GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a Golf R

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone, picked up a CPO 2013 Golf R 4 Door a few days ago.

Coming from a near FBO G37S and before that a slightly modded MkV GTI.

Loving the R so far. Already have an intake, cam follower, smoked side indicators on the way and an appointment to go Unitronic Stage 1 next week.

Just wanted to introduce myself.

MKJBM05

Passed Driver's Ed
Welcome, you got great taste in vehicles. Golf R is a great and fun platform. I've had mine for several years and I must say I've had a blast and still am :)

Wish you and the R all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys. Looking forward to the next couple years with it.

Last edited:

Kansas Slim

Please excuse my ignorance, but with regard to your Infinity, what does FBO mean? I'm also in a '13 R car, and I love it, but I've been on the VW wagon for a while. I'm curious why you are switching back to VW from what I imagine was a very fine car in your G37.

The TDI in my profile was involuntarily retired by a white Suburban.

Last edited:

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Please excuse my ignorance, but with regard to your Infinity, what does FBO mean? I'm also in a '13 R car, and I love it, but I've been on the VW wagon for a while. I'm curious why you are switching back to VW from what I imagine was a very fine car in your G37.

FBO = Full Bolt On

It's the term the kids are using these days.

I don't get it either. All my mods bolt on. My Garett turbo bolted right on.

Kansas Slim

Thanks for enlightening me. Google told me it was "Facebook Official" nonsense. Of course, in the aviation world, it's where you pay for fuel & get coffee!

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed

Cadubya was right FBO is full bolt on.

I made the switch because, while I absolutely LOVED the G37S, all its power was from 4500-8200 RPM. It pulled crazy hard up top but it was lacking in low end torque. In the mountains and canyons that was amazing, being able to keep it in 2nd and 3rd gear and keep the revs real high was so much fun. The exhaust note was intoxicating. But, around town, stop light to stop light was rather boring. It took effort to beat someone off the line if you needed to get in their lane for a turn because of that lack of low end power.

The clutch in the G and Nissan Z cars is also horrendous. It made me feel like I didn't know how to drive a manual even though Ive been driving one for the past 5 years.

I bought the R because it was 5 years newer, comparable interior quality, comparable handling (I'd wager to say the R wins this because of the AWD and being able to put power down faster out of corners), and the low end power makes it much more fun around town.

FBO = Full Bolt On

It's the term the kids are using these days.

I don't get it either. All my mods bolt on. My Garett turbo bolted right on.

I mean, I've always gathered that full bolt ons means anything that isn't a major modification like adding a turbo or a supercharger. But technically they do bolt on.

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
Got a 3in catback built for the car the other day. Also went Stage 1, swapped on some smoked bumper lights and installed a P-Flo intake.

Swapped the cam follower as well yesterday. Original one looked fine, little bit of wear but overall looked good. Swapped in the new one and all is well!

JLaw1443

Passed Driver's Ed
Beautiful R. That may just be the next car I get, mainly for the AWD in this beautiful state of ours. :thumbsup:

clownish

just clowning around
I jumped to my gti from a fx35. The only thing i really miss is the amazing exhaust note from the vq motors.

Makes me want to get another one

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
I jumped to my gti from a fx35. The only thing i really miss is the amazing exhaust note from the vq motors.

Makes me want to get another one

Heh, I was cross shopping an FX50S! Insurance was absurd on it though compared to the R.

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
Making progress on the mods. Installed some OEM Euro tails tonight.