GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with Ebay DRL LED Fog Light Cover Install and Wiring as Fog Lights

Stamkos91

I recently purchase a set of fog light covers that include LEDs that replace the stock DRLs from ebay. I have been researching how I might be able to install these correctly and if there is a way to wire them into the car in place of the fog lights. My goal is to keep everything stock except for having these be new lights run and function as if they were the fog lights. I have a euro switch ordered as well and am able to code anything that needs to be to get this working. Based on if I can get these to work, I am going to have these come on with the existing DRLs or just turn on with the existing DRLs as an addition to them.

Here is the link to the exact set of lights I bought from ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-10-14-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

If anyone has an idea as to how I could get this to work, please let me know.

mattyice703

Well that's flat out interesting. So you want these to replace the function of the fog lights coming on or just want them to come on in place of the current halogen DRLs?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
If you want these to function as DRL properly like the halogen ones wire them to PIN 4 of the headlight plug and earth the other wire to body, this way you will be able to adjust the brightness with VCDS and they will turn on/off with the headlights or ignition like the factory set up! Wether you splice pin 4 and maintain the function of the halogen DRLs or de pin it and wire just the LEDs is personal choice, this would leave the figs in touched and functioning normally as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
You may have to add error cancellers to overcome a bulb out error though!

Stamkos91

Well that's flat out interesting. So you want these to replace the function of the fog lights coming on or just want them to come on in place of the current halogen DRLs?

To replace the function of the fog lights coming on.

Stamkos91

If you want these to function as DRL properly like the halogen ones wire them to PIN 4 of the headlight plug and earth the other wire to body, this way you will be able to adjust the brightness with VCDS and they will turn on/off with the headlights or ignition like the factory set up! Wether you splice pin 4 and maintain the function of the halogen DRLs or de pin it and wire just the LEDs is personal choice, this would leave the figs in touched and functioning normally as well.

Okay so where would the headlight plug be located? I'm assuming you mean the plug that connects to the bulb in the stock headlights, but dont want to assume anything before I try doing it. And if I were to splice the wire in, would i have to get LED bulbs for the DRLs or can I run the stock halogens and the new LEDs i would be wiring in? Also, would you happen to know how this could be done with the fog lights rather than as a stock DRL replacement? I'm trying to use them as additional lighting that can be turned on as the fogs would normally be.

Last edited:

mattyice703

Okay so where would the headlight plug be located? I'm assuming you mean the plug that connects to the bulb in the stock headlights, but dont want to assume anything before I try doing it. And if I were to splice the wire in, would i have to get LED bulbs for the DRLs or can I run the stock halogens and the new LEDs i would be wiring in? Also, would you happen to know how this could be done with the fog lights rather than as a stock DRL replacement? I'm trying to use them as additional lighting that can be turned on as the fogs would normally be.

If that's the case, why not just buy these H8 connectors from Amazon and use that power to turn on the new lights. That way they will come on when you pull the fog light switch out. As mentioned, you will get an error light that will need to be coded to get rid of, or just ignore it.

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Adap...pID=41HghxRP77L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
If that's the case, why not just buy these H8 connectors from Amazon and use that power to turn on the new lights. That way they will come on when you pull the fog light switch out. As mentioned, you will get an error light that will need to be coded to get rid of, or just ignore it.

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Adap...pID=41HghxRP77L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

You can’t code out the error on the front fogs! You need to add a resistor, you can buy them pre wired for the gti fogs.

Stamkos91

I actually bought those already and was going to try doing this. I just didn't know if it would work and what kind of connectors the lights come with themselves.

Stamkos91

You can’t code out the error on the front fogs! You need to add a resistor, you can buy them pre wired for the gti fogs.

Why cant you code out the error? Wouldn't it be exactly like buying new LED fog bulbs and coding them? Also what resistor are you talking about and where could i find it to buy it?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Why cant you code out the error? Wouldn't it be exactly like buying new LED fog bulbs and coding them? Also what resistor are you talking about and where could i find it to buy it?

You can’t code them out because there is no option to do so! The only way would be to find a way of disabling ALL cold diagnostics on ALL the cars bulbs (good luck with that!!) or messing with the eeprom settings with vag can pro!, hence the resistors, I’ll find a link to a set as soon as I can but just about to drive so can’t just now!

Stamkos91

You can’t code them out because there is no option to do so! The only way would be to find a way of disabling ALL cold diagnostics on ALL the cars bulbs (good luck with that!!) or messing with the eeprom settings with vag can pro!, hence the resistors, I’ll find a link to a set as soon as I can but just about to drive so can’t just now!

Perfect. Thanks man. I'll have to order them as soon as your able to send the link.

Stamkos91

Stamkos91

These are not the ones I had but that’s probably not a bad thing as my ones used to get F#@ing hot so mounting location options may be limited,

https://www.amazon.com/Calais-Resistor-warning-Canceller-Decoder/dp/B01JYEFM8C

I ended up ordering a different one because of the time it would have taken to get the one you sent.

This is the like to the one I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WMYL6N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1