GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replace spark plugs at only 22k miles?

cacophony555

Ready to race!
My 2012 Golf 2.5L is due for its 4 year service but only has 22k miles. The 4 year/40k service mentions replacing the spark plugs.

Should I be replacing the spark plugs or should I wait a few more years until I'm closer to 40k miles?

Anyone know if the OEM plugs are platinum?

lewylou78

Ready to race!
I did my first spark plug change at 35K, and the plugs looked pretty good. I didn't really notice an improvement in fuel economy (with the new plugs) either.

I would wait if I were you (unless you are seeing a drop in fuel economy or you notice the engine running slightly rougher compared to when the car was newer).

The OEM plugs aren't that cheap so there is no need to waste money on them if you don't have to.

lewylou78

Ready to race!
what plugs and coils packs are good for the 2.5? my JSW is due

Stick with the OEM spark plugs that were made for your engine. My 2010 2.5 (CBUA engine code) uses Bosch plugs (OEM p/n 101905601F, aftermarket p/n FR7HE02). However, your car may be different, and not many online places have the right application when you search. Just remove one plug (if possible) from the engine to see what p/n it is.

I would stick with the OEM coil packs as well (OEM p/n 07K905715F), unless you want to upgrade to the red top coil packs (OEM p/n 06E905115E) which don't really give the 2.5 engine any additional benefits, but they look nice.

BTW, coil packs don't have to be replaced at the same time as spark plugs. The interval for spark plugs on a 2.5 is around 40K miles. There is no interval for coil packs because they are supposed to last much longer.