GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 r or skyline r32?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
If I wanted a daily rocket whose normal depreciation cost can be written off as the price of transportation, Golf R. If I wanted a toy on the side that I could swap out on a whim without losing much value, GT-R.

Krog29

Ready to race!
My mk6 is paid off. Stage 2 since 60k and has 90k miles on it right now. Updated water pump and timing chain tensioner done be me. Well everything I've done to my mk6 was done by me. The skyline would be my tow. It would be stored for winter since I live in Minnesota (we use a lot of salt on the roads) but it would be out a lot during the summer time. Not going to be a show car.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Serious question... I love my mk6 gti. Was thinking of getting a mk7.5 r with the dq500 dsg.. or should I run this f*ucker in the dirt and get a skyline r32 for a project car?

Do they really come with the gearbox? That's nice!

Imo skyline. You see mk7 Golf Rs more than anything else on the road.

Sad but true.

If I wanted a daily rocket whose normal depreciation cost can be written off as the price of transportation, Golf R. If I wanted a toy on the side that I could swap out on a whim without losing much value, GT-R.

Yup :thumbsup:

SyDiko

Ready to race!
He has a 1995 R33 Gtr vspec he is willing to let me buy it. .

Your debate right now is between an MK7R vs R33 as a project? As a tuner, you should absolutely jump on the R33. And, the only reason why you shouldn't jump on the R33 is because you found a R34 at an even better price. :thumbsup:

davisharr

Go Kart Champion
Actually just found out a buddy of mine lives in Japan from my military days. He has a 1995 R33 Gtr vspec he is willing to let me buy it. Cant import it till 2020.

If you need someone to watch it for you I could always register it up here in Canada and baby sit her for you ;)

Personally I have driven an r33, r34 and a heavily modified r32, none of them GTR's. Just the mid range RWD Turbo models. I liked them, but with the way prices are now going I dont think they are as worth the money as they used to be. A GTST/GTT for 10K or a GTR for 25 was a great price, but now that they are legal in the U.S. the prices are getting a little silly.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Have you considered having something else imported? The GT-R has undeniable parking lot appeal, but twin turbo Mk3 Supras, Silvias, and "normal" turbo Skylines are pretty cheap right now. A good way to dangle your feet in the pool without going all in on something as expensive as a GT-R.

1JZ-GTE Supras look really appealing to me right now and a clean one might turn nearly as many heads as a GT-R.

Krog29

Ready to race!
A gtr has been a dream car of mine for a very long time. I've driven a couple r32 and r33s about 10 years ago. The car my buddy has the one i want to by is pushing 550 to the wheels on 91 and has e85 set up as well. Going to pull the trigger once I fly there and drive the car.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Normally I would say R32 GTR, but you better get yourself a pristine example of one. R32 GTR's are money pits, about on the same level as an E30 M3 I would say. Pains me to say it because I fancy R32 GTR's, but given the number of janky-ass R-grade examples that get brought in to the states by scrupulous importers I've had a change of heart on them.

At least with the MK7.5R you wouldn't be subjected to the infamous passenger dash bubble nor would you suffer from rust issues.

Ironic that I'm saying this since I hate VW, but gotta call a spade a spade here. In any case, hope OP finds a Grade 4 or higher R32 GTR soon.

Speaking of JDM cars, I'm bringing an old man Toyota stateside in the next few weeks:

Yup, just another Camry.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Normally I would say R32 GTR, but you better get yourself a pristine example of one. R32 GTR's are money pits, about on the same level as an E30 M3 I would say. Pains me to say it because I fancy R32 GTR's, but given the number of janky-ass R-grade examples that get brought in to the states by scrupulous importers I've had a change of heart on them.

At least with the MK7.5R you wouldn't be subjected to the infamous passenger dash bubble nor would you suffer from rust issues.

Ironic that I'm saying this since I hate VW, but gotta call a spade a spade here. In any case, hope OP finds a Grade 4 or higher R32 GTR soon.

Speaking of JDM cars, I'm bringing an old man Toyota stateside in the next few weeks:

Yup, just another Camry.

What are the deets on this guy? How much is it going to cost you to bring a 2jz sleeper over or is it a 1jz? This interests me.

Last edited:

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
What are the deets on this guy? How much is it going to cost you to bring a 2jz sleeper over or is it a 1jz? This interests me.

It's a bone stock Tourer V, with 79,000 km's and it's obviously a 1JZ-GTE from that photo (the 2500 gives it away).

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
It's a bone stock Tourer V, with 79,000 km's and it's obviously a 1JZ-GTE from that photo (the 2500 gives it away).

Forgive me, I don't really know the nuances about JDM vehicles. I hear the 1jz is not a bad engine though. Are you leaving it stock or do you have plans for modification?

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Forgive me, I don't really know the nuances about JDM vehicles. I hear the 1jz is not a bad engine though. Are you leaving it stock or do you have plans for modification?

It'd be a shame to leave such a car in stock form.

Norvix

I've personally never been a big fan of any generation gt-r as I simply just find them over-hyped and, for the majority at least (other than a small demographic of actual enthusiasts), the wet dream of a 15 year old who just saw f&f for the first time and hopping on the fanboy wagon. if I were to keep my mk6 and pick up a weekend project it would be between an E46 M3 or maybe a supra depending what I could find locally in my area.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I've personally never been a big fan of any generation gt-r as I simply just find them over-hyped and, for the majority at least (other than a small demographic of actual enthusiasts), the wet dream of a 15 year old who just saw f&f for the first time and hopping on the fanboy wagon. if I were to keep my mk6 and pick up a weekend project it would be between an E46 M3 or maybe a supra depending what I could find locally in my area.

Uh they don't call it Godzilla for nothing.