GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mishimoto MK6 Intercooler R&D Thread

Mishimoto

Ready to race!
How much power are you aiming for this intercooler to handle? Stock location or front mount?

OEM mounted location and affordable and I'm in.

What specs and price point do you have planned?

We are currently planning on using the stock mounting location, but info on specs and pricing will come once we dive more into the project!

The MK6 market is pretty saturated with intercooler options already. Now if you guys made a radiator and fan shrouds, that would be awesome, since most can't afford the TyrolSport and that's pretty much the only option for this platform. Guys who track these cars suffer from coolant temps since beefier aftermarket intercoolers tend to restrict the amount of air the radiator gets.

Radiator would be nice

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll definitely pass your interest in a radiator along!

-Nick

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
We are currently planning on using the stock mounting location, but info on specs and pricing will come once we dive more into the project!

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll definitely pass your interest in a radiator along!

-Nick

Sweet in4updates on the project!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i think this would be a good option if its in the ~$500 range and has good fitment. (Stock vs front mount i dont really care). But if its in the ~$700+ range theres no point in entering the market as there are 10 other ones to choose from at that price range that are already established and been out for awhile.

If youre gonna come into the market 8-9 years later you need to offer affordable/cost effective items to get business otherwise your just wasting your own time and money.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Im in for an affordable aluminum radiator($500)
Also interested in a fmic and will be buying these soon.

Mishimoto

Ready to race!
Sweet in4updates on the project!

:thumbup:

i think this would be a good option if its in the ~$500 range and has good fitment. (Stock vs front mount i dont really care). But if its in the ~$700+ range theres no point in entering the market as there are 10 other ones to choose from at that price range that are already established and been out for awhile.

If youre gonna come into the market 8-9 years later you need to offer affordable/cost effective items to get business otherwise your just wasting your own time and money.

We do intend on doing everything that we can to keep the pricing competitive, and will be starting out with a discounted presale with the option to finance ;)

Im in for an affordable aluminum radiator($500)
Also interested in a fmic and will be buying these soon.

I'll keep you guys posted for sure if the radiator comes to fruition!

-Nick

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
You guys would do well making radiators. There's only one on the market and the price is insane. I had a really really tough time buying it because the price is outrageous for a radiator but when there's no other option what do you do... Believe me I investigated with mishimoto before doing that and was told there's no plans in the mix.

clownish

just clowning around
You guys would do well making radiators. There's only one on the market and the price is insane. I had a really really tough time buying it because the price is outrageous for a radiator but when there's no other option what do you do... Believe me I investigated with mishimoto before doing that and was told there's no plans in the mix.

It really kinda annoyed me because there's a mk5 one but it doesn't fit the mk6. And Ive never heard great things about the other options for aftermarket radiators available. Ive seen several installed in person and they've all required some modifications to fit properly. None were plug and play as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
We do intend on doing everything that we can to keep the pricing competitive, and will be starting out with a discounted presale with the option to finance ;)

-Nick

That would be quite interesting to me... i only really want to do a intercooler as my last engine performance mod

Im pretty happy with my stratified tune (equivalent stage 2) power wise and would just like the constancy of a larger/cooler intercooler and i would be set.

hmk6

+1 for the radiator.

It would be great to combine the two projects (radiator & intercooler) for you to design the best solution in the market.

richterat83

Passed Driver's Ed
In for updates. First Florida summer with my car and showed me it needs an upgrade and loved your radiator in my turbo Miata.

Mishimoto

Ready to race!
Hey Guys,

Happy Monday! I'm bringing this thread back from the dead to kick off our on going blog on the development of this intercooler!

The pedigree behind the GTI is no foreign concept here. It's been around for what seems like forever, and it more or less invented the entire concept of the hot hatch. With the MK7 getting a pretty new face recently, and the MK8 soon to be rolling off the lots, the MK6 has really started to become the poster boy for modding. We all know how to make these cars faster, and how the stock intercooler can't seem to keep up.

For starters, the mounting location isn't ideal. Granted, it is a front mount, with a ton of surface area, but that's all thwarted by the fact that there's an AC condenser sitting right in front. Not to mention the radiator at close proximity on the other side.

While our engineer works on devising a better cooling solution for the MK6, make sure you head to the Engineering Blog to get the full scoop on the stock system.

Feel free to shoot me any comments questions or concerns you might have!

-Nick

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Ra-di-at-or. Lol :)