GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG P0868 fault code

ElBablo

Just posting this up for anyone that runs into this code.

2012 GTI (tuned, K04)

My DSG transmission had been acting up around 46k kms (29k miles). It would have trouble engaging reverse. The gear engages initially, but then releases and tries to engage again; hesitation and clunking sounds. This would happen randomly throughout the week while the car was at operating temperature. There were no warning lights on the dash. One of my friends scanned the car for me and P0868 "Transmission Fluid Pressure Adaptation at Limit" popped up. Based on the description of what was happening and from what I read online, I figured the mechatronics unit needed replacing. I took the car to the dealership for a diagnosis and it turned out it was even worse than I thought. Upon checking the DSG fluid, they found "metal filings due to internal failure". The transmission needed to be replaced. Luckily I am still covered under warranty. Currently waiting on the new gearbox to arrive from the US.

mfractal

Ready to race!
Sounds like your fluid level was low due to a leak maybe which caused premature wear on the gearbox.

Tapatalkin!

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I see you're K04 tuned. Did you experience any clutch-slip prior to this happening? Did you use launch control often? It doesn't sound like the damage you're explaining could have "just happened". There must have been constant wear on the box which lead to this.

ElBablo

Never noticed any clutch slip. Gears 1-6 engagement never felt any different from when I was stock to stage 1, 2, and K04. Only used the launch control when the car was stock. Car was purchased new and I have never noticed any leaks.