GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Review:KMD Tuning Clutch kit

Shia8j

Go Kart Champion
Disclaimer: I am only providing my feedback to help people decide if they feel they would benefit from what I have installed and tested in my own car. (thanks HYDE :thumbsup:)

FIGURED IT WAS ONLY RITE SINCE A FEW PEOPLE WERE ASKING ME & I BELIEVE IM THE FIRST TO HAVE THIS KIT INSTALLED 6/2

Specs for the setup:
Preliminary KMD Tuning FSI/TSI Clutch Kit Details:
-Custom full ceramic clutch disc maintains the OEM factory thickness which is thicker (potentially longer life) than the TDI clutch disc used in some of the current clutch kits options
-Custom full ceramic clutch disc has 8 pads on each side and has the proper friction material height to match the height of the Audi TT-RS pressure plate surface so there is no overhang like the TDI clutch disc used in some of the current clutch kits options (TDI clutch disc diameter is slightly larger than the Audi TT-RS pressure plate diameter)
-Audi TT-RS pressure plate modified to work with the OEM factory thickness of the custom full ceramic clutch disc as standard aftermarket drop in discs will not work with the OEM thickness of the Audi TT-RS pressure plate
-Includes single piece throw out bearing (except for MK7 which uses different version) / slave cylinder with TOB and PP bolts
-Optional Dual Mass Flywheel available = $585.99

Recently I began to feel some clutch slip in my Stage II+ R and figured I should start digging up some clutch ideas, rather then take the chance of complete failure or limited drivability. I had been debating between stage 2 or stage 3 in case at some point I decide to upgrade the turbo. A few options I was considering were BFI (stage 2 or 3) kit, SB (2/3), & the KMD kit that was set to be released.

Coming from my last car which was e36 m3 stage 2 HKS Supercharger (402 RWHP) I was moderately familiar with aftermarket clutch setups along with the constant worry of chatter & daily drivability. After my last car I knew I wanted something with a close to stock pedal feel since my last car got pretty stiff after the AA clutch was installed (luckily I never had to deal with chatter with that setup).

Finally after speaking to several people on the forums and in the community about their preferences I decided to roll with the KMD kit which has OEM components (TTRS pressure plate & OEM DMF===NO CHATTER). The selling point was the kit "should" give me a very similar to OEM pedal feel.

Before the install I was advised to replace my FW (OEM) since my car had 40K+ miles on it & while I was at it I had them replace the clutch line with their in house KMD SS line.

6/2 - PICKED UP THE CAR (0-50 miles) : First feel was as expected stiff feeling unbroken in new clutch it felt similar to my m3 clutch (post break in). As with any clutch theres a little getting used to the new pedal feel in addition to the actual break in period. I felt especially with the first 50 miles the clutch felt very grabby to the point of being a little touchy (some of that was me used to non OEM setup again ;) )

100 miles- by this point the clutch was still a bit stiff/ grabby but was beginning to lighten/ loosen up.

By the 200-300 mile range the clutch had really begun to relax and feel a bit more like an OEM setup and less like an aftermarket stiff kit.

Today I broke 500 miles and the clutch has really broken in. Nice nice nice - just what I was going for its a touch stiffer then OEM but completely reasonable compared to other kits I have driven (my M3 AA Kit & several of the mk6 SB stage 3 kits). So far I'm very pleased by the entire setup very clean and calm pedal feel. One of my main goals was DDrivability and thats exactly what I got, while still having a kit that could hold 530ft/lbs of torque (as quoted by KMD :thumb up:) which leaves the door open for potentially a stage 3 kit with just about OEM pedal feel = exactly what I was going for.

As for the breaking in period there a 500-1000 mile range so I will continue to report and share my experience but so far I couldn't be happier with my choice...

Thanks again to the Frank@ KMD ( he went above and beyond to answer all my questions & get me squared away) & crew at KMD they did good work and were very neat (like many of you I get crazy when shops don't return my car to me as clean as it was when I leave it there). :clap:

UPDATE:
The car now has over 1,100 (I followed break in period up to 1000 miles) miles on the clutch finally had a chance to punch it- as expected just as good as I imagined holds power without hesitation and allows for clear shifts. still very happy with the purchase. The setup has loosened up nicely and I have of course gotten very used to it.

update 2.0 (1/29/16):
UPDATE, My TOB ended up going bad so long story short the I've now broken in this clutch twice as I just finished the second break in process.

I will also be putting this clutch to the test by going stage 3 shortly and am very interested to see how it performs then.

Other threads posted about the kit:

- Hyde's = http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91799
- KMD Sale thread= http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92580

Last edited:

littleturbodub

Ready to race!
Great review thus far. Thanks for sharing. I just updated my stage 2 GIAC tune to the 'clutchbuster' tune and now my clutch is only slipping slightly in 6th

I'm considering this clutch, so we'll see what happens. I'm sub'd so let's see what happens

Shia8j

Go Kart Champion
Great review thus far. Thanks for sharing. I just updated my stage 2 GIAC tune to the 'clutchbuster' tune and now my clutch is only slipping slightly in 6th

I'm considering this clutch, so we'll see what happens. I'm sub'd so let's see what happens

Thank you, I will be updating soon

So the clutch kit does not come with the flywheel?

Correct the kit doesn't come with a flywheel.

Shax

Passed Driver's Ed
Well that puts a bit of a damper on my plans haha. For me to get this kit and a new flywheel I will be looking at close to $2700 CAD with installation. Maybe I can live with the chatter / pedal feel for nearly half the price.

Shia8j

Go Kart Champion
Well that puts a bit of a damper on my plans haha. For me to get this kit and a new flywheel I will be looking at close to $2700 CAD with installation. Maybe I can live with the chatter / pedal feel for nearly half the price.

Yeah a good amount of cash either way but depending on the condition of the FW they may be able to reuse it. My car has 40+ on the clock so I decided to go all new

The pedal feel is a funny thing... How much of it is the driver getting used to it vs how much is it actually softening up a bit. I thought my pedal had softened to OEM levels with the RSR kit and realized that I was probably just used to it after feeling oem again.

Good point- I tried my best to feel out what was me and what was the clutch ( never going to get this rite). But what I do know is its softer then my m3 & its softer then the mk6 SB stage 3 variations I've driven. Overall completely tolerable pedal feel for what I was looking for.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
The pedal feel is a funny thing... How much of it is the driver getting used to it vs how much is it actually softening up a bit. I thought my pedal had softened to OEM levels with the RSR kit and realized that I was probably just used to it after feeling oem again.

I dunno. I have an RSR and it feels stock.

--Matt

Icer Jo

Ready to race!
Thanks for the Review! I'm definitely putting this one on my to get list as a pre stage 2 and beyond mod!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yeah clutches are tough to review like that. Especially those with self-adjusting pressure plates. Especially with DMFWs. That said, I know my TTRS PP felt real tough in the beginning and took a good 1000miles to soften up. I also drove a stock mk6 recently and indeed the TTRS PP is stiffer after adjustment, but not as stiff as it was after installation.

I'd really like to line up this kmd kit with the rsr to get a feel for the smoothness of engagement.

Shia8j

Go Kart Champion
Yeah clutches are tough to review like that. Especially those with self-adjusting pressure plates. Especially with DMFWs. That said, I know my TTRS PP felt real tough in the beginning and took a good 1000miles to soften up. I also drove a stock mk6 recently and indeed the TTRS PP is stiffer after adjustment, but not as stiff as it was after installation.

I'd really like to line up this kmd kit with the rsr to get a feel for the smoothness of engagement.

Agree very much a person to person type of review process. I now have over 1000 miles on the kit and finally got a chance to get after it, Feels real good not stiff at all.

BUMP Updated from 500 miles- 1,100 fully broken in and feeling great

Frank@KMD1

Go Kart Champion
Agree very much a person to person type of review process. I now have over 1000 miles on the kit and finally got a chance to get after it, Feels real good not stiff at all.

BUMP Updated from 500 miles- 1,100 fully broken in and feeling great

Nice John!

Happy you're happy :thumbsup: