GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Using a VCDS?

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I am borrowing my brothers VCDS and finally have a laptop to use in the car. I just don't know what I am doing with it. I want to see if I can find any problems that may be causing my P0302 code that likes to pop up (among the occasional other codes). It hasn't come around in a month or two, but every time I am in the clear it comes back.

Am I just looking to read codes, or can I do data logging with actual driving/pulls?

I'm at a loss and would appreciate any help. I am looking on the Ross-Tech site at the manual, but I don't know if it's simple and I am overthinking it or not. I really don't want to click some wrong buttons/erase any code and mess my car up.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
It's pretty easy. Just take it slow and play around with it. Follow the guides.

If you're gonna do stuff like this - http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=574363&postcount=40
Make sure you always save the original code, use notepad or wordpad if you have to and paste your original code into it. That way if you do screw something up you can restore it to what it was originally. A lot of those tweaks have picture guides, so follow those and do what I said first and you'll be fine.

You can pull up engine codes, you won't do anything any harm by clearing anything. This one is pretty self explanatory once you get in there.

Data logging isn't too difficult, but it is kind of a pain trying to do it alone. APR has a good guide on how to do it - https://www.goapr.com/support/datalogging.php

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
Incredibly helpful! Thank you. For now I will start slow and just do the code checks and data logging. I'll leave tweaking options for later.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
So I simply can't get the thing to work. I've tried installing the software and uninstalling it multiple times. I keep getting "Ross- Tech USB Interface Not Found! USB Library Version: 03.02.07 Interface: Not Found!"

It's a Micro-CAN and was bought directly from Ross-Tech. So I am unsure of what the issue is. Any suggestions?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
You had the USB end plugged in for that test, right?

For the first time, you have to open the software with the cable plugged in & it'll "find" the cable on the USB port that you're using....then you have to click SAVE.

THEN you can start using it

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I had the USB end plugged in. I also tried with it plugged into the car and the laptop. However I did this after opening the software. I plugged it in before the software opened (and also after a laptop update) and it worked after two tries. So that seems to have fixed it! I am off to go get some logs and will report back later.

Thank you snobrdrdan!

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I followed the APR suggestions (for Round 1 Boost/Fueling Diagnostics) and don't think I am doing this right. I only got some basic info. I did 3 pulls in 3rd gear from 1,500 RPM to fuel cutoff (couldn't risk doing 4th gear pulls to redline). I thought I was logging to get a bunch of numbers/values coinciding with the RPM as the pull progresses, but that's clearly not what I did. Any suggestions from here?

Saturday,21,October,2017,12:55:41:38134
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 17.8.0.1 (x64)
Data version: 20170721 DS276.2
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: -----------------(edited) License Plate:

Address 01: Engine (1K0 907 115 AL)

12:55:39
2200 /min Engine Speed (G28)
22 Misfire Counter
0.95 Lambda Control Bank 1 (actual)
0.0 % Accel. Pedal Pos. Sensor 1 (G79)
7.1 % Throttle Valve Angle
0.00 ms Injection Timing
40.00 bar Fuel Rail Pressure (spec.)
149.96 bar Fuel Rail Pressure (actual)
15.8 % Engine Load (actual Value)
2.0 % Boost Pressure Control (N75)
310.0 mbar Boost Pressure (specified)
1020.0 mbar Boost Pressure (actual)

Edit: Found this over on the MKV part of the site http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28417 and think that will help get the correct logs.

Last edited:

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
Unfortunately I do not see the same arrangement come up after running Meas. Blocks - 06 but rather a mess of things. Possibly due to using OpenOffice Spreadsheet vs Excel (which I do not have).

CEL is back P0300 and P0302

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
whens the last time you changed your plugs and coils?

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I don't remember exactly, but I would say under 10k ago. I had at least the P0302 when I got new plugs and coils though. I even bought another coil for the 2nd cylinder and tried another set of plugs at that time. The code still popped up.

When my intake manifold was replaced the dealership said my valves did not need to be cleaned. I believe it was shortly after and I still had the P0302 code. Either the dealership lied because they wanted me to pay out of pocket for a carbon cleaning on a separate occasion, or it wasn't bad yet. That makes me think the carbon buildup isn't the issue and that something like an injector is having trouble.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
From what I've read too the valve springs should be fine and don't show issues until K04 swap or bigger. I still wonder if that's a possibility, albeit a rare one, on just Stage 2.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
Idle seems a bit more rough, especially now that the temperatures are dropping. I hope I can figure this out before the problem has persisted for over 1 year. I have no new leads :(

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Idle seems a bit more rough, especially now that the temperatures are dropping. I hope I can figure this out before the problem has persisted for over 1 year. I have no new leads :(
maybe double check your spark plug gaps? If they are to wide/close they could be causing issues.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
maybe double check your spark plug gaps? If they are to wide/close they could be causing issues.

I'll pull them all this weekend and see where they are at. I believe I have tried both 0.028 and 0.032 gaps, but I haven't checked in a while. I might as well order some new plugs too on the off chance I had 2 sets of bad plugs. My car is running a little rough at idle and under light throttle it seems to hesitate.

There is an APR shop about an hour away from where I live. I just can't get to them between work and school. I'm just hoping I can figure this out instead of paying a bunch of money for them to diagnose it. At that point I'd probably just have them do a carbon cleaning and test my injectors (if that's something they can do).

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
Never was able to get the VCDS to import logs correctly. Ended up going to a VW dealership to have it diagnosed. They're pretty confident that my valve springs are the issue (valve float). They referred me to a local APR dealer to get the work done there. VW also quoted $1,100 for a carbon cleaning, so I'll just do it at the APR dealer once they run their diagnostics.

Cylinder 2 is main misfire, cylinder 3 also misfires. If anyone is looking for the solution once the car has work done to it (in 1-2 weeks hopefully) I'll either update here or in my journal (link in sig).