GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Volkswagen reveals the refreshed 2018 Golf

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
"rumors". Pretty sure the VR6 is as dead as dead gets. If you're looking at models under the VAG banner like the TT-RS and think they'll swap it over to the Golf R platform, you'd be looking at a fairly long stretch of unlikeliness. VW likes to keep their cars practical and affordable, that means in MPGs and insurance rates, regardless of trim lines, Phaeton withholding. That said, we'll probably never see much else in the lines of a 6-cyl. V8 for the Phaeton if that ever rears its ugly head ever again in the states maybe.

I wish we could get the 2.5T from the TT-RS in a golf R, that'd make it almost bearable to want to own.

I'd take that too! What I read was a 2.5 vr6 was a possibility but I don't disagree that it's a long shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Meh, only thing I liked about the VR6 was the sound. Mine was a POS and I don't want one ever again lol

Uberryan

Banned
A 2.5L VR6 would be nerf'd as hell. It'd need a turbo to be a competitor for the GTI.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
A 2.5L VR6 would be nerf'd as hell. It'd need a turbo to be a competitor for the GTI.

I should have stated that, it is supposed to be turbo charged and could be a 3.0 also. I got this little nugget from Car and Driver. Not like that makes it true or anything but still a source I consider reputable. So I consider it plausible.

"VW could resurrect the VR-6 and bring it in a turbocharged version with 2.5 or 3.0 liters of displacement. The range-topper will be a Golf R with all-wheel drive and some 400 horsepower." Taken from Car and Driver

Full article here: http://blog.caranddriver.com/2020-vw-golf-mark-8-what-to-expect/

Uberryan

Banned
I should have stated that, it is supposed to be turbo charged and could be a 3.0 also. I got this little nugget from Car and Driver. Not like that makes it true or anything but still a source I consider reputable. So I consider it plausible.

"VW could resurrect the VR-6 and bring it in a turbocharged version with 2.5 or 3.0 liters of displacement. The range-topper will be a Golf R with all-wheel drive and some 400 horsepower." Taken from Car and Driver

Full article here: http://blog.caranddriver.com/2020-vw-golf-mark-8-what-to-expect/

I'd be a buyer for the 3.0L but not if it's over $42k.