GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Off-Topic Discussions > OFF-TOPIC Lounge!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #99
dinkdinker
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2012 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFNYCHASNOHIGHWAYS View Post
IT is not my field of work, computers are just a hobby for me. You said something that didn't jive. I just wanted to point out a flaw in bringing up the depreciated value of a four year old computer.
Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If someone wants to pay higher price for older technology then they probably don't understand what they are buying beyond the fact that it has an Apple logo on it. That's just me. You don't like it? Too bad. I don't care.

Quote:
It didn't make any sense to me. From my novice understanding Moore's Law still stands in the sense that technology is still evolving at a constant exponential clip. Multi-core processors didn't change that.
Moore's Law about processing speed was that it would double every so many years. With dual, quad, hex, so on and so forth that "law" has been made OBSOLETE. Like I said, Moore's Law is a principle. He was one of the founders of Intel. It's not like the law of physics, relativity, etc. It also didn't take into account of x86-64 technology, something AMD invented.

Quote:
People just aren't writing applications that take full advantage of them and that's why the performance aspect of Moore's Law isn't working out the way he thought. If the applications were written to fully utilize multi core processors then the performance would be there to back Moore's Law. That's a human error. The logic is sound. It isn't irrelevant at all. Once the software catches up to the hardware his theory still works.
Yes, applications have actually been using SMP for quite some time and even gone beyond the CPU. Flash/HTML5 takes advantage of GPU processing power. Most web browsers these days are GPU accelerated for 2D imaging.

That's not human error. It just proves that human beings cannot predict the future.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #100
dinkdinker
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grownman View Post
Intel's Ivy Bridge processors are rumored to be released April 8th and Apple has always gotten first dibs at Intel's processors; therefore, it would be safe to assume the new redesign should arrive sometime then (Q2)?
What? Really? The first Core i5/i7 came out in September 8, 2009. Apple didn't start including them in their products until April 2010. That's a full 7 months that Windows based desktops/laptops were using them until Apple finally did.

Proof of Core i5/i7 release: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2832
Proof first Apple MacBooks with Core i5/i7: http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/13/app...-core-i7-mbps/

The 2nd generation Core i5/i7 came out on January 3, 2011. Apple didn't include them until Feb 24, 2011. That was 2 months that Windows based desktops/laptops were using them until Apple finally did.

Proof of 2nd gen Core i5/i7 release: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...i3-2100-tested
Proof of first Apple MacBooks with 2nd gen Core i5/i7: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/24/a...ge-processors/

Be careful how you use the phrase "always" when it doesn't apply. I know you Apple guys typically are not hardware geeks but honestly that's some of the worst misinformed lies I've read yet.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #101
VW-TX
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI AutoBahn, DSG, Candy White
Why should Apple interrupt their cycle just to upgrade the processor on their laptops and have to redesign them? Once a year redesign is good enough and then put the chips in them. LOL
Old 03-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #102
dinkdinker
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW-TX View Post
Why should Apple interrupt their cycle just to upgrade the processor on their laptops and have to redesign them? Once a year redesign is good enough and then put the chips in them. LOL
Redesign? It's just a CPU and chipset change. You aren't reinventing the wheel. Besides, if Apple is so innovative then a "redesign" to actually be in front of technology change instead of being Microsoft's sloppy seconds might make more sense.

I'm going to laugh when Apple finally adds USB 3.0 to their laptops and they will. Want to know why? Ivy Bridge includes USB 3.0 support natively. Nothing uses Thunderbolt. Must be great having an interface that's never used.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #103
fender177
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: White
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkdinker View Post
Besides, if Apple is so innovative then a "redesign" to actually be in front of technology change instead of being Microsoft's sloppy seconds might make more sense.
Ohhhhh you got him good!! Zune. Totally not sloppy seconds. Was definitely out before the iPod. How's that hibernate function working out on your PC? I know I like waiting for my computer to nearly completely boot because I had the audacity to close the lid.

It's cool though, cause Microsoft is makes up for it by automatically trying to connect to your home wifi network as soon as it finally comes back to life. Enterprising individuals haven't created small hardware devices to listen for these attempted connections and say "yup, that's me, you're connected. Please send all of your data my way"

This argument is old and needs to stop. PC guys think apple is the devil, and in some respects they are. Apple guys think PCs suck because of many reasons outside of microsoft's control. Fact of the matter is, it all boils down to personal preference.