GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 05-08-2018, 02:27 AM   #1
VW Steve
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf 2.5
Stalling Again

My Mk6 Golf stalled four times in the fall of 2017, and I took it to my VW dealership; they couldn't find a thing wrong with it, and it never stalled on them. Then the stalling stopped, but it came back; it's stalled thrice on me since late April 2018, the last time in my driveway after I got out to open the garage door to put my car away! What's up with this stalling? And why can't the dealership figure out what's wrong?
VW Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:29 AM   #2
MLue1
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Steve View Post
My Mk6 Golf stalled four times in the fall of 2017, and I took it to my VW dealership; they couldn't find a thing wrong with it, and it never stalled on them. Then the stalling stopped, but it came back; it's stalled thrice on me since late April 2018, the last time in my driveway after I got out to open the garage door to put my car away! What's up with this stalling? And why can't the dealership figure out what's wrong?
There isn't enough info here to help you, you need to describe in detail the conditions of each of your stall events. When you ask for help on a public forum be prepared to describe in extreme detail... .

If this was BMW or Porsche I would go straight to the replacing the Fuel Pump Relay or ignition switch, as those parts have a history of Failure without generating an OBD2 error code. The Fuel Pump Relay (aka DME Relay) as well as the ignition switch contacts get carbon build up on the contacts.

I have NOT heard/seen anything to suggest that this is a fault on the Golf 2.5 but if was happening to me, those are what I'd address first and they are relatively inexpensive parts as well, and can be replaced by DIYer.

Good Luck
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
Wascally Wabbit
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Basically if it doesn't throw a code and/or they can't recreate the issue they're not gonna know. No mechanic would reallly unlsss it's, as stated above, a known issue. I am assuming it's an automatic. There are a lot of things that could cause this problem. Without a code that will be a tough one but it sounds like MLue1 has some ideas at least.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 05-08-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Wascally Wabbit
Touring Car Champion

I came accross this a while back. Addresses MLue1's point above.

https://youtu.be/sgPMlBJQ-0E
Old 05-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
VW Steve
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf 2.5
The only common detail I can offer is that it only stalls while not in motion.
VW Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:56 PM   #6
Wascally Wabbit
Touring Car Champion

Did the dealer do a software update? I would make sure you are on the latest version. If it were me that would be my first step. I think you can even find out the version with a code reader at the local auto parts store) or definitely with vagcom and call the dealer to confirm.

Last edited by Wascally Wabbit; 05-09-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:37 AM   #7
Wascally Wabbit
Touring Car Champion

Apparently this was a pretty common issue with the early MK6 Jetta 2.5L and there were a bunch of causes. Camshaft positioning sensor, fuel pump, electrical, software all potential causes
Old 05-09-2018, 12:47 AM   #8
MLue1
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Lightbulb

I checked with my Dealer contact, they have replaced at least three Fuel Pump Relays at the Dealership on the 2.5 over the winter, they couldn't narrow if they were Golfs or Jettas tho.

If you get the Dealer to do the Troubleshooting of this intermitent problem the Fuel Pump Relay will be one of the first thing they address, so why not do it yourself and replace the Fuel Pump Relay under the dash.

Don't buy it online, use your VIN to get it from the Dealer, that way you'll get the right one and keep the receipt so you don't get double charged if you get the the Dealer to troubleshoot.

Just be happy you don't have the Diesel version, that model has three Fuel Pump Relays.

Other things that can cause the shutdown without an OBD Code:
-Poorly Maintained car with old plugs and coils
-Bad PCV valve
-leaking Oil Dip Stick O-Ring seals (I think this is part of the PCV system)
-Dirty or Faulty Throttle Body

Last edited by MLue1; 05-09-2018 at 01:02 AM. Reason: addimg more
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:16 AM   #9
Wascally Wabbit
Touring Car Champion

If you need the part number call the dealer and ask for a price. Give them the VIN and they will give you the part number as well. Sometimes I get parts from them if it's convenient but you will pay a premium for it.