GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

installed TT-RS brakes on stock Detroits

jlastor

I finally got to install my TT-RS brakes after a couple of month having them sitting around. I must admit I was once about to put them for sale since I was hesitant about having to play with different spacer sizes. I bit the bullet last week and ordered two sets of spacers from ECS; 8mm and 10.5mm. I wanted to use the 8mm up front and the 10.5 in the rear, but I thought that if needed I could try the 10.5 up front; which I had to.

So to get to the point, the brakes DO fit with stock Detroits!!

What is needed to make them fit? - 10mm (I have 10.5 but i guess that .5mm wont make much of a difference), and a new banjo bolt. THATS IT!

The person who sold me the brakes gave me a banjo bolt that fits since the stock GTI bolt will not fit, but you can use the stock lines. Only the banjo bolt needs to be replaced. It can be purchased at most auto parts stores.

What about the balancing weights? - Well, may wheels had very thing weights so that was not an issue for me. Lets see what happens when I change tires and rebalance... But I guess that worst case scenario they can be placed on the other side (closest to the car).

What about performance? - first of all I must start saying that the TT-RS and the stock GTI brakes are about the same weight. I did not get to put them on a scale but after taking out one side of the GTI brakes I compared them and they felt about the same weight.

So what that means is that the car accelerates from a stop just as it was with stock brakes. I have heard several people complains about installing Porsche brakes and having so much additional unsprung weight that the car feels sluggish when accelerating normally on a stop light.

Braking power is simply astonishing! Period. I cant think of anything else to say. I mean, the brakes respond so well that it makes me laugh every time.

Pedal feel is the same as stock. Not longer, not shorter, not firmer, not smoother. Simply the same as before. Driving around normally and apply brakes to slow down a little and you will feel no difference as stock. Let someone drive your car (not me, but if you do) and the person will not over brake, not make you eat the dash. Now... You need to brake hard, and you better be ready because they are ready to stop you quickly. But you will feel the brakes do what you want them to do. Again, like a normal car is designed to do, only this time much better than stock.

Pictures?

Angled shot of the car. H&R Super Sports, 8mm spacer in the rear, 10.5mm front

Side shot of wheel with brake

Space between wheel and caliper

Any other info please ask as I cant come up with any other doubt I had when doing my install. If I dont answer quickly, I apologize since I sometimes forget to check the forum. But I will eventually answer.

Thanks!

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
nice, ive been looking at it as well...do you know how much the replacement rotors will be? im thinking of going porsche boxster ones as we retain oem rotors

jlastor

ECS has the pair of rotors for $400 plus shipping. OEM pads are expensive, but supposedly the STI and EVO pads are the same, and there is a lot of options for those cars in the $120 range.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Can u measure the clearance of the wheel and caliper. Everything I read said 12 mm spacers needed up front.

jlastor

I dont know which banjo bolt exactly since it was given to me by the person who sold me the brakes.

Only 4 pistons but way more than enough.

kineticMKVI

Ready to race!
No special brackets needed. The oem ttrs brackets bolt right up. No upgraded master cylinder needed on mk6 GTIs

I thought these were designed for a 25.40mm MC ( RS3, TT-RS), where the MK6 is 23.81mm ( MKV R32, MKVI GTI, Golf R).

Disclaimer: I have no real world experience here, this is just what I have read.

OP,

How much longer is your pedal travel with these calipers?

wbean

attention whore
I thought these were designed for a 25.40mm MC ( RS3, TT-RS), where the MK6 is 23.81mm ( MKV R32, MKVI GTI, Golf R).

Disclaimer: I have no real world experience here, this is just what I have read.

OP,

How much longer is your pedal travel with these calipers?

that's such a bias question .. how do u expect him to answer u? it's XXXX longer. about the length of my pinky? :bellyroll:

these are basically the same as any 4 piston brembo set up. these are simply revampled 4 piston brembos. search up review on any porsche caliper. Also this depends on fluid he used and if he upgraded the lines on the TTRS and brake pad usage and the wear of the pads.