GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

coilpacks

Jet DH

Passed Driver's Ed
So Im at 100k miles and should prolly replace my coilpacks on my 2013 5cyl.

Where is a good place to get them from that isn't a complete rip off?

and

Are there or is there any point to upgrading them? Like putting in some from GTI, R or maybe Audi?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I personally don't think there is a real benefit to upgrading but that's just me. I got mine on Amazon for $29 bucks a pop. I think it was just under $200 for 5 OEM VW coils and plugs. I think that was the cheapest I found the OEM ones. You can buy the kit on ECS for just over $200 I believe. i am assuming your're going to replace the plugs as well. You can get bosch for $25 a piece. Or you can go the R8 route. Lots of options.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I personally don't think there is a real benefit to upgrading but that's just me. I got mine on Amazon for $29 bucks a pop. I think it was just under $200 for 5 OEM VW coils and plugs. I think that was the cheapest I found the OEM ones. You can buy the kit on ECS for just over $200 I believe. i am assuming your're going to replace the plugs as well. You can get bosch for $25 a piece. Or you can go the R8 route. Lots of options.
+1 I run the Bosch Redtops I got from ShopDAP, when I originally purchased I tried them back to back with the new VW Coilpacks and there is no difference.

Here is a link, choose what makes you happy:
https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...mk6-2010-2014/engine/2-5/repair/ignition.html

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Wow. $108 for a set of 5. That's a good deal.
Yes but the spark plugs aren't included for that price,...in the beginning ShopDAP they used to be included.

BUT then again, I'm using the cheap Copper NGK ZFR5E-11 spark plugs ($2.21 each at NAPA, ~$15 for the set), and they are still performing well after 60K km (36K miles)

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
So Im at 100k miles and should prolly replace my coilpacks on my 2013 5cyl.

Where is a good place to get them from that isn't a complete rip off?

and

Are there or is there any point to upgrading them? Like putting in some from GTI, R or maybe Audi?

They are a replace when it fails type part. Work or they don't. No need to replace them until they fail. Likely to last long time on a naturally aspirated motor. The 4cyl turbo motor generates considerably more heat in that area and I believe it contributes to coils being a common point of failure on those motors.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
They are a replace when it fails type part. Work or they don't. No need to replace them until they fail. Likely to last long time on a naturally aspirated motor. The 4cyl turbo motor generates considerably more heat in that area and I believe it contributes to coils being a common point of failure on those motors.
I agree about the heat and the fact that the coil packs last forever in the normally aspirated 2.5 engine in the Golf; but IMO the coil pack burns out quicker in the 20T because of the way it is used in the direct injection/stratification setup of the 2.0T engine. Basically the coils packs burn out faster because they apply a longer spark duration to the coil to fire the spark plug to start the flame front in an initially very very lean mixture in the combustion chamber, the majority and rest of the fuel quantity is injected after that to feed the flame, that pushs the piston down.

Last edited: