GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Off-Topic Discussions > OFF-TOPIC Lounge!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
DBESTGTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Stage 2 GTI
Vacation pics/GoPro Vid - Whistler

We booked a trip to Whistler for 7 days, 6 nights, and 5 lift tickets through Snow Ventures for my wife and I and out friend Wally (Erin).

Day 1 - We were out of the house by 5:15am Chicago time and headed over to Wally's where her mom drove us the rest of the way to the airport. We got O'Hare and had the longest back check line ever but bringing skis for my wife and I and a snowboard for Wally we had to check bags. We got through security, jumped on a plane for 4 hour flight to Vancouver and then sat in line for over an hour and half to get through customs. This left us no time to even grab some fast food in the airport if we wanted to catch our bus transport to Whistler. The bus ride was 3 hours because we went through down town Vancouver picking up more people along the way. It's a nice scenic, water to the left and mountains to the right. The bus stopped in Creekside first and dropped us off then headed to Whistler Village, both are Whistler but the town is just split in half with a small road connecting them. We got dropped off outside the front door only to find out there is nowhere to check in, despite being called Lake Placid Lodge it's all condos, most of them privately owned.... no front desk, no way in without a key, nothing. So eventually I find out I have to go to The Aspens in the Village to check in there. So I leave my wife and Wally with our stuff and I start walking trying to find out how I get to where I want to be. After some direction from a little blonde girl at a bus stop (who helped me out huge by covering my bus ticket since it was $2.50 and all I had was a $20 and there is no change, some direction from the bus driver and couple old dudes I walked with while they were trying to get to the same street, I finally found my way over there and checked in. They called me a cab to get back and gave me a taxi voucher to cover it. So from the time I left my house to the time I got into our room it was 15 hours of traveling... long day with only breakfast. Next stop was dinner, we went to a local pizza place, it was awesome food but the Captain and Diet Coke I ordered was a Bacardi and Diet Pepsi by the time I got it. Following that we stopped by the grocery store to raped. Prices are insane.... 18 pack of Budweiser was $54, 2 AA batteries was $6, a box of cereal was $8, the big Powerades you see selling for 2 for $3 - they have small powerades selling for 2 for $5. Our intention was grocery shop and save money but we ended up eating out alot since it wasn't any more expensive then making it ourselves. By the end of day 1 I was hating Canadia.

Day 2 - We were liking our choice of staying Creekside, it's smaller, quieter, way less crowded, and no lines for the Gondola, and we could stay at a ski in ski out place at an affordable price. Our skiing started off going horribly wrong, it was raining at the base, mid mountain was fog so thick you came out of it wet and your visability was literally 10-15 feet, it was hard to find were the trail went and where the trees started. We worked our way all the way up Whistler Mountain to the top where skys were cloudy but it was dry and plesent and then went over to one of the bowls. we got to the edge of the bowl and I'm like ok I'm heading this way, you guys may want to just take the easier way down and we can meet up at the bottom of the bowl. I take off and they start making there way back over to the groomed round about way down. They get to a point were they couldn't go any further without having to go up a bit, my wife was fine on skis but Wally had to take her snowboard off to walk. She gets out of the bindings, undoes the leash from her boot and takes like 5 steps and drops her board. Without even thinking about it she superman leaps for her board, catches it as she hits the ground and her momentum slide her right off the edge head first into the bowl. No my wife was watching and laughing thinking she was gonna be laying there right over the edge... that wasn't the case, it took hr maybe 5 seconds to get to the edge and by tat time Wally was at the bottom of it. She went head over heels flipping her way down this back bowl, she passed her own board which came back and hit her on her in the back of the shoulder and the board kept going while she laid there. This was right along side a lift and nobody on the lift watching made a sound, it was like holy shit she had to be dead, it was like hold your breath and hope she gets up. Sure enough she pops right up like nothing happened and took off running after her board, then you started to hear the laughter from above. It was amazing she didn't end with any injuries worse than some bruises.

This is on Blackcomb Mountain looking at where she fell down the side of Whistler Mountain.

Here's a close up, the line is where she fell, the dot is where her board ended up.

After that no other real good stories. The rest of the trip was smooth sailing, great weather, and good time. The best part was Blackcomb Glacier, it's just a big glacier stuck in a mountain bowl. It refrigerates the snow from the inside so it's always nice and powdery fluffy snow, awesome skiing. I't very low elevation, Breckenridge for example, the peak is just shy of 13,000 ft. Whistler's peak is only 7,000ish which means they get more real world weather conditions, most days it was was rain/snow mix at the base but up top was great. But on the other hand skiing Colorado is exhausting compared to Whistler because of the lack of oxygen that high up and you also have to deal with altitude sickness. But I've been to Copper, Keystone, Vail, Winter Park, Breckenridge, Steamboat, and a couple others that slip my mind at the moment but Whistler blows them all away.

Anyway, onto the point.

Last edited by DBESTGTI; 02-29-2012 at 07:48 PM.
DBESTGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
danielj

Drives: 2013 BMW x135
Awesome pics!!! I'm sure you had the time of your life. I love it up there!

APR Stage I/ Carbonio Stage I&II Intake/ H&R Super Sports & RSB/ 18" Avant Gardes/ OEM LED Tails/ Some cosmetic stuff/ Now I'm done modding - because I traded it in....
danielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
andy_uranium
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 mk6 GTI CW, 2004 Acura TSX
WTF.... is with.... the Falcon. Badass.
2011 CW GTI - DSG, Leather, LED R tails, OEM front lip, color matched side markers, red footwell leds, klii plaid vinyl accents, DG springs, Unibrace XB, UB and RB - OZ supertourismo LMs - Hankook V12 evo
andy_uranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
great pics. that fall sounds brutal!

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Bender
Banned

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
fucking love Whistler and I have had MANY days like this, there:

Quote:
Our skiing started off going horribly wrong, it was raining at the base, mid mountain was fog so thick you came out of it wet and your visability was literally 10-15 feet, it was hard to find were the trail went and where the trees started. We worked our way all the way up Whistler Mountain to the top where skys were cloudy but it was dry and plesent
Glad all are ok.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
DBESTGTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Stage 2 GTI
It was definitely a great time.

The bird wasn't a hawk, I don't know what kind of birds of there but at the bottom of one specific lift there is a small concession stand type place, people buy snacks and stuff. The birds hang out there and if you stick something up in the air, a hand, ski pole, whatever the birds will come over and land on a pole to look around to see who has food in there hand then they will fly over and land in your hand to eat a snack and then they fly off for while eating and then they come right back. It's very cool, it's a sight to see.

The fall was pretty bad, especially since she had to got approval from doctors before coming on this trip because shes had 4 hip surgeries not to long ago. Our wedding was late October, she was one of the brides maids and she had just got to the point where where she could go without crutches most of the time. Until the surgeries was a professional soccer in the WPS, she ran through all the cartilage in her hip joints, the first 2 surgeries (one on each hip) didn't work out how they hoped so they redid it and it's still not good. She snowboarded fine but had a rough time walking through the airport. We were worried she was gonna pull a hip out its socket or something. It was scary till she jumped up and started running.
DBESTGTI is offline   Reply With Quote