GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

08.5-11 ESP Defeat

zrickety

The Fixer
for $100 I'll do it!

Is there a revision known to work
In the first post...Part No 1K0 907 379 AD, AE, AM, BC, confirmed working.
The AD pump may be from 09 if I recall, may want to avoid that one as they had ABS issues. I would check ebay.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Has there been any updates on the BG coding? I tried all variations today, it shows up on the MFD as disabled but still engages when trying to get the tail to wag a bit...

I have a BG pump from a mk6 gti installed in my 09. Couldnt get it to work on my car.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Well, after some more digging it appears a polish fellow has figured this out?! He has a youtube video showing a 2 stage ESP with full disable by holding the button for 3 sec. I asked him how he did it using google translate and this is his response,
'Hi, I changed the pump 1K0907379AD byte 16 bit 3, the value of 34 changed to 3C, each pump is not how it works. Pumps AH and AJ have here another function...'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KT5Ey-hY7I

This appears to be working on 09, 10, 11 GTI. Please note that pump versions vary and your results may vary.
Part No 1K0 907 379 AD, AE, AM, BC, confirmed working.
AJ pump use 29 for coding.
Pumps AH, BE not supported.
BG accepts coding but ESP still active.
Component: ESP MK60EC1
I tap the ESP off and it blinks, or I hold for 3 sec and it's solid. ESP OFF!
For some cars, this appears to be a 1 stage defeat.

TLDR- 1 or 2 stage ESP off by manually changing ABS coding byte 16 to 3C (or 3D, 38, 39 depending on hill assist and indirect TPMS options).

38 = Hill Hold off, TPMS off
39 = Hill Hold on, TPMS off
3C = Hill Hold off, TPMS on
3D = Hill Hold on, TPMS on
Subscribing.

Thanks ZRickety, will be doing this to our '10 Golf 2.5. To add another wrinkle, on the stripped down base Golf 2.5 there is no MID; so in the past when we hold the ESP down to turn ESP off it only shows the yellow Stability Light on the dash, only way to confirm is to go out and try it.

zrickety

The Fixer
Subscribing.
Thanks ZRickety, will be doing this to our '10 Golf 2.5.
Cool, let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Base Golf 2.5 with AD Pump

OK made a ton of head way tonight on this project:happyanim:, very easy to do using my OBD Eleven Tool. For the AD pump I changed the Hex Data for Byte 16 from factory 30 to 38, as per Post 256. OBD Eleven, automatically changed Bit 3 to 1 from 0 (to enable 2-stage ESP) when the Hex Data changes from 30 to 38. The opposite is true as well, if you turn off Bit 3 of Byte 16 the Hex Data changes from 38 to 30. This correlates perfectly with the Bit Info Table that 1 6 D posted in Post 151. See Table below.

Bit Info Table from Post 151
bit 0 Hill Hold Control
bit 1 TPMS in cluster (some cars have it activated with byte 17 bit 2)
bit 2 TPMS active
bit 3 2-stage ESP (not AH/AJ/BH/BJ/BK/BL pumps)
bit 4
bit 5 ADR? (when unchecked it gives error 02186 - Engine <-> ADR Interface )
bit 6
bit 7 DSG? (many cars with DSG have it checked)

Seems to be working, if I hold the ESP button down, I can either get the Stability Light to Flash or Stay on Steady; the big problem is that I have no MID to tell me what mode is enabled.

What I expect to happen, I briefly press the ESP Off Button and the Stability Light on the dash blinks/flashes = Traction Control Off, or hold it for 3 sec and the Stability Light stays solid/steady = ESP OFF!

I guess they can add the AD pump to the list, for the AD pump with Factory Hex Data 30, it maybe as simple as changing Bit 3 to 1 (on), that will change the Hex Data to 38.

The Golf is Blocked in tonight, plus it's freezing rain outside right now and freezing rain and Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 don't work so good :laugh: for this test or depending on how you look at it, maybe too good :bonk:,...so will have to road test tomorrow or day after.

Thanks again ZRickety, it seems to be working out better than I expected.... well at least the ESP button.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Sounds promising. Typically the button tap is blinking with traction off, and holding it is a solid light with ESP off. The AD pump is in the first post. They were part of a recall for the 09 cars here in the States, they have been known to randomly fault.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds promising. Typically the button tap is blinking with traction off, and holding it is a solid light with ESP off. The AD pump is in the first post. They were part of a recall for the 09 cars here in the States, they have been known to randomly fault.
Thanks, Yup it works :thumbsup: as described.

I got the letter from VW regarding the Extended Warranty Coverage, if they replace the AD Pump; I will just re-Code based on the model of the Pump. Hopefully I get one that's not a pain in the a$$.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion

Happened to my 09 within months of owning the car. I ended up replacing it with a used MK6 GTI pump and module off ebay for like $150. I tried submitting a claim to VW after the recall came out and was denied of course. Sucks the new pump model I put in wouldnt let me do the ESP defeat, but I was able to enable XDS that came on all MK6 GTIs.

AROVRS

Well Sorry to bump an old thread but some of us still have these old machines! I have a Cupra Leon MK2 2011 with 379 BE pump, was this one ever defeated?

I tried 3D in byte 16 it accepted and says ESP restricted but still kicks in and over heats the brakes after a session of spirited driving in the mountains. Tried cars are weapons fix but not accepted on the BE pump version.

Hope the community can help!

zrickety

The Fixer
Well Sorry to bump an old thread but some of us still have these old machines! I have a Cupra Leon MK2 2011 with 379 BE pump, was this one ever defeated?

I tried 3D in byte 16 it accepted and says ESP restricted but still kicks in and over heats the brakes after a session of spirited driving in the mountains. Tried cars are weapons fix but not accepted on the BE pump version.

Hope the community can help!
You'll want to buy a used pump on ebay or the like. Look for AD, AE, AM, BC part numbers, those appear to be defeated.
Conversely, I've read you can disable the steering angle sensor, this will disable ESP but keep the ABS.

zrickety

The Fixer
Just scored an AJ pump for my 09... deals are out there.

1646837813417.png

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I'm bored and poking around in OBDeleven and it looks like all you have to do to enable this change is to select the check box for 'Bit 3' within 'Byte 16'. For my specific car with hill hold control, TPMS Reset, TPMS, Bit 6, and Airbag communication unchecked but with 'Bit 4 - 5' both checked I get a value of 38.

I guess they updated OBDeleven at some point to add this feature because last I remembered when I thought about doing this all I could do was adjust the hex value. I may or may not push the change to see what happens, but I'm not feeling particularly motivated to do so as I find that ESP doesn't engage much due to my driving style. The system does tend to freak out going around highly banked curves though... I don't think it's costing me anything in terms of lap times but it is mildly annoying. Though on balance ESP has saved me more than it's gotten in my way so there's that.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I went ahead and pushed the change and oddly... now the MFD doesn't hold the notification that I turned off traction control (or anything) for longer than a split second, not long enough to read. I undid the change and it's still stuck that way. Not that it matters much I guess. I was hoping it would say something like "ESP OFF" though, maybe to match the button in the car that says that I can switch off the ESP (that never worked).

Now when I hold the button the light goes solid. I'll find a safe curve to test it out around sometime in the next day or two.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Had to run an errand...

The MFD displays the messages now. Press "TCS OFF", hold "ESP OFF."

I guess a drawback to sticky tires and a modified suspension is that I don't feel terribly comfortable pushing my car over the edge when I'm not on a track. I went to a low traffic round-a-bout near my house, which is off camber (not ideal), and with ECS on I could feel a faint tugging of the inside rear when I pushed. When I switched off ESP that sensation went away... so I think it's off. There's a decent 360 degree, banked, descending radius freeway on-ramp fairly close where I can easily and safely push the car to ESP engagement... I guess that'll be when I find out for sure.