GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MASTER CLUTCH APPLICATION GUIDE - WHAT DO WE REALLY NEED?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
When there's a problem, people are always vocal; when something just works, a lot of times the majority are silent.

Very important point. There are some of us that find good solutions or products we love and run out and scream it from the rooftops to help and share with everyone. The vast majority of people only speak up when something exploded or came out of the box in pieces.

The stock disk was still thicker that the replacement and there seemed to be very little wear on it. After spending hours trying to reset the adjustment ring on the stock PP we said F it.

This was a very interesting read. Certainly lends even more weight to what I have always said. This isn't a parts strength problem (since failures spread across all power levels and mileage) but a PARTS or install issue. When you have a slipping clutch after 20k miles and you pull it and find no glazing or abuse on the disc, that says something.

HYDE asked me to speak up here as well, but I am still stock clutch at 11k miles which is about equally split between Stage 1 and Stage 2. And I plan to stay stock clutch until it DOES slip cause I want to see how long it will last to add that info to our database.

This thread is certainly added to my subscriptions.

Halvie

WOOSA
Guess I would also add that for some reason the chatter is less noticeable with the stage 4. It isn't the silent version, so really not sure if I am just more use to it or if it is because the clutch is much newer.

fraydknot

Passed Driver's Ed
Very important point. There are some of us that find good solutions or products we love and run out and scream it from the rooftops to help and share with everyone. The vast majority of people only speak up when something exploded or came out of the box in pieces.

This was a very interesting read. Certainly lends even more weight to what I have always said. This isn't a parts strength problem (since failures spread across all power levels and mileage) but a PARTS or install issue. When you have a slipping clutch after 20k miles and you pull it and find no glazing or abuse on the disc, that says something.

HYDE asked me to speak up here as well, but I am still stock clutch at 11k miles which is about equally split between Stage 1 and Stage 2. And I plan to stay stock clutch until it DOES slip cause I want to see how long it will last to add that info to our database.

This thread is certainly added to my subscriptions.

I tuned mine stage 1 at 1200 miles and it started slipping at 24,000.
If you go to Sachs performance sit they don't sell adjustable PPs with any of their performance stuff. I'm sure there is a reason. :thumbsup:

I will keep you all posted on my experience

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Another good thread hyde.....

fyi, my southbend clutch is a non-silent stage 2 endurance w/ flywheel

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
What's everyone's feelings on this thread: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33625

Basically the clutchmaster kits don't include a floating spline carrier, just like all the failed southbends. Is it a matter of time until we see springs popping out of their discs too?

The new revised Southbend silents do feature a floating spline carrier. I assume the have updated the problem with the marcel springs which were too thick...hence the revision, but have no concrete evidence.

Thoughts?

fraydknot

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is my dilemma.

Southbends revised silent stage 2 vs clutchmasters fx350 both with smf

HSTuning price for the Southbend is $1075 ringer for the fx350 is $1066 (basically same)

Which should I go with and why?

I would call south bend directly because you want the newest stock. Also what I got was the endurance stage 2 for 1200

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
What's everyone's feelings on this thread: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33625

Basically the clutchmaster kits don't include a floating spline carrier, just like all the failed southbends. Is it a matter of time until we see springs popping out of there discs too?

The new reviesed Southbend silents do feature a floating spline carrier. I assume the have updated the problem with the marcel springs which were too thick...hence the revision, but have no concrete evidence.

Thoughts?

I really think a lot of the Southbend stuff got blown out of proportion. Sure clutches failed, and given the labor involved in replacing a clutch it is a major PINA. But a lot of people run Southbend with no issue. I read that thread a while back and others, but the fact is nobody is going to start a thread that gets a lot of traction about how great their Southbend clutch is and they have no issues with it. The disasters are what we pay attention to and are what stick in our minds.

I really don't have a answer for you when it comes to the floating spline carrier, but I know the silent clutch is designed differently. The clutchmasters kits aren't a silent design correct? Maybe it's better to compare the non-silent kit to clutchmasters.

PS........ I'm knocking on wood right now lol.

JT641

Banned

Basically the clutchmaster kits don't include a floating spline carrier, just like all the failed southbends. Is it a matter of time until we see springs popping out of their discs too?

The new revised Southbend silents do feature a floating spline carrier. I assume the have updated the problem with the marcel springs which were too thick...hence the revision, but have no concrete evidence.

Thoughts?

So which one are you going with?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Okay I've got a lot to say about this thread. HYDE, thanks for pointing me here.

What's so great about this thread is that HYDE is a statistician, so he's prepared to bring meaning out of numbers from populations of data. Blackbelts do this by learning their system ahead of time and designing their experiments so that the numbers validate theories. I want to help by asking the right questions so that someone stumbling on this thread can say, "I want comfort with enough capability to hold Stage 2" and HYDE can present them with their options.

Right on!

I just purchased the CM fx400 6-puck

Oh wow, did this thread help you? Where did you purchase from?

Another good thread hyde.....

fyi, my southbend clutch is a non-silent stage 2 endurance w/ flywheel

Thank you! Updated the list

Hey HYDE!
Yes i did, gave clay a call and he took care of me!

Oh wow, glad you guys are saving money!

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
So which one are you going with?

Dude, I don't know....:confused:

I keep going back and forth. Clutchmasters seem great but without the floating spline carrier, I fear it's just a matter of time until we see the same failures. They have not been run long enough IMO

The silent Southbend seems to have all the right ingredients, except for the failure rate.

If we assume Southbend learned from all the problems, then they might be the best choice. :confused:

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

I keep going back and forth. Clutchmasters seem great but without the floating spline carrier, I fear it's just a matter of time until we see the same failures. They have not been run long enough IMO

The silent Southbend seems to have all the right ingredients, except for the failure rate.

If we assume Southbend learned from all the problems, then they might be the best choice. :confused:

You're right a definite dilemma....at the end of the day you will have to take a shot at one of them. If you stay K04 or less, go with the south bend drop in disc. If you want the LWFW go for the FX350 or less. I drove an FX250 and it was hella smooth. FX300 was very quiet and smooth as well.

Dom1

Ready to race!

After speaking with clay, he said hes been running the FX350 for a while - hes selling a product that is working great in his car and I believe for what I want with my car, in terms of performance and longevity, i made the right choice with the fx350 and im hoping I get many miles of use from it.

Regarding the floating spline carrier, ill let someone more tech savvy answer that one.. :confused: