Torx T-25
Flat blade screwdriver
Channel Locks
Ratchet
Ratchet Extension
7mm socket
13mm socket
10mm socket

1. Remove hose clamp with channel locks by the throttle body (slide to the right) & Remove T-30 screw

2. Unclip the 2 rubber hoses

3. Undo the T-30 screw

4. Use the flat blade screwdriver to pull up the clip....then pull out of the noisemaker inlet

5. Remove the plumbing from the car

6. Loosen up the upper clamp with the 7mm socket & unclip the boost sensor harness (push back on the tab & then slide down)

7. Undo the T-30 screw

8. Remove the (8) T-25 screws holding the belly pan on

9. Push on the tabs to release it from the car & set aside

10. Loosen up the lower clamp with the 7mm socket

11. Undo the lower T-30 screw

12. From under the car, pull down on the stock pipe to remove it from the throttle body hose & then wiggle it free out of the car.

13. What you removed

14. Comparison picture

15. Swap the boost sensor over to the Tiguan pipe with a T-25 Torx

16. Reinstall in the car…sliding the pipe up from underneath the car. Slide it into the throttle body hose FIRST. Then connect the lower intercooler hose. Makre sure everything is lined up, then tighten the 2 screws on the pipe to the engine block. Then tighten down the stock upper & lower clamps. Reconnect the boost sensor harness.

17. Remove the alternator bracket (if you wish)…since it’s not needed anymore. It’s 2x 13mm bolts.

18. After removal

19. These 2 hoses can be zip tied together, OR I used a OEM clip from a Passat/Tiguan to hold them together (since they don’t have the noisemaker from the factory).

20. Now you have a opening for the inlet of the noisemaker.

21. You can cap it off with a $4 2” cap from Home Depot

22. OR you can use the Jetta firewall insert for a cleaner OEM look

23. Remove the weather stripping (just peels off) & foam inserts on the ends

24. Remove the firewall panel…..lift up on the wiper cowl to see the 10mm bolt on the passenger side & the 10mm nut on the driver’s side. Make sure the wire harness on the back side of the panel is removed from the clips on the back, before you remove it.

25. Here’s the noisemaker. It’s held down by (2) T-30 screws. Remove them & then you can wiggle the noisemaker out from under the cowl

26. Now you’re left with a hole in the firewall plug.

27. Remove the upper clip (2 prongs on each side). Push back on the “plug” & wiggle the harness out of it to fully remove it

28. A comparison of the 2 firewall plugs

29. The new firewall plug & top clip

30. Slide the harness into the new plug & snap it into the firewall. Then snap the top clip onto it.

31. Put the firewall panel back in place. Make sure the wire harness snaps back into the clips on the back of the cowl piece as well. Tighten down the 10mm bolt & the 10mm nut. Install the weather stripping & end foam pieces.

32. Finished product

33. Compared to stock

Last edited:

ThunderPig

Ready to race!
If you want to clean it up even move, take the map sensor between the two parts of the Carbionio and turn/rotate it so the connector faces down. It hides the wiring and connector and cleans it up nicely. Yours would then look exactly like mine! Looks very nice and very well demonstrated.

I think this needs to be pinned!

MK05-HJ09

Ready to race!
Wow, absolutely outstanding DIY, thanks a bunch for sharing! I've heard of guys doing this mod, and I was unsure of it until now that I've been able to really see what the plumbing being removed looks like in comparison to the Tiguan parts. Does anyone know if this improves boost at all? Performance change at all? Much quieter?

SixZeroFour

Ready to race!
I also just completed this mod over the weekend. Great job on the DIY snobrdrdan!

This is easily one of my favorite mods so far. It makes a substantial difference in the amount of noise transferred into the cabin from the engine. I no longer get that deep resonating "intake" type sound when you get caught accelerating at low rpm (I also have the carbonio), just silky smooth turbo/engine noise. I'm not sure how to best describe it but it almost sounds like the 4cyl was replaced with a V6... the engine doesn't sound like its working as hard to produce the power.

One of the biggest highlights about this mod for me was that the "rocks in a can" noise as I shift from 1-2 is notably quieter than before.

MK05 - HJ09: In theory you should pickup some throttle response but I did not notice anything substantial.

Highly recommended mod :thumbup:

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Awesome DIY, may have to tackle this whenever I end up getting a new intake. Definitely cleans up the engine bay, and the extra noise can be annoying at times (it's one thing to have real engine/exhaust noise, another to have "fake" noise!)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If you want to clean it up even move, take the map sensor between the two parts of the Carbionio and turn/rotate it so the connector faces down. It hides the wiring and connector and cleans it up nicely. Yours would then look exactly like mine! Looks very nice and very well demonstrated.

I think this needs to be pinned!

Never thought about that, but a good idea none the less

The only thing is that it might screw up the MAF readings possibly? I mean it's still metering the air, except upside down, right?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
As for power increases.....can't be sure about, but it DEFINITELY improves throttle response (due to less boost plumbing & more boost going to the engine instead of to the noisemaker)

Having had a MKV....the noisemaker wasn't as loud compared to the MKVI.
On the MKVI, it was horribly loud & (to me) made a Sea Doo/Jet Ski like sound....it sounded awful.

Now you can actually hear the turbo & engine, which sounds waaay better.

I always meant to do a write up for the MKV install, but never did....so I finally did it for this car and posted it up for the MKV TSI guys too, lol. It's all the same

skully

Ready to race!
your car looked great at motorstadt. I was tempted to swap/borrow your intake with my stock setup and see if you would notice :cool:

I'll be doing the noise pipe delete in the near future.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
what exactly does the Tiguan pipe do compared to whats under the hood currently?

And I am one of those that like that rumble at lower RPMs lol so if it gives me more rumble, I'm down.

finklejag

Ready to race!
what exactly does the Tiguan pipe do compared to whats under the hood currently?

And I am one of those that like that rumble at lower RPMs lol so if it gives me more rumble, I'm down.

The Tiguan pipe doesn't have the extra outlet for the noise maker tubing.

Great DIY! Do you have the OEM part umner for that small hose clip?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
your car looked great at motorstadt. I was tempted to swap/borrow your intake with my stock setup and see if you would notice :cool:

I'll be doing the noise pipe delete in the near future.

LOL

I PM'd you about Motorstadt like an hour ago, ironically