hole...with the valve cover still on? You probably got tons of metal shavings inside the hole, not good, but not sure dmg it may cause.

What do you think fell inside, I'm confused but yeah. Spark plugs go in with fingers then only like 18ft/lbs tight,no more

Your car probably turned off a cylinder after so many misfires

Holy hell only 3 pages back these are old, sorry didn't notice

Last edited: