GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe Reducer

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
good pics. i can tell it has to be welded. it would never seal on the 3" with just a clamp. The metal won't crush enough.

(if you used a lap joint band clamp like i showed in one of my recent videos, it would seal. but not a accuseal clamp, those just distort.)

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
I think it could crush with a band but we're doing a bung anyway so while the welder is out I don't see the hesitation in finishing the job. Thankful that my bud can weld, that's not a skill of mine haha.

My Flickr!

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
good pics. i can tell it has to be welded. it would never seal on the 3" with just a clamp. The metal won't crush enough.

(if you used a lap joint band clamp like i showed in one of my recent videos, it would seal. but not a accuseal clamp, those just distort.)

Yeah those dynomax lap clamps would work well for you if you weren't already welding. Although you might have to measure for clearance with your particular setup.

The adapter has slits made into the end so it should clamp on fairly well for anyone who doesn't want to weld.

Problem for me is that my milltek already has a flared end to accept a standard 3" OD pipe so the adapter's flared end won't slide in. Back to the drawing board for me!

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah those dynomax lap clamps would work well for you if you weren't already welding. Although you might have to measure for clearance with your particular setup.

The adapter has slits made into the end so it should clamp on fairly well for anyone who doesn't want to weld.

Problem for me is that my milltek already has a flared end to accept a standard 3" OD pipe so the adapter's flared end won't slide in. Back to the drawing board for me!

oh ya, i remember what that Millitek looks like. instead of tapering down to oem sleeve size, it tapers UP size instead, right? Thats a pretty weird setup. if you could take exact measurements on each side, you could have one custom made. they can expand the metal a tad with those tools to make it perfect.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
oh ya, i remember what that Millitek looks like. instead of tapering down to oem sleeve size, it tapers UP size instead, right? Thats a pretty weird setup. if you could take exact measurements on each side, you could have one custom made. they can expand the metal a tad with those tools to make it perfect.

Yeah it flares up and is meant to be a full TBE. Meaning it accepts the tail end of their 3" downpipe that plugs straight into the flared section. They do sell a cat back option only which is odd. Maybe they make an adapter they just don't list on their site. I'll email them eventually to ask.

I need to get one of those digital caliper measuring devices from harbor freight or something. I had an adapter made already actually but its pretty mickey mouse so I'm looking for something more solid.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
I've used a 3" to 2.5" Flowmaster I found on amazon. Works perfectly. I think it was 2.5" ID.

It slipped into your stock mating sleeve? 2.5" should be too large to fit into there.

Got a second to look at your Amazon purchase history and link it?

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
It slipped into your stock mating sleeve? 2.5" should be too large to fit into there.

Got a second to look at your Amazon purchase history and link it?

It fit over the downpipe, but I bought a different sleeve. http://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-R3...sr=8-1&keywords=flowmaster+3"+to+2.5"+reducer (actually 2.5 OD)

Although now that I think about it, I think it was a tight fit. The downpipe went in, but barely. It's also 10" long, so you may have to cut part of it off.

Worked for me, I used it ~2 years until I switched to a 3" catback.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
The ECS reducer was too small

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Fit perfectly over 3' standard gauge T304, fit into OEM Catback but not snugly. Had the muffler shop bead it to fix the leak.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
ECS was kind enough to refund me including shipping.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Well it was a general use reducer. But I agree. They have nothing specified for the GTI which I don't really understand.