GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New here... between the Focus ST and the GTI

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
For $600, tune will give you the biggest bang for your buck. Also, I recommend picking up NGK plugs and R8 coilpacks when you get your tune, as the stock coilpacks are prone to failure when tuned.

Brakes: For the casual enthusiast, pads and stainless lines would be a big step up. Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on the Tyrol brake stiffening kit. They need periodic re-greasing, and can get noisy over time.

Suspension: I'd go DG springs and pair them with Bilstein or Koni dampers and a matched set of sway bars. That will be the best overall package for daily driving and backroad cruising.

Since you're in PA, I'd stay away from coilovers in favor of a strut/shock package, simply due to the salt they put on the roads in the winter.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
So...need some opinions. I've had my GTI for a couple months now and while I love it, I'm already getting bored and have the itch to modify it. I don't have a lot of money to spend right now so I'm trying to figure out which mod I should do first since it'll probably be a little while before I do the next one. $600 is my limit. So... here's my list:
1. Stage 1 APR tune
2. DieselGeek short throw shifter
3. Stainless steel brake lines and stoptech pads (I hate the mushy pedal feel the car has stock)
4. DG or VWR springs (I'd ideally like to go for the Bilstein B14-PSS later on though)
What do you guys think is going to be the most worthwhile first mod?

Not sure if this would help you but there is a vag com tweak for brake responsiveness... Just a though

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys! One more question... I'm new to the whole tuning thing, if I get a Stage 1 tune and then add a Carbonio intake later on would I have to get the car re-tuned to get the best performance gains? Or does it not make a difference if I do the tune or intake first?

Not sure if this would help you but there is a vag com tweak for brake responsiveness... Just a though

Really? I didn't know that... I'll search around on the forum and see what I can dig up on that :D Thanks!

Thanks guys! One more question... I'm new to the whole tuning thing, if I get a Stage 1 tune and then add a Carbonio intake later on would I have to get the car re-tuned to get the best performance gains? Or does it not make a difference if I do the tune or intake first?

you can get a tune then add the intake, it doesn't matter.

also the brake thing, won't make the car stop better, it just assists it, you will just press the pedal less.

i don't recommend it, because in case of a panic brake, you will press the pedal all the way down, and it will apply more assist since you messed up the settings and lock up the brakes.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
With the brake assist it'll just be relearning the responsiveness again. Just like any new car it'll be diff. If you slam on the breaks now you can lock them up. I don't like real touchy feeling breaks either. He just mentioned it feeling mushy and I know this will alter the feel. Just wasn't sure if that would change the feel he's talking about.

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36478

See brake assist

With the brake assist it'll just be relearning the responsiveness again. Just like any new car it'll be diff. If you slam on the breaks now you can lock them up. I don't like real touchy feeling breaks either. He just mentioned it feeling mushy and I know this will alter the feel. Just wasn't sure if that would change the feel he's talking about.

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36478

See brake assist

you don't need braking assist.. you have your own foot for that. it's a useless vagcom setting. if it was so helpful it would come stock.

altering with factory settings; something as important as braking is not my cup of tea, if you want to do it, go for it. mushy feeling is there because of the rubber bushings. get a tyrol kit and be done with it. it needs lubing once a year, with your oil change you do them together.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
you don't need braking assist.. you have your own foot for that. it's a useless vagcom setting. if it was so helpful it would come stock.

altering with factory settings; something as important as braking is not my cup of tea, if you want to do it, go for it. mushy feeling is there because of the rubber bushings. get a tyrol kit and be done with it. it needs lubing once a year, with your oil change you do them together.

Lol I never said you needed it. OP said he didn't like the mushy feel. I didn't bring it up due to any usefulness, but instead as a way to adjust the feel of the brake pedal.

The mushyness coming from rubber bushings was a useful tid bit tho.

Lol I never said you needed it. OP said he didn't like the mushy feel. I didn't bring it up due to any usefulness, but instead as a way to adjust the feel of the brake pedal.

The mushyness coming from rubber bushings was a useful tid bit tho.

you still don't get what i am saying.. it doesn't fix any of those feelings.. it will still feel like you are stepping on dog poop under hard braking because there's fade, rubber expansion( you know what heat does) but you press it less with the settings... our brakes have electronic sensors that feel this.

the only way you get better braking is upgrading the items such as pads, rotors, calipers, lines, fluids, brake bushings etc. bbk.. you get the point.

The VCDS setting is there because it's a hack, you shouldn't be able to alter these settings but vagcom lets you do it. Im just explaining to you the concept of why that option is there. you will press the pedal less because it assists the amount you give and Times it by the setting changed. lets say 1, 2, 3. It will apply that much more on how much you press it.

anyways, we are on the same page. it's just that vcds settings seems like it will help but it doesn't.

cheers.

let's not thread jack.

OP times 1953531 On the tune like I and the rest have said.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
APR sale ends tomorrow. Go find a dealer that is open or a local shop that let's you buy the tune online.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
APR sale ends tomorrow. Go find a dealer that is open or a local shop that let's you buy the tune online.

This. Try to buy stage 1 while on sale so you get all dem extra programs for free