GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MASTER CLUTCH APPLICATION GUIDE - WHAT DO WE REALLY NEED?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
After speaking with clay, he said hes been running the FX350 for a while - hes selling a product that is working great in his car and I believe for what I want with my car, in terms of performance and longevity, i made the right choice with the fx350 and im hoping I get many miles of use from it.

Regarding the floating spline carrier, ill let someone more tech savvy answer that one.. :confused:

FX350 is next for me if my South Bend disk slips at K04 over the next few months.

Dom1

Ready to race!
FX400 6 puck, 20,000miles, it's my daily and it has a lot of power. Not a single slip in the clutch but the car is very good at destroying tires.
Good to hear! Better to be destroying tires then clutches ;)

Dom1

Ready to race!
FX350 is next for me if my South Bend disk slips at K04 over the next few months.
It seems like such a great choice, with myself and many choosing it im sure there will be enough resources for any newcomers that need to be sold on it! Im wondering how it will be after say 5,000 miles. Im sure it will hold great and smooth out, and i just cant wait to give a review after its in!

JT641

Banned
Dude, I don't know....:confused:

I keep going back and forth. Clutchmasters seem great but without the floating spline carrier, I fear it's just a matter of time until we see the same failures. They have not been run long enough IMO

The silent Southbend seems to have all the right ingredients, except for the failure rate.

If we assume Southbend learned from all the problems, then they might be the best choice. :confused:

Yeah I analyzed it all to death, But in my opinion clutch masters seems like they've made clutches to better suit our cars & I'm sure they took what wasn't working with others companies clutches to make something that works better. Did you read Benders thread on the full face FX400 http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43188 Might at least help you decide on which brand to go with, It did for me.

fraydknot

Passed Driver's Ed
You're right a definite dilemma....at the end of the day you will have to take a shot at one of them. If you stay K04 or less, go with the south bend drop in disc. If you want the LWFW go for the FX350 or less. I drove an FX250 and it was hella smooth. FX300 was very quiet and smooth as well.

I don't necessarily agree on going with the drop in disk. If you do it it may work out fine for you but I honestly feel that the pressure plate is the failure when you're dealing with the stock setup. But just my opinion from first hand experience....... as my car is still sitting on my friends lift. LOL

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I don't necessarily agree on going with the drop in disk. If you do it it may work out fine for you but I honestly feel that the pressure plate is the failure when you're dealing with the stock setup. But just my opinion from first hand experience....... as my car is still sitting on my friends lift. LOL

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

What about the pressure plate signals to you that its weak?

2inTheMorning

Ready to race!
For my previous MKV GTI K04 TSI, I bought a SouthBend Stage 3 Silent Daily with SB flywheel (KTSIF-SS-O-PD). Long story, short version... I had it installed by an excellent VW tech, broke it in properly, and it started randomly sticking gears and randomly unable to shift into or out of all gears. This was not an installation issue as we tried everything, I believe it was either defective or a design issue. I was extremely unhappy with South Bend's complete lack of give a shit and, based on this experience, their attitude, and huge waste of $1750+, will never purchase anything SouthBend again. I know some others have had good luck with SB products. I believe you.

tl;dr: SouthBend, Will not buy again, do not recommend.

I am on APR stage 2 and 0 slip...
3rd gear 3000rpm and floor it? respond better than i can imagine.
5th gear 3000rpm and floor it? rpm slowly climbs... but no slip.

Great info here btw, pretty sure OEM will not hold K04 and now i know what to get and where to get when that happens : )

Thanks Ryan!

kern417

Go Kart Champion
I am on APR stage 2 and 0 slip...
3rd gear 3000rpm and floor it? respond better than i can imagine.
5th gear 3000rpm and floor it? rpm slowly climbs... but no slip.

Great info here btw, pretty sure OEM will not hold K04 and now i know what to get and where to get when that happens : )

Thanks Ryan!

i was in this same boat last summer/fall. my clutch didn't start slipping until about 3 months after i was stage 2 tuned, and that's after several high way pulls and fairly aggresive daily driving.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
For my previous MKV GTI K04 TSI, I bought a SouthBend Stage 3 Silent Daily with SB flywheel (KTSIF-SS-O-PD). Long story, short version... I had it installed by an excellent VW tech, broke it in properly, and it started randomly sticking gears and randomly unable to shift into or out of all gears. This was not an installation issue as we tried everything, I believe it was either defective or a design issue. I was extremely unhappy with South Bend's complete lack of give a shit and, based on this experience, their attitude, and huge waste of $1750+, will never purchase anything SouthBend again. I know some others have had good luck with SB products. I believe you.

tl;dr: SouthBend, Will not buy again, do not recommend.
I was afraid of this happening, that's why I got the non-silent version. How many miles did it take for it to start sticking gears?

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
I'm on a MK5 TSI with the mods in my sig, but I have a Southbend Stage2 Endurance (non silent) with 20k of hard miles on it so far, and it's been great. It grabs hard, and shifts awesome. I roll hard into boost a lot with it, so it definately gets a workout every time I go somewhere. I love it.. I can downshift like lightning

It's amazing how much power you lose with the stock clutch, even when you think it's not slipping

I installed the clutch myself on my lift, and then bled the system well afterwords. I think some of the issues with the clutches sticking is partly due to the thicker disks on some of them, but also because of our weak or in some cases, poorly bled slave cylinders.