GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

XGC75 - One for the Road

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Wow, that was a tough lesson to learn. Always check the new plug against an old one you have removed before proceeding. Glad you perseverance paid off.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Turns out I'm the most powerful sport compact car in SW MI

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Sorry did I need to specify the most powerful running compact car in SW MI?

maisonvi

Ready to race!
Sorry did I need to specify the most powerful running compact car in SW MI?

Hey, I'm running just fine. Was out to gingerman Wednesday. She is up in the air right now but that's just to swap tires/brakes back and maybe replace that serp belt I some how 1/2 shredded.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Been a while

:wosschilder980::wosschilder980::wosschilder980:

Update on the car I suppose:

It runs decent. 135k miles. I still haven't gotten that sheared bolt in the subframe replaced. I've tried to remove the upper FSB bracket a number of times with no luck - seems to be fused to the lower bracket. It's looking like I'll have to drop the subframe just to replace the bolt, which is seems proportionally too difficult for such a dumb problem. Probably why I haven't done it yet.

I'm also getting occasional hesitation from the engine when I hit bumps, paired to P0100, P0102 and P1297 codes that self-clear after a day. My guess is more harness issues, probably at my harness extension for the MAF sensor. NBD, just need to inspect and replace the fast-on. Worst case it's a new MAF, but the inconsistency of the issue, paired to the behavior on big bumps, leads me to believe it's not a sensor component issue directly.

About modding: The budget is pretty good, but the motivation isn't there for bigger mods. I really like where the car is. I don't see the need to spend a lot of money on it these days. :iono: After tires (thinking of PZero PZ4s), I want to get the Android Auto head unit for sure. Then maybe I'll go for the DG SS kit. I could probably do an IC or similar if I find a great deal on an APR or IE SMIC.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Gotta get these guys to this Dyno event then. It's super cheap, $30 donation to child's cancer research gets you 3 pulls. Can't say I love the Dyno techs but still well worth the cost.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Getting the car up on a lift today. Dropping the subfame just to fix a sheared sway bar bracket bolt.

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Nice car!
I have a question regarding S3 Ic. Back in 2011 ish, I was able to source the S3 IC from many different discounted VW/Audi shops online. However, they seems to be discountinued.
Also, heard that mk6 r ic would work on the GTI models, do you know if they would fit?
My old mkv had the S3 IC but I sold the car to get a newer mkv and thinking about upgrading the IC.
Thanks

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Nice car!
I have a question regarding S3 Ic. Back in 2011 ish, I was able to source the S3 IC from many different discounted VW/Audi shops online. However, they seems to be discountinued.
Also, heard that mk6 r ic would work on the GTI models, do you know if they would fit?
My old mkv had the S3 IC but I sold the car to get a newer mkv and thinking about upgrading the IC.
Thanks

Actually the core is the same between the R and S3 IC so it really doesn't matter which you get. The R ic has plastic end caps, which is actually pretty nice for w/m if you go that route. I like it, it's a little short on flow for the K04 imo. But I'd buy it again for the k03 without hesitation.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Lot of work done in the past few days. First, got the car up on a lift to fix that sheared front sway bar bracket bolt. Go figure - the first thing I did is shear the other side trying to torque it out. VW needs to spec thicker bolts if the torque necessary to loosen the bolt is too high due to every-day corrosion. It was a particularly difficult job because the brackets wouldn't just pop off the top. I had to drop the subframe really far to get the brackets to clear the tie rod boots (this was harder than it should have been for me because those bolts were 1.5" down into the subframe). When my father-in-law and I sctuggled for an hour to pull the bar out, he figured out he could just drill out the nuts to separate the top and bottom halves of the brackets. I came in the next morning with a fresh mind to re-assemble the subframe with new brackets and the extra collar Tyrolsport sent me for that ordeal many dozens of thousands of miles ago.

I'm happy to say that the car feels really planted and direct after the fix, but I still have a clunk somewhere up front. It feels good to know there isn't anything more difficult to tackle in order to fix that clunk, too.

Also installed the RCD330 tonight:

Just installed. Really easy install. Nothing on this car has been so easy to plug and play.

I got the rcd330 187B noname with HW 451, SW Y510 and Bluetooth sw c210. Bad things first: call echo, USB chord hanging out the front.

Good things: red accents, sound quality (at low volumes - indistinguishable with the car in motion), absolutely flawless integration with the car (radio buttons work, the mute button mutes because I haven't reset it via vag-com yet, the look and fitment is perfect). The screen is really great. A "black" screen with the backlight on is not distracting at night like the RCD510, which I had shut completely off. Touchscreen responsiveness is great, too. ANDROID AUTO.

I'm a pretty techie person, but never really considered my car a piece of tech. The best I had was HD radio and hands-free calling, not to mention a huge battery and data drain on my phone when the rcd510 would auto-play Google music. Now this car now feels like a 2018-era car. I have Waze, Google play music that DOESN'T auto-play when I don't want it to, Google assistant, and best a system that updates over time.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Wasted an hour putting the car on a Dyno this morning. Got some knock codes on the way down there so timing was probably as conservative as possible. Only put down 250/240.